Alternative Cockpit?

Spectrum48k

Are there any plans for an Alternative Cockpit, a new shiny one instead of one that looks like the plane has been left to rot in the garden for years.  Hardly anything is readable in VR.  I know it's an old plane but so are the WW2 models and they're in better condition.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Intel i9 - 149000K CPU @ 5.38GHz

MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

HyperX Fury 64gb 5200MHz

MSI MPG Z790

Logitech X-56      VR - HP G2 Reverb V2

7 hours ago, draconus said:

The cockpit represents the average Tomcat on the deployment. What exactly is not readable?

Not really. It’s A faithful recreation of the beat to hell museum relic they scanned. As for your question as to what’s generally not readable and completely unreadable in VR (not exhaustive and in no particular order)

* the entire VTR box

* the entire HUD camera control head

* the emergency hydraulics switch and control head

* 75% of  Master Test panel is unrecognizable 

* both floods and the taxi light switch 

*the ICLS power switch 

* the hook bypass switch

* The entire threat warning indicator

* the entire left hand, windshield warning indicators 

* the missile mode switch, master caution reset switch, SEAM, collision and hot trigger lights 

* both engine stall annunciators 

* both banks of VDI caution lights 

* Hydraulic isolation switch labeling 

* most throttle markings (not really important, but you asked)

* backup ignition switch

* throttle mode switch, backup ignition switch, right and left engine mode switches, 

* the entire SAS panel

* VEC/PCD switch

I love the Tomcat and fly it every chance I get. I understand realism, but I also want an option for a ‘in her prime” cockpit and not the end of last f-14 cruise, no spare parts, beat to **** cockpit. A crisper, newer version of the cockpit isn’t a crazy ask. I’m an old UH-60A/L CE and we had some absolute battle pigs that landed in and out of improvised landing areas, grunts dragging mortar plates across floors, brown outs that flood the interior with dirt like you wouldn’t believe and not a one of them looked as bad as the in-game tomcat cockpit  

Edited by Hobo 1-1
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Hobo 1-1 said:

I love the Tomcat and fly it every chance I get. I understand realism, but I also want an option for a ‘in her prime” cockpit and not the end of last f-14 cruise, no spare parts, beat to **** cockpit. A crisper, newer version of the cockpit isn’t a crazy ask. I’m an old UH-60A/L CE and we had some absolute battle pigs that landed in and out of improvised landing areas, grunts dragging mortar plates across floors, brown outs that flood the interior with dirt like you wouldn’t believe and not a one of them looked as bad as the in-game tomcat cockpit  

Dunno. I look at an 80s Tomcat and I'm not thinking "damn, so fresh I'll bet you could smell Long Island". It looks kinda dirty and worn, but then again the cockpit has never really presented legibility issues for me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hobo 1-1 said:

Not really. It’s A faithful recreation of the beat to hell museum relic they scanned. As for your question as to what’s generally not readable and completely unreadable in VR (not exhaustive and in no particular order)

You may disagree but we've been told by SMEs and RL pilot that's how it looked even few months in service on the deck, salt water and stuff. I thought you meant something important like a gauge or instrument but labels... you're not supposed to read it, esp. during a flight.

An option for a clean cockpit, while frequently requested, is not likely to happen due to the need for huge amount of work, as HB said.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

The only example of like a super clean F-14 would be images from the book The Cutting Edge by CJ Heatley which were taken during the beginning of the F-14 deployments iirc.

unknown.png

Edited by DSplayer
  • Like 8

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

1 hour ago, DSplayer said:

The only example of like a super clean F-14 would be images from the book The Cutting Edge by CJ Heatley which were taken during the beginning of the F-14 deployments iirc.

unknown.png

Just to clarify, these pics were not from the F-14's first deployment (apologies if you meant from the beginning of this particular deployment).  They are of VF-1 and VF-2 from the late 80's.  I don't know about this particular one, but some of those F-14A's could have been almost 15 years old by this point.  This one certainly looks clean, though.  There's another pic in the book that shows one of the warning lights lit up on the right side of the VDI....in broad daylight!

Edited by WarthogOsl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, WarthogOsl said:

Just to clarify, these pics were not from the F-14's first deployment (apologies if you meant from the beginning of this particular deployment).  They are of VF-1 and VF-2 from the late 80's.  I don't know about this particular one, but some of those F-14A's could have been almost 15 years old by this point.  This one certainly looks clean, though.  There's another pic in the book that shows one of the warning lights lit up on the right side of the VDI....in broad daylight!

Ah I was just saying what another forum author said a couple years back when I first heard of the book. The cockpit does look extremely clean though. The lack of missing paint and scratches is pretty amazing.

Here's a lower res image that you were referring to. Wing sweep indicator warning light is on and pretty bright like you said.

unknown.png

• Like 4

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

I've sat in all 3 variants cockpits in the late 90s,

they are all pretty much about the same, and heatblur's visual representation is pretty much spot on, 

I know pilots that said they were only clean for the first few months after they received them, after that, it was pretty much the norm for them to be worn and dirty.
They knew what everything was by studying the manuals, the need for labels was pretty much for new pilots or ground crew by that point.

the museum relics as you call them, sat with the canopy closed for decades, no one in them to get them worn out or dirty, and the few that are fully intact are indoors, and roped off.
The museum relics are prolly better taken care of now than they have ever been deployed (cleaning wise).

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

8 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Ah I was just saying what another forum author said a couple years back when I first heard of the book. The cockpit does look extremely clean though. The lack of missing paint and scratches is pretty amazing.

Here's a lower res image that you were referring to. Wing sweep indicator warning light is on and pretty bright like you said.

unknown.png

You'll notice too no cataract bloom in the letters of the warning light. 

On 8/6/2022 at 4:55 PM, DSplayer said:

unknown.png

Man that’s sexy. I understand the reality of fleet life,  it I don’t want that. I want a more romantic view visually. That’s just me though and I completely respect those who don’t agree with me. No issue. I listed off the legibility concerns not as an argument against ‘the truth’ but more as a “this is a game I enjoy the hell out of and would love a pristine cockpit”. 

Thank you for the awesome picture :)

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 11:27 PM, SkateZilla said:

I've sat in all 3 variants cockpits in the late 90s,

they are all pretty much about the same, and heatblur's visual representation is pretty much spot on, 

I know pilots that said they were only clean for the first few months after they received them, after that, it was pretty much the norm for them to be worn and dirty.
They knew what everything was by studying the manuals, the need for labels was pretty much for new pilots or ground crew by that point.

the museum relics as you call them, sat with the canopy closed for decades, no one in them to get them worn out or dirty, and the few that are fully intact are indoors, and roped off.
The museum relics are prolly better taken care of now than they have ever been deployed (cleaning wise).

I meant no disrespect to your experiences or the aircraft. I will also defer to your experience. Thanks for sharing. 👍🏻

On 8/6/2022 at 9:55 PM, DSplayer said:

Spoiler

Why is this guy's altimeter in standby?

3 hours ago, JupiterJoe said:

Why is this guy's altimeter in standby?

I have no idea but I had to look at that image for like a minute and still wasnt 100% sure someone didnt just photo shop pilot legs into a dcs screen shot. Cover up the bottom half and Im not sure one could say that it was a real life photo vs dcs.

there's many things about that image that seem off.
Like why is he in a bank with another F-14A on TCS, but no hands on his stick?

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

vor 5 Minuten schrieb SkateZilla:

there's many things about that image that seem off.
Like why is he in a bank with another F-14A on TCS, but no hands on his stick?

He had to take the photo.

But why not counting the flight hours in DCS and set a trigger at 50 hours to switch the cockpit textures from factory new to worn out and again at 100 hours to more worn out textures?

Wouldn´t be such difficult to program and gives some personal note and connection to the module. 

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

7 minutes ago, Rosebud47 said:

He had to take the photo.

But why not counting the flight hours in DCS and set a trigger at 50 hours to switch the cockpit textures from factory new to worn out and again at 100 hours to more worn out textures?

Wouldn´t be such difficult to program and gives some personal note and connection to the module. 

It would take a lot of time to do several different levels of weathering.

• Like 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Wingmate:

It would take a lot of time to do several different levels of weathering.

People will love it!

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

15 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

Yet it's still something they sold to us in their preorder list of things to come with the "dynamic cockpit"null

image.png

image.png

Dynamic Cockpit wasnt a Early Access Feature was it?