New PC build conundrum,

Another day, another “new pc”question 😁 Oh and for reference I use a Reverb G2.

My particular conundrum, that I’d be most grateful for some advice on, is as follow. 

Last year I bought an Alienware R10 with a 5900x and a 3090. Now as I’m sure you all know the thermals in these things aren’t great and my cpu temps are pretty regularly heading into the mid to high 80s, occasionally 90. Also this thing sounds like a Chinook in a hover.

So my plan is (was) to buy a new PC minus the cpu and gpu. But of course as soon as you start researching these things you discover there’s new hardware just round the corner and now is a bad time to upgrade, ever was it so. 🧐

Basically if I go with my original plan I may well have enough money left over  to buy a 40 series card when they come out. Where as if I wait I’m guessing the new cpus, motherboards and ddr5 RAM will cost a fair bit more and not leave me enough to get a 40 series card.

So what do you think would be the better bet? I’m inclined to think a 5900x with ddr4 ram and a 4090 is going to do better in DCS than the new cpus, ddr5 and a 3090. But I’m no expert, and some help would be hugely appreciated. 

Also, whilst I’m at it, the chap I spoke to at Overclockers UK told me an 850w power supply is more than enough for a 3090 & 5900x. The R10 has a 1000w. But will 850w be enough if I get a 4090 in the future?

Thanks in advance for any advice. 👍

Be careful about power transients. 

Seems that a PSU that is higher than you need may have the head room to filter out the spikes?

Edit- I do not think anyone really knows yet what the power requirements are for the 4090 series.  The oem nvidia will be at one level and then the board partners may boost that higher still.

I've read some "leaks" that say it will be 600 watts blah blah. I've seen other stories that say 450 watts.  I hope that the estimates are wrong.  600w just for gpu is nuts.

If you are set on a 4090, and buy a psu now, you may have to  buy another psu if 600 turns out to be the case.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by NoCoolName66

On 8/3/2022 at 10:13 AM, Digitalvole said:

Another day, another “new pc”question 😁 Oh and for reference I use a Reverb G2.

My particular conundrum, that I’d be most grateful for some advice on, is as follow. 

Last year I bought an Alienware R10 with a 5900x and a 3090. Now as I’m sure you all know the thermals in these things aren’t great and my cpu temps are pretty regularly heading into the mid to high 80s, occasionally 90. Also this thing sounds like a Chinook in a hover.

So my plan is (was) to buy a new PC minus the cpu and gpu. But of course as soon as you start researching these things you discover there’s new hardware just round the corner and now is a bad time to upgrade, ever was it so. 🧐

Basically if I go with my original plan I may well have enough money left over  to buy a 40 series card when they come out. Where as if I wait I’m guessing the new cpus, motherboards and ddr5 RAM will cost a fair bit more and not leave me enough to get a 40 series card.

So what do you think would be the better bet? I’m inclined to think a 5900x with ddr4 ram and a 4090 is going to do better in DCS than the new cpus, ddr5 and a 3090. But I’m no expert, and some help would be hugely appreciated. 

Also, whilst I’m at it, the chap I spoke to at Overclockers UK told me an 850w power supply is more than enough for a 3090 & 5900x. The R10 has a 1000w. But will 850w be enough if I get a 4090 in the future?

Thanks in advance for any advice. 👍

DCS is mostly about GPU raw power these days, and the ammount of video memory (VRAM) it has.
RAM is important, but any decent speed and latency does the job fine, so long as it's 64GB (especially for MP).
CPU is important, but a mid-range Intel i5 12600K or AMD Ryzen 5 5600X is all that you'll need, really.
Wether you'll need more than a 1000W PSU, or not, is up in the air. I doubt that 850W will cut it - the RTX3090Ti already suggests a 1000W PSU as standard.

These are the latest rumoured specs for Nvidia RTX 4000 series, including TDP:

image.jpeg

In my opinion, you only have two options:

1. Either pay by the nose and get the best performance you can get right now from the currently available top parts.
...or.... 
2. Wait untill who knows when, then pay by the nose to get better performance with newer/better top parts once they are out.

I will never tell a man how to spend his money but, I have to say, to see the super high costs people are willing to pay these days for a PC rig, just to use DCS (especially with VR) are sometimes dumbfounding to me.
Pardon my rant but, the problem is the bad performance with the game, and we should never have to resort to this sort of ridiculous high hardware power, and respective high costs, to fully enjoy content that we pay.

I'd definitely prefer to live with a more affordable PC and lower settings. Rather than pay a ridiculous high sum which, in the end, serves to congratulate the poor job from the devs on optimization, which is something that must be contested more harshly by everybody (instead of supported, by buying ultra-high-end hardware!). That should have been made priority #1 for years now - not new modules, not fancier (and even heavier!) graphics.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Either way, rule of thumb will point you towards the 1kW PSU.

Even with the "lower" TDP of 450w, which it will then actually consume during gameplay, plus the CPU + mobo + etc. which will surely be higher than 100w will bring you certainly above 550w real consumption, which means ~600w intake. I would not consider a 850w the right choice if you game daily at 550-600w actual output. Over time this won't pay back and has the potency of going catastrophic if you end up with a so-so-la-la 850w PSU  If you go 850w, get the best one money can buy.

edit:   the rule of thumb for sizing a desktop PSU

Rule of thumb says: buy a PSU with a wattage DOUBLE of your prime heavy use. In your case, gaming on a 400-600w GPU = minimum 500w total power draw = 1kW PSU. Actually better 1.2kW if you intend to buy the 4090ti @ 600watts.  PSU run most efficient at 50% Load. The higher the load the less efficient they become and the lesser the quality of elctricity in general they deliver and thus do harm your components more than others.

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X