ACLS lands me in the sea?

truebrit
Go to solution Solved by rfxcasey,

Everything is fine until I hit CPL, then it just lands me in the sea. I control throttle with ATC, and I have tried have having BALT enabled before hitting CPL and flying manually before CPL. I am using Steam open beta, and have turned off wake turbulence.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

You don't control the throttle with ATC, the ACLS does. When you hear "ACLS lock-on" over the radio and see 'mode 1' on your ACL page then hit CPL on the autopilot to switch, then hit ATC and make sure it engages i.e. not flashing. From there, its hands off and the ACLS will land the jet, works for me every time.

Edited by rfxcasey
  • Like 1

• Solution

This is for the Super Carrier and the other is for the free carriers. The frequencies are set up by the mission creator, you can press 'K' I believe and it will show the frequencies. Best to use a ACLS training mission or, if you're feeling adventurous, make your own ( included in first video) and you gain even more understanding of what's going on. Pause the videos after each step and write down the proceedure, it helps. I included the 3rd video because it's got a good visual representation, you can pause the video, take a screenshot of the visual aids and then keep them for your reference. You're basically trying to fly down to a point in space where the ACLS can lock on and remote guide your jet from there. Don't forget what I posted above "When you hear "ACLS lock-on" over the radio and see 'mode 1' on your ACL page then hit CPL on the autopilot to switch, then hit ATC and make sure it engages i.e. not flashing. From there, its hands off and the ACLS will land the jet, works for me every time." It all happens quicker than you'd think so you have to practice the procedure a little. If you still aren't getting it after this, PM me and I'll schedule to get with you and do some practice.

Edited by rfxcasey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 5:00 AM, rfxcasey said:

This is for the Super Carrier and the other if for the free carriers. The frequencies are set up by the mission creator, you can press 'K' I believe and it will show the frequencies. Best to use a ACLS training mission or, if you're feeling adventurous, make your own ( included in first video) and you gain even more understanding of what's going on. Pause the videos after each step and write down the proceedure, it helps. I included the 3rd video because it's got a good visual representation, you can pause the video, take a screenshot of the visual aids and then keep them for your reference. You're basically trying to fly down to a point in space where the ACLS can lock on and remote guide your jet from there. Don't forget what I posted above "When you hear "ACLS lock-on" over the radio and see 'mode 1' on your ACL page then hit CPL on the autopilot to switch, then hit ATC and make sure it engages i.e. not flashing. From there, its hands off and the ACLS will land the jet, works for me every time." It all happens quicker than you'd think so you have to practice the proceedure a little. If you still aren't getting it after this, PM me and I'll schedule to get with you and do some practice.

Thanks for the great advice, the final stage where everything happens quickly is where I get confused, but to be fair I have only tried it about 10 times ever so I know I will get it one day. 

• Like 1

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

4 hours ago, truebrit said:

Thanks for the great advice, the final stage where everything happens quickly is where I get confused, but to be fair I have only tried it about 10 times ever so I know I will get it one day. 

Once you get it once you pretty much got it from there. After the first time you get it right just practice it like 2 or 3 more times and then make sure to do it at least once or twice a week for a couple of weeks and lock it into your brain. ONE LAST THING I FORGOT TO MENTION, after you get it right and the ACLS is flying your jet, you still have to call the ball through the radio menu when you are about .6 miles from the boat. The option will appear in the comms menu. 

• Like 1

Ive recently learnt how to do an ACLS landing and everytime is spot on - Grade C 👍

Thats if I am flying single player.  In multiplayer however, things seem to come adrift...   Unlike Case 1 where we have had several Players and both F18s and F14s flying, we join the stack and come in to land in turn with half a circuits speration or less between aircraft landing.

With ACLS... can only one at a time land or can you get multiple F18s transitioning from ESTALISHED, COMMENCING, PLATFORM etc through to Needles and lock on... I am assuming only one F18 can be Locked on in Coupled P/R Mode but surely others can be coming in behind or it there some limitation within DCS that doesnt allow this yet?

I have also noted that, Mother gives a Final Bearing rather than BRC... so theres no maths, its just input the Final Bearing in to CSEL and fly down that.... is thjat correct... its working for me.

Thanks