Airframe failure

Viciam1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Viciam1:

Hello, is airframe failure a thing for f16? If you're in a dive at full burn and going like mach 1.6+ and pull up fully...will the plane break up? 

It might happen if you carry a full AG payload and try to pull 9g's 😆

Edited by Jagdgeschwader

Viggen GIF 2.gif

"If we don't end war, war will end us."  

H. G. Wells

i have never done it in viper. though i did yank the stick in tomcat once and jester screamed. the plane got messed up pretty bad.

https://www.pcwiseman.com/downloads_files/Tacview-20210415-173505-DCS-SYR.acmi

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

45 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

As much as I tested, it never broke when going down, always up. And it never killed the pilot.

the tomcat in my example was in level flight when i pulled up and broke into pieces.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

37 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

the tomcat in my example was in level flight when i pulled up and broke into pieces.

Same here.

And once, in the Viper, with some damage due to some bad taxiing, I lost a wing when I fired a AGM65 (same wing as the Maverik, indeed). The wings where showing some damages (visually, I mean/I thought)). I found myself ina left hand roll, and when looking from outside I saw there was no lft wing! Couriouse...

Saludos.Saca111

I think it shouldn’t unless you have the wrong CAT for the loadout (CAT I with a A/G loadout), FLCS shouldn’t let you break anything

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

6 hours ago, 5ephir0th said:

I think it shouldn’t unless you have the wrong CAT for the loadout (CAT I with a A/G loadout), FLCS shouldn’t let you break anything

This is an incorrect assumption. FLCS laws do not protect against overstress. They only protect against departure from controlled flight.

On 8/7/2022 at 11:04 AM, 5ephir0th said:

f-16, unlike f/a-18, doesnt protect you from over-G'ing the plane when its heavily loaded (or the carried munitions). you have to take care of that manually. and if i recall correctly, CAT is AoA-limiter.

to answer OP's question: accumulated stress is implemented and your wings will break if push it too far.

Edited by dorianR666
  • Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 3 months later...

One time on the growling sidewinder server i was defensive in a dive going very fast and i had 2 bags and A-A loadout. I was then doing full stick back to avoid CFIT and i must have been in the transonic region or something but suddenly i pulled ton of Gs (think it was 15Gs) and my wings broke. I dont think the FLCS is fully in control in the transonic region. I have had the same thing happen more times, though i recognized it quickly.

Varzat_signatur.png

17 minutes ago, VarZat said:

One time on the growling sidewinder server i was defensive in a dive going very fast and i had 2 bags and A-A loadout. I was then doing full stick back to avoid CFIT and i must have been in the transonic region or something but suddenly i pulled ton of Gs (think it was 15Gs) and my wings broke. I dont think the FLCS is fully in control in the transonic region. I have had the same thing happen more times, though i recognized it quickly.

15? 😮 What I have seen so far is only 9.8 I suppose.

13 hours ago, ASAP said:

Not sure if it’s possible in DCS but it is also very possible to overspeed the aircraft in a dive. I’ve heard stories of an F-16 pilot that died while severely supersonic in a high speed dive and his canopy melted into his face. 

That is not what happened, so wherever you heard those stories from is not being honest.  There has never been a canopy melting failure on the F-16.  The pilot that died did so because he exceeded 850KCAS in a dive and the older F100 engines did not have adequate self protection so the engine tried to keep up with the speed, the compressor disks expanded and cut the engine wall, things fragmented, the engine exploded, and the pilot ejected.  Both arms and both legs broke hitting the supersonic airstream, the pilot drowned.  My source?  People who flew F-16s at the time and knew the guy, worked on the F100 engines, and wrote the 800KCAS limit into the flight manual prior to the incident.

7 hours ago, Spurts said:

That is not what happened, so wherever you heard those stories from is not being honest.  There has never been a canopy melting failure on the F-16.  The pilot that died did so because he exceeded 850KCAS in a dive and the older F100 engines did not have adequate self protection so the engine tried to keep up with the speed, the compressor disks expanded and cut the engine wall, things fragmented, the engine exploded, and the pilot ejected.  Both arms and both legs broke hitting the supersonic airstream, the pilot drowned.  My source?  People who flew F-16s at the time and knew the guy, worked on the F100 engines, and wrote the 800KCAS limit into the flight manual prior to the incident.

Thanks for setting the record straight

• Like 1