Mission 9

Has anyone got a walk thru of mission 9?  I can't seem to beat it.  Those two Mig-29s whack me every time.  Maybe I'm hanging around too long.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Edited by Chicki
boo-boo

On 8/3/2022 at 7:05 PM, Chicki said:

Has anyone got a walk thru of mission 9?  I can't seem to beat it.  Those two Mig-29s whack me every time.  Maybe I'm hanging around too long.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi, there's a few ways to approach the Migs, but I'll caveat this all  by saying I haven't flown this mission since the AI A2A update so AI behavior has probably improved a little.  As always in my campaigns, not fighting is an option, so you have the option of not engaging and just going home...but of course this would be bad for the Tornadoes, not to mention boring so let's assume you are going to engage.  

You have a few A2A tactical options available to you in this mission.  

Spoiler

The bracket can work really well, as hopefully shown in M8, but if you're struggling the drag can be the best option.  In the drag your wingman acts as bait and I have programmed it so they will take the bait and ignore you for a short time, so the drag gives you a little more breathing space.  The migs are also only armed with AA-8 IR missiles so you should look to out-range them with your Amraams.

You also don't need to kill the Migs, after 3 minutes they will disengage and look to bug out, so if you get in a turning fight with them you may be able to wear them down this way.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2022 at 4:22 AM, ChillNG said:

You also don't need to kill the Migs, after 3 minutes they will disengage and look to bug out, so if you get in a turning fight with them you may be able to wear them down this way.

Ah, that explains how I got through that bit. Perhaps dumb luck I didn’t eat a Fox 2.

I’m having a problem where I can’t lock air targets. I could see these Migs via DataLink (red diamonds), both on the SA page and A/A radar, but I could not for the life of me get a radar lock. I searched all up and down and could never get a radar ‘brick’ on which to depress the TDC. I’ve tried RWS, TWS, AAMRAM selected and not*. I have A/A master mode on, Master Arm selected and ECM in Receive (not Xmit). If I can see a brick on the radar, I can select it (tested this on some friendlies), but I can never get bogeys/bandits to show a brick. 

*I think. Would being in boresight mode prevent getting a lock via the radar?

Actually, it’s been happening all campaign. I can’t figure it out. 

I am absolutely loving this campaign, by the way. My second campaign ever and first in the Hornet, with about 50-ish hours in the bug. The learning curve is about perfect - I try a mission first, then if I fail at something find a tutorial (either mission tutorial or even just a particular weapon tutorial) and then I’m usually good to go. It’s forcing me to learn weapons I would otherwise avoid, which is excellent). Scored 100 for one mission and got super excited (previously scoring typically in the 80s), so told my wife who then gave me a very diplomatic “well done, dear”. 🤣 

5600X, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz Cl14, Hero VIII X570, 1TB NVMe + 2x 1TB SSD, custom loop, O-11D, 34" Ultrawide.

WinWing Orion 2 stick w Hornet grip, WW Super Taurus F/A18 throttle, WW T/O & CR panels, MFG Crosswind V3, 3 x TM Cougar MFDs with screens, WinWing F/A18 UFC, TekCreations annunciator panels, DelanClip & PSEye mod.

IRL trained to fly in Australian Army Aviation Corps. Hard Quiz, s06e06 Top Gun expert (IYKYK).

14 hours ago, Roller83 said:

Ah, that explains how I got through that bit. Perhaps dumb luck I didn’t eat a Fox 2.

I’m having a problem where I can’t lock air targets. I could see these Migs via DataLink (red diamonds), both on the SA page and A/A radar, but I could not for the life of me get a radar lock. I searched all up and down and could never get a radar ‘brick’ on which to depress the TDC. I’ve tried RWS, TWS, AAMRAM selected and not*. I have A/A master mode on, Master Arm selected and ECM in Receive (not Xmit). If I can see a brick on the radar, I can select it (tested this on some friendlies), but I can never get bogeys/bandits to show a brick. 

*I think. Would being in boresight mode prevent getting a lock via the radar?

Actually, it’s been happening all campaign. I can’t figure it out. 

I am absolutely loving this campaign, by the way. My second campaign ever and first in the Hornet, with about 50-ish hours in the bug. The learning curve is about perfect - I try a mission first, then if I fail at something find a tutorial (either mission tutorial or even just a particular weapon tutorial) and then I’m usually good to go. It’s forcing me to learn weapons I would otherwise avoid, which is excellent). Scored 100 for one mission and got super excited (previously scoring typically in the 80s), so told my wife who then gave me a very diplomatic “well done, dear”. 🤣 

Thanks, glad to hear you're enjoying.  Getting 100 can be very difficult, it is certainly an achievement, we are all proud of you even if you're wife isn't 🤣.

As for the radar, I'm well outside my area of expertise here and I've barely flown the Hornet since January.  I suspect it's to do with the modelling and how it's been updated, there is some discussion about difficulties I saw today linked below.  If anyone else a bot more knowledgeable than myself can weigh in that would be awesome.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Razor18 said:

Oh... I see now. That SA-9 is definitely not in any of the revetments you marked with red circles... 😊

image.png

No IIRC I think the revetments referred to the SA-19 common locations.  Always like to throw a curve ball at you as well 😁

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

the last  time  i flown  this mission  compared  to  the  others   is  than  after  departure  says  handing off  etc   i dont hear   resume  own  navigation  as  in the  other  missions  i had  flown so  than i  go to wp 1   and  get  the  message  your entering  restricted  airspace turn  away etc

Edited by pete_auau