Are any performance improvements still coming?

Snappy

Hi ED,

are there still scheduled performance improvements coming for the marianas map?

Compared to the other maps, it still runs very badly in regards to FPS ,even when lowering  shadows or switching them off.
However it seems, there havent been a lot of significant updates to the map after release and it has been been quiet about this map for quite a while now. The scenery is very beautiful, but the performance really reduces the immersion, unless you have an extremely powerful machine, but even high end users seem to report significantly less frames.

Do you still have any performance improvement updates planned for this map?

Anyway, thanks a lot for making the map available for free.

Regards,
Snappy

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 12

I'm also interested if there are any performance improvements planned? I can put all my setting on the lowest and its a slideshow but I can play Syria for example which is a demanding map in its own right without much issue on medium to high settings.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700 3.4Ghz , 32gig ripjaw ram , Asus Strix RX480 OC 8gb , Samsung 850 Pro SSD, Asus ROG VIII Ranger Z170 Motherboard.

i also hope, it can be optimized further. i want to like the map, as it is really beautiful and a nice change of scenery, but the performance impact really takes away from the experience. i only fly around the northern islands, because they are less taxing, but even there i get less frames than on every other map i have...

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Flying Ka-50, I stay barely above 40 fps on Guam, (Flat screen, RTX3080, 10600K and 32gb ram) visibility High, shadows high and default, the rest of the settings highish. That's pretty unaccaptable performance with this rig. And I definitely won't be buying Black Shark 3 update, when it will most definitely lock me out of this map with it's millions of polygons.

14 minutes ago, ouky1991 said:

Flying Ka-50, I stay barely above 40 fps on Guam, (Flat screen, RTX3080, 10600K and 32gb ram) visibility High, shadows high and default, the rest of the settings highish. That's pretty unaccaptable performance with this rig. And I definitely won't be buying Black Shark 3 update, when it will most definitely lock me out of this map with it's millions of polygons.

Reading these forums, I remember the time when people were writing about buying 3070, 3080, and at extreme 3090. Now it seams the way to go is to go straight to 4090.

I will try replicate your experience with more modest hardware...

Laptop Dell G7 7700, I7 10750H, 64 GB RAM, 39 FPS, with 99% above 32. Actually playable when you are into chasing speeding cars only...

Edited by okopanja

2022/9/1 AM1点35分,pixie说:

bump !

Still wondering if ED has figured out what's wrong with this map.

the west of Antoneo int airfield still looks terrible today, got only 11 fps in the town there 

• Like 1

I miss the old days when Novalogic's Comanche Gold is on 😄

• 1 month later...

This map looks so beautiful but it's too low FPS. I wonder why some small islands are so heavy.

I have a GTX 1070, I know, I should have a GTX 1080 to run better.

Next year I will upgrade to a RTX 3070 Ti, I expect to run well with high settings.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Try in MT and see how it works for you. 

I had 0 issues with this map on 1440p screen with 3 MFDs (800x600) since it was released. 

I guess we would need to compare settings: (C:\Users\giera\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Options.lua)

["graphics"] = {
        ["BlurFlatShadows"] = 1,
        ["DOF"] = 0,
        ["LensEffects"] = 3,
        ["MSAA"] = 2,
        ["SSAA"] = 0,
        ["SSAO"] = 1,
        ["SSLR"] = 1,
        ["ScreenshotExt"] = "jpg",
        ["anisotropy"] = 4,
        ["aspect"] = 3.4444444444444,
        ["box_mouse_cursor"] = false,
        ["chimneySmokeDensity"] = 5,
        ["civTraffic"] = "high",
        ["clouds"] = 3,
        ["clutterMaxDistance"] = 1500,
        ["cockpitGI"] = 1,
        ["defaultFOV"] = 78,
        ["effects"] = 3,
        ["flatTerrainShadows"] = 0,
        ["forestDetailsFactor"] = 1,
        ["forestDistanceFactor"] = 1,
        ["fullScreen"] = false,
        ["heatBlr"] = 2,
        ["height"] = 1440,
        ["lights"] = 2,
        ["messagesFontScale"] = 1.5,
        ["motionBlur"] = 0,
        ["motionBlurAmount"] = 1,
        ["multiMonitorSetup"] = "fa18chornet3",
        ["outputGamma"] = 2.2,
        ["preloadRadius"] = 150000,
        ["rainDroplets"] = true,
        ["scaleGui"] = 1,
        ["sceneryDetailsFactor"] = 1,
        ["secondaryShadows"] = 1,
        ["shadowTree"] = false,
        ["shadows"] = 4,
        ["sync"] = true,
        ["terrainTextures"] = "max",
        ["textures"] = 2,
        ["useDeferredShading"] = 1,
        ["visibRange"] = "Extreme",
        ["water"] = 2,
        ["width"] = 4960,

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

The amount of VRAM this map requires is insane. Unplayable in VR unless you reduce textures. 

For a 3080, Syria runs beautifully in VR high/high textures with Taz and Barthek mods, but this tiny map this requires +25% more VRAM.

ED, I know this is free, but definitely this needs serious improvement....