Performance compared to other DCS modules

mikek1358

Not in my experience.  I'm getting 60-114fps in the Apache.  I'm on Pimax 8kx VR, which is double 4k screens.  It takes some tweaking to get it to run smooth, but that's always been so with flight sims since the beginning of time (the 80s).  There are plenty of good guides that can help to get it on the paper, then it can be dialed in tight with some time and patience.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Not in my experience.  I'm getting 60-114fps in the Apache.  I'm on Pimax 8kx VR, which is double 4k screens.  It takes some tweaking to get it to run smooth, but that's always been so with flight sims since the beginning of time (the 80s).  There are plenty of good guides that can help to get it on the paper, then it can be dialed in tight with some time and patience.
Mind sharing some of those tweaks? Just the basic.

For me the Apache takes performance hit more than the F-18, F-16 or any of my modules. The F-14 Tomcat was giving me similar performance in the early days of release but it has since improved, Heatblur must have done some optimisation.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

1 hour ago, mikek1358 said:

Hi everyone,

What's the performance like? As in are there lower frame rates compared to other modules like the F/A-18, F16 or MI24 or does the CPU get a bigger hit?

Thanks!

Fwiw;

I don't notice any difference in framerates between the mentioned modules. Perhaps the Apache runs even slightly better due to it's lower airspeed, but that might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

I stopped looking at fps numbers, if it runs smooth and the overal experience is good, it's OK for me.

But it's all a matter of expectations obviously. My system is quite outdated (see signature), so I understand and accept that I need to turn down on the eye candy a bit.

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

6 hours ago, Eaglewings said:

Mind sharing some of those tweaks? Just the basic.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I have the Apache to have much lower fps than other modules. Also the fps can vary greatly over time. For instance when switching views to external, flyby, switch to other units and back to the cockpit the fps can suddenly change dramatically either better or worse. I have no idea how this is happening. 

I run DCS in 4K with an intel 9900KS@5Ghz, Nvidia 3080 and 64Gb memory. 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

Unfortunately, on my rig, AH-64D has slowest performance of all modules fixed wing or rotary. With given graphics settings being 

HP Z440 Xeon E5-1630v4 3.7-4.0 Ghz, 64gb ram ECC 2666 , PNY RTX 3060ti XLR8 LHR, SSD.  2560X1440 @144Hz 

Just noticed new setting 'Secondary shadows'. Not certain how it effects performance.

Average FPS is above 48 FPS from pilot cockpit, at times climbing above 90, but sometimes dropping to 37 . Slowest map is Syria. Fastest is PG, then Nevada. FPS climbs by 30% for external views of AH-64D. CPG seat is slightly slower then pilot.

On same mission with same settings. Gazelle is 120 FPS avg. Mirage2000-C 120-140, AV-8B 90-120, UH-1H 125 FPS, F/A-18C 75-95 FPS. Overall Mirage and Harrier are fastest performing modules , on my system.

DCS settings attached

DCS2_7_16_graphSettings.jpg

• Like 2