Crash at terrain init 1 navgraph

PSYKOnz

Hi there

Today I started having a full ctd of DCs when ever I load a map, it seems to get to either routs or more commanly the terrain init navgraph then it freezes and crashes 

I've looked through the logs and can't seem to see anything glaring sticking out at me so I'm a bit lost, what part of the error log should I be looking at?

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

8 minutes ago, PSYKOnz said:

Hi there

Today I started having a full ctd of DCs when ever I load a map, it seems to get to either routs or more commanly the terrain init navgraph then it freezes and crashes 

I've looked through the logs and can't seem to see anything glaring sticking out at me so I'm a bit lost, what part of the error log should I be looking at?

i suggest you post your latest dcs.log. also a trk of the incident if possible.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I should add I have tried repairs and they either worked once and then went back to the issue or didn't change a thing

Does not seem to matter what jet I'm in

Does not matter how I launch either, it won't load into mission editor or mission or even instant action

Dcs worked fine on Wednesday but is not now,

I was making up a mission when all this stuff started

I really dont understand what's happening 

Hi. Since the crashing DLL is from Windows ("C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll"), you should have an explanatory error message in your Event Viewer. Open it and look into the Apps log at the time of your crash. Please attach a screenshot of this error in the Event viewer message.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Will do, 

In the meantime I did a full reinstall of DCS and that seems to have fixed it the issue, might have been a reinstall of VC runtime as part of the install that fixed it maybe?

Ill post up a screen shot of event viewer shortly

there are a few errors but here's the one related to VCRuntime

Faulting application name: DCS.exe, version: 2.7.16.28157, time stamp: 0x62e3d3bf
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.28.29913.0, time stamp: 0x6041a7e8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000001989
Faulting process id: 0x36b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8a86ef26f54bc
Faulting application path: E:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: 4587e17a-baf1-41f5-9239-8bc4dcbed8c6
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Fault bucket 1640216166324695637, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DCS.exe
P2: 2.7.16.28157
P3: 62e3d3bf
P4: VCRUNTIME140.dll
P5: 14.28.29913.0
P6: 6041a7e8
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000001989
P9: 
P10: 

i also get these...

Faulting application name: DCS.exe, version: 2.7.16.28157, time stamp: 0x62e3d3bf
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.832, time stamp: 0x3907dfbc
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010c9a9
Faulting process id: 0x63c4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8a86f6fcde255
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d24ab595-5b1e-4ec2-ac1a-c83ecbdf3502

Faulting module name: Inter.dll, version: 2.7.16.28157, time stamp: 0x62d186f9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000051d0
Faulting process id: 0x147c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8a8703b7e1b3a
Faulting module path: E:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\Inter.dll
Report Id: 1de0b934-224d-4214-b276-54b54aa21553

I wonder if the last windows 11 update casued the issues?

Since posting the event viewer stuff I've done a sfc scan and it found errors and fixed them

I'm a bit confused as to what's happened to cause the issues, seems all very strange

Hoping someone here can shed some light on it 

• Like 2

Thanks for your feedback. It may be possible that some DCS files were corrupted as well (bad sectors, I guess?), leading to the crashes you saw.

I doubt a W11 update could compromise DCS files directly.

If CTDs come back, please report here.

37 minutes ago, PSYKOnz said:

I wonder if the last windows 11 update casued the issues?

Since posting the event viewer stuff I've done a sfc scan and it found errors and fixed them

I'm a bit confused as to what's happened to cause the issues, seems all very strange

Hoping someone here can shed some light on it 

visual c++ can become corrupted too most definitely. we started using a new router and vpn clients recently and one machine needed to have VC repaired.

• Like 1

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Will do!

For anyone looking with a similar issue, here's a time line and steps I took after 

DCS started up and worked fine this morning and worked great for about an hour, while I was building a mission, then the crashes started, they started when I went to fly the mission I was building on the Persian gulf map, it crashed once then was fine for about 10 mins, then crashed again, several crashes and full repairs later it just stopped functioning at all, I assumed something in the editor or mission file has messed it up, crashes every way of starting a mission, even instant action missions on different maps with different jets

Steps I took after I posted the OP here, the idea was to try everything untill there was feedback here to see if I could crack it..

I sent every DCS crash report through the gui

Tried 3 other games, no issues

Deleted files to do with terrains and repaired, no luck

Ran memtest86, pass

Ran dxdiag, no issues

Virus scan, nothing

Removed GPU Over Clock, no change

Backed up DCS files and then completely removed all traces of DCS

Reinstalled DCS, this seemed to have fixed the issue

Rebuilt DCS, still works 

Ran the Sfc/scan now, errors found and fixed

So far DCS is still working, looks like the reinstall was the solution to the problem, takes bloody ages tho haha

Hell of a way to spend a day

Thanks to everyone who helped out with it too!

4 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

visual c++ can become corrupted too most definitely. we started using a new router and vpn clients recently and one machine needed to have VC repaired.

I wonder what, why or how these things just corrupt, there must be something doing it surly?

• Like 2

I had corrupted terrain files some weeks ago. The Event Viewer told me which file was causing the initial crash. I deleted it then repaired DCS, then another file from the same folder was causing the same issue. I deleted the whole terrain, repaired and it passed.

No idea how I got these corrupted files in the first place. Aging SSD maybe?

• Like 1

Yea that's what I'm finding so strange, just corrupted out of nowhere, I tried the same approach but with less wisdoms, next time I'll check the event viewer for sure,

In my case DCS is on a 3 month old NVME drive, which I checked and is all In perfect health, very strange indeed

Best news is that I learned something useful today, using the event viewer! Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

Next trick will be to try figure out what corrupted it 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PSYKOnz said:

I wonder what, why or how these things just corrupt, there must be something doing it surly?

there are shared files between each version of C++. and not all programs use the same version. so you may have several different versions installed. perhaps another version was installed / updated and it changed a file that DCS version needed. it is really difficult to test with every version. so devs miss it. during my time in IT since 1989 had times where i helped fix this sort of thing.

here is what i have. you can look at the date installed compared to dcs folder date.

null

image.png

• Like 1