ShKAS versus new WWII damage models

Cheetah7798

It's been a short while since I've flown the I-16 against other WW2 aircraft, and after flying it the other day I've noticed that the effectiveness of its 7.62 machine guns has substantially degraded. Now this may be more of a DCS issue than a module issue, but I was curious if others have noticed this. For example, in one instance, I managed to hit a P-51 more than 500 times, and it was still flying. There's a similar story involving the BF 109, where after hitting it over 100 times, I eventually had to physically assault his aircraft with my own to finish the job.

TacView screenshots below:

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

----
For comparison, here's the results for an aircraft that isn't part of the WW2 group:
Capture3.JPG

Edited by Cheetah7798
  • Like 1

That should be correct. Why do you think airforces switched from 7.62 etc to 20mm cannons and higher?

There are several examples were pilots reported hundreds of hits by "small" caliber bullets to no effect.

You really have to hit vital parts...(plus thats why even the I16 got cannons in the end)

I of course understand the motivation for most nations to replace their smaller caliber machine guns with 20mm (or larger) cannons. That's not really what I'm getting at here. I know the event log doesn't really show it, but there practically wasn't a square centimeter of space I hadn't put a bullet into in the case of the P-51. At 05:01:30 of that particular engagement, 489 more or less consecutive hits were recorded, many of them in the canopy and engine area. Yes, 7.62mm were considered inadequate, but they were not completely useless.

https://gyazo.com/8f834dc4d98f455195f372d89c18d77b

15 hours ago, Cheetah7798 said:

I of course understand the motivation for most nations to replace their smaller caliber machine guns with 20mm (or larger) cannons. That's not really what I'm getting at here. I know the event log doesn't really show it, but there practically wasn't a square centimeter of space I hadn't put a bullet into in the case of the P-51. At 05:01:30 of that particular engagement, 489 more or less consecutive hits were recorded, many of them in the canopy and engine area. Yes, 7.62mm were considered inadequate, but they were not completely useless.

https://gyazo.com/8f834dc4d98f455195f372d89c18d77b

I think its just that nobody here really knows if they are underperforming or not. Maybe make a bug report and send it to ED?