Using "Fly Again" changes the mission that is loaded in Mission Editor?

cfrag

When you are editing a mission and then test it by using the green ME "Fly Mission" button, all is well. Should you end the mission, and then choose 'Fly Again', you are no longer flying the mission you were editing, but a "tempMission.miz". This will of course screw any campaign or persistency that relies on the mission name, and that's bad enough

What is worse is that when you come back to ME, the editor now no longer edits your mission, but "tempMission.miz". You may have noticed that sometimes, out of the blue, ME asks you during save for a name, and wars that the mission you thought you were editing already exists and if you want to overwrite? I'm pretty confident that this is because you inadvertently chose 'Fly Again' in the recent past. 

May I request the kind people at ED look into this? Although it's an annoyance mostly, it's a no-no for any mission that uses the current mission name for anything tangible (branching in a campaign, persistence, ...)

Thank you,

-ch

• Like 1

i have noticed the names of tacview files change when i do fly again. these were training missions.

i do not think it is consistent though. some of my missions keep the same name.

image.png

image.png

Edited by silverdevil
stupid null

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 8/6/2022 at 7:23 AM, cfrag said:

When you are editing a mission and then test it by using the green ME "Fly Mission" button, all is well. Should you end the mission, and then choose 'Fly Again', you are no longer flying the mission you were editing, but a "tempMission.miz". This will of course screw any campaign or persistency that relies on the mission name, and that's bad enough

What is worse is that when you come back to ME, the editor now no longer edits your mission, but "tempMission.miz". You may have noticed that sometimes, out of the blue, ME asks you during save for a name, and wars that the mission you thought you were editing already exists and if you want to overwrite? I'm pretty confident that this is because you inadvertently chose 'Fly Again' in the recent past. 

May I request the kind people at ED look into this? Although it's an annoyance mostly, it's a no-no for any mission that uses the current mission name for anything tangible (branching in a campaign, persistence, ...)

Thank you,

-ch

i flew a custom mission today and did two 'refly'. the first keeps the name and does indeed change to a temp mission the subsequent 'refly' button.

• Like 1

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 8/6/2022 at 1:23 PM, cfrag said:

You may have noticed that sometimes, out of the blue, ME asks you during save for a name, and wars that the mission you thought you were editing already exists and if you want to overwrite? I'm pretty confident that this is because you inadvertently chose 'Fly Again' in the recent past.

That happens anytime you move the F10 map, because the .miz file saves this position.

On 8/6/2022 at 1:23 PM, cfrag said:

What is worse is that when you come back to ME, the editor now no longer edits your mission, but "tempMission.miz".

Thanks for the heads up. There's an annoying bug I'm chasing since a few updates (DCS sometimes gets stuck in the Mission Editor), and it might be related to what you have noticed.

Issue reported. 👍

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

9 hours ago, Flappie said:

That happens anytime you move the F10 map, because the .miz file saves this position.

Apologies for being unclear. When you move the map, ED simply marks the mission as 'changed' and wants to save. That's not what I meant. When you "Fly Again", the mission's name as loaded in ED (see lower left corner) is changed to "tempMission.miz", and ME asks you for a save name for the mission. That's markedly different from just wanting to save (which you can do by simply hitting control-S or click on the (charmingly antiquated 3.5 inch disk - does anyone here other than dinosaurs like I even remember them?) button. In those cases, ME silently saves and you go about your business. Asking for a save name happens 'out of the blue' when you return from flying the mission in ME - and as I think after you 'Fly Again'. I can re-produce that reliably - at least on my computer 🙂 .

Edited by cfrag

25 minutes ago, cfrag said:

(charmingly antiquated 3.5 inch disk - does anyone here other than dinosaurs like I even remember them?)

Trust me, I do. 😛

You're right, I hadn't noticed that. Added to the report. 👍

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:38 AM, cfrag said:

That's markedly different from just wanting to save (which you can do by simply hitting control-S or click on the (charmingly antiquated 3.5 inch disk - does anyone here other than dinosaurs like I even remember them?)

lol i have several in my desk. i even have some 5.25 throwing stars version.

image.gif

Edited by silverdevil
  • Like 2

I found out that the same thing happens when you do this:

• Change the mission slightly (e.g. move the map)
  • Click Fly! and respond NO to "Save Changes"
  • You need to actually start the mission
  • End it, and drop back into Mission Editor
  • The mission is now called "tempMission.miz" (see lower left corner)

null

image.png

(While at it, can't we also remove the annoying null error when pasting images into a thread?)

Edited by cfrag