Is it just me or is the engine really silent when you have "hear like in helmet" option on?

MarkP

Hi,

i fly all sort of planes in DCS and always have the "hear like in helmet" option on, otherwise i cant hear the radios, bitching betty etc.

In the F1 it seems like the enginesounde especially on idle is too low. When i start the engine you cant hear anything at all, which made me think i had sound problems. You guys have that too?

• Like 2

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

You might be interested by this thread:

For some reason, engine sounds have changed for some users since last patch. For them, the engine is barely audible in cockpit view. Mods don't seem to be the cause. You might be affected too (listen to the external sound in the video).

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:25 AM, Flappie said:

For some reason, engine sounds have changed for some users since last patch. For them, the engine is barely audible in cockpit view. Mods don't seem to be the cause. You might be affected too (listen to the external sound in the video).

Thanks. Yea its likely. I added a video to the post you quoted. Thanks 🙂

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

On 8/5/2022 at 5:25 AM, Flappie said:

I thought that was done in purpose. I like the way it is after the patch, though I fly with that option  un-checked.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a general though on "Jet Engine" noise. Whilst I would personally prefer a more exaggerated "movie" like sound, from watching a lot of in-cockpit youtube videos of different jet-fighters, I have to admit that pretty much all of them sounded like vacuum cleaner on low setting at best. And mostly those videos are taken with a gopro directly in the cockpit - not even "under a helmet".

I'm not contributing to the question if there is a bug or somewhat. I just figured, that I probably have to adjust my expectations. 😬

Edit: ABs may be a different matter - there is not so much footage. One would assume they roar like hell, but that may also be a misconception (referring to the "in" cockpit noise). I don't know.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

They do roar, but my guess is wearing a helmet it is more of a rumble and perhaps more seat-of-the-pants. This being a sim with no tactile feedback, we need a little bit of an audio cue to replace what we lack in raw feeling.

• Like 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

1 hour ago, Tiger-II said:

This being a sim with no tactile feedback, we need a little bit of an audio cue to replace what we lack in raw feeling.

My thoughts exactly! But I figured that is a very divisive topic unfortunately.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I fly in with hear like in helmet. Idk I guess I'd need to sit in an f1 with a headset on but I thought it sounded a bit off. I'm an aircraft mechanic and alot of times it is alot quieter and sounds different then what your expecting irl but for some reason I thought it sounded a bit funky. Ab sounds fine tho and I'm not bothered by it or anything. Hell during ground run and flight on real jets some jets make me sleepy with an almost harmonic pulse at certain power settings. Lol 😆 I'm sure tweaks will be made here an there with sounds anyway.