Grid Coordinate input problem after latest update

Orestd

Since the latest update I have experienced a problem with inputting grid coordinates into the onboard computer to make a waypoint. Before the update it worked fine but now when I input the Grid coordinates provided by the JTAC into the UFC What I entered on the UFC is not displayed on the HSI. These are the steps I use. I  enter HSI screen. Make that screen SOI go to Data, Waypoint, precise, sequence. I create the waypoint go to UFC select Grid select the 2 letters from the Grid table then input the coordinates into the UFC and hit enter. That is how I used to do it and it worked fine. Now the Grid coordinates that I input do not show up on the HSI screen. Instead there different coordinates displayed not the ones I inputted. Am I missing somethin or has something changed with the latest update or is it a bug. Can someone help me out thanks.

Worked for me this afternoon.  Double check that you are getting a line under the grid letters that stays (if your TDC has any movement at all, even if it's not visible to the eye, you'll get the line but then it will disappear and the entry won't take).  IIRC if you get a double blink on entry it had an error/problem, if it blinks once it took.  Check if the "new" co-ordinates are the same before and after you try to enter the grid or if they are changing to something different.  And please post a track as that will allow someone to spot what you're missing.

Edited by rob10
Missed "K" on end of "took"

2 hours ago, rob10 said:

Worked for me this afternoon.  Double check that you are getting a line under the grid letters that stays (if your TDC has any movement at all, even if it's not visible to the eye, you'll get the line but then it will disappear and the entry won't take).  IIRC if you get a double blink on entry it had an error/problem, if it blinks once it too.  Check if the "new" co-ordinates are the same before and after you try to enter the grid or if they are changing to something different.  And please post a track as that will allow someone to spot what you're missing.

Yes i do get a line under the letters. The grid table disappears after a few seconds so I can't tell if the line disappears. I will try and get a track.

22 hours ago, Tholozor said:

Got screenshots or tracks we can look at?

Tried to insert a video track but it was to large. No way I can get it to 5 MB

20 hours ago, rob10 said:

Worked for me this afternoon.  Double check that you are getting a line under the grid letters that stays (if your TDC has any movement at all, even if it's not visible to the eye, you'll get the line but then it will disappear and the entry won't take).  IIRC if you get a double blink on entry it had an error/problem, if it blinks once it took.  Check if the "new" co-ordinates are the same before and after you try to enter the grid or if they are changing to something different.  And please post a track as that will allow someone to spot what you're missing.

Checked the line under the letters stayed put and no double blink. Have a video of what I did but it is to large to attach.

20 hours ago, rob10 said:

Tried to post track but to big.

Exactly; even though the JTAC doesn't provide the full 10 digits, when PRECISE is boxed, 10 digits are needed, otherwise the aircraft will assume the omitted digits are zeros.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Posted video to YT. Here is the link. Hopefully this will help. Thanks.  https://youtu.be/ppyglWDawpY
Video is private

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, markom said:

Yeah - you are trying to enter an 8-digit grid into a 10-digit field. That is not going to be interpreted the way you want. Look at the post I linked above for why 🙂

I also found this useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Grid_Reference_System

I understand that. But the JTAC gave ne and 8 digit Field, When I first tried entering it the system only allowed me to enter 6 digits and the Coordinates in the HSI page would not change to the new coordinates. I posted the video of all the steps I did to youtube, Here is the link. https://youtu.be/ppyglWDawpY You will see what I mean. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I watched the video. 

So, say you have an actual location of AA 12345 67890. This is where object actually is, not given to you by JTAC. 

JTAC will give you: 12346789

You can enter this into Hornet's WP as a grid in two different ways:

- Regular (6 digits): 123 678

- Precise (10 digit): 12340 67890

In the video, you were doing something else.

You will, obviously, observe how this doesn't give you a precise location, and how information precision and accuracy at every step is lost, but this is working as intended.

Edited by markom
  • Like 1

Another thing to consider is that if PRECISE is boxed, and you enter less than 10 digits, it won't inject zeros between the easting/northing, it'll add them all on the end.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

7 hours ago, markom said:

Yup. Learned all this literally yesterday, as I was wondering why the f. is my pod looking one hill over from the actual target. Sharing the things we learn is great :-).

Ok I think I got it. Just to clarify, if the coordinates I am given are for example BU94317615 I Should enter into the UFC 9431076150. Ok thank you all for the help. I will give this a try and see if it works. Cheers.

And to be clear - you don't have to add a new waypoint to the sequence (flight plan). If it's an ad hoc target it's even not recommended.
Unbox SEQ1 in bottom right corner and you can switch between any of 59 waypoints, not only 10 in sequence. Add WPT 11 and don't add it to the seq.

8 hours ago, markom said:

Correct. Now, keep in mind you are given the "bottom left" coordinate of the grid square, and not a pinpoint location of the target.

Yes Thank you very much for your help. Cheers

6 hours ago, Foka said:

And to be clear - you don't have to add a new waypoint to the sequence (flight plan). If it's an ad hoc target it's even not recommended.
Unbox SEQ1 in bottom right corner and you can switch between any of 59 waypoints, not only 10 in sequence. Add WPT 11 and don't add it to the seq.

Thanks. Cheers.

13 hours ago, markom said:

Correct. Now, keep in mind you are given the "bottom left" coordinate of the grid square, and not a pinpoint location of the target.

Which is true, but the 8 digit grid refers to a 10 m square and the 10 digit grid is only a 1 m square so it's pretty pinpoint (if you're using the 10 digit co-ordinate)

• Like 1

Don't forget elevation either

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle