Gnarly Crosswinds on Carrier Traps

In both Missions 2 and 4 (M3 froze right before I was due to start my approach, so I just skipped it, no idea if this issue applies to that mission as well), there is a very powerful crosswind on final to the carrier. This has led to some of the most insanely difficult carrier landings I've ever attempted. My understanding is that, most of the time, the carrier would turn into the wind to avoid this issue. Is this intentional? If so, I don't necessarily mind, but perhaps a word of warning might be in order.

10 hours ago, FMBluecher said:

In both Missions 2 and 4 (M3 froze right before I was due to start my approach, so I just skipped it, no idea if this issue applies to that mission as well), there is a very powerful crosswind on final to the carrier. This has led to some of the most insanely difficult carrier landings I've ever attempted. My understanding is that, most of the time, the carrier would turn into the wind to avoid this issue. Is this intentional? If so, I don't necessarily mind, but perhaps a word of warning might be in order.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. It shouldn't be like that. There is supposed to be head wind like told in briefing documentation. In mission 2 10 kts almost straight to the nose and in mission 4 20 kts less than 30 degrees from left side causing less than 10 kts crosswind. I will check if there is something wrong.

image.pngimage.png

I didn't have time to replay the whole mission, but I recreated the settings in the ME, and here's what I saw:

nullimage.png

It's probably not quite as bad as it seemed to me at the time, but I've never had to face my nose so far off the angle to do a carrier trap before. (Also, if you look at my airspeed, this is an incredibly sloppy and too fast approach; if I were going proper on-speed AoA it would probably be even worse.)

I'm not complaining, mind you--I just think that if this is an intentional part of the challenge, it seems like at some point the player should be warned "hey, the carrier is kind of locked into their BRC because of nearby territorial waters so we can't face into the wind; you're going to have to trap with some serious crosswind" or something to that effect. At first, I thought I had over-G'd the INS because the flight path marker was so far off to the side!

• Like 1

Thanks for your demonstration. Somehow I haven't paid attention it causing this much sidewind component. It's not meant to be landing challenge so I will do something about it. I'm currently making large scale overhaul for all missions to solve performance problems especially with VR. I will fix this also. It just will take some time.

• Like 3