[SOUTH EAST ASIA] VIETNAM MAP 1200km x 600km, It's time to get this started.

SOLIDKREATE

Good afternoon fellow aviators. I'd like to throw in the Vietnam War Map. We really, really need this in our lives. This would give way for third party developers to make the F-105D, F8U-2NE (J) - in work, A-37B, A-6E, F-4E (B) - pre-order , B-57B - Data collection underway, MiG-17 (J5) - in workMiG-19P (J6) - released, UH-1H - released, OV-10A - released, O-1E, O-2A , AH-1G, Mi-8MTV2 - released, MiG-21 - released, A-4E -released, A-7E - in work, F-5E - releasedF-100D - in work, B-52H - in work , A-1H - in work , F-105D or F - Data collection completed and countless other air and ground assets ect. 

SEE BLACK OPERATING AREA *UPDATED 25MAR2024

vietnam war map.png

Edited by SOLIDKREATE
B-57B data collection underway
  • Like 19

Too small of an area. Needs to be expanded to cover all of South Vietnam to most of the Mekong Delta, a large part of Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos and even more of North Vietnam extending out to the South China Sea. If done this size it would cover the "same area as the new KOLA map being developed now". 

For such an important historical map there's no need to skimp on area. So much was conducted to the south that it all must be included..

Skyspin (342 days "in country")

• Like 2

I5-4670K 4.3GHZ / 32GB DDR3 / EVGA 1080TI /HP Reverb G2 / ASUS Z-97A / SAMSUNG 500 GB SSD /Thrustmaster Warthog / RAZER Tartarus / CORSAIR Void Pro Wireless/  WIN 10

Most maps are considerably larger than 300km x 300km. Only the two ww2 maps (Channel and Normandy) are about the same size or smaller (Normandy 460km x 185km; Channel 240km x 100km). But there one is usually on the way with propeller planes...

A Vietnam map with a size of 300km x 300km would be clearly too small.

EDIT ---> 

Edited by felixx75
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, felixx75 said:

Most maps are considerably larger than 300km x 300km. Only the two ww2 maps (Channel and Normandy) are about the same size or smaller (Normandy 460km x 185km; Channel 240km x 100km). But there one is usually on the way with propeller planes...

A Vietnam map with a size of 300km x 300km would be clearly too small.

Seems that the new Sinai map will be 1500Kmx1000Km. 😊 

Issue with Vietnam ain't the size I've heard. It's all those trees in the jungle, and all the populated areas. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Cheers 

• Like 4

• SOLIDKREATE changed the title to [SOUTH EAST ASIA] NORTH VIETNAM MAP 1200km x 600km

I think the focus for the next 3 to 5 years concerning maps should be building this. I also think they can reach out to the community to build ground assets and scenery such as huts, buildings, destroyed aircraft/ground vehicles. All of that built to a preset standard of quality and color pallet. The map built that way I think would make it unique and not make look like a cookie cutter map.

• Like 2

Latest announced Sinai map is to have a 700x700 km DETAILED area, and about twice that undetailed, and that is mostly just desert. Razbam's recent South Atlantic is the largest map currently, and great majority of it is ocean, with relatively little detailed regions afaik, but I may be wrong. Only heavily urbanized AND jungle map right now is Marianas, and it is similar to what Vietnam would be in that respect, except, unlike Vietnam, it is TINY and it performs absolutely horribly despite that. The only way we'll get a Vietnam map with current tech is if it's limited in size to only a certain region, people need to already forget about an expanded map of whole theater, and possibly also also a lot of the detail abstracted/omitted. Latter scenario doesn't seem like something great majority of the community care for.

From what I can see, DCS: Vietnam is not fesaible as a map right now, nor do we have many relevant aircraft, majority of the touted aircraft are wrong versions that are significantly more capable then variants served in war, and in ways you can't disable with mission editing, altering the experience.

Right now, I personally much, much prefer us keep getting later 70s-80s versions of aircraft, as that fits beautifully into an existing niche in DCS, as well as being frankly the more interesting versions imo. Once those are done, and map/rendering/performance tech is way ahead of where it is now, then, and only then I wouldn't be hostile to the DCS: Vietnam idea. Right now, while I do VERY MUCH understand the desire for it, it is neither really feasible, nor desirable imo.

The upcoming A-6 and A-7 are almost certainly going to be 80s, perhaps even early 90s birds. Two versions of F-4E will be one just past Vietnam, but can be reasonably roleplayed as a late war bird, and another that is from 80s with vastly different systems. F-5 and MiG-21 both are wrong versions that are considerably better than those served in the conflict. I can count more, but I see no point. If you are happy with making do with these, then I suppose more power to you. It wouldn't really be anything like the realities and unique challenges of that war, but if that isn't what you are looking for, then I suppose, yes, there is enough in sim to do a pretend 'Nam theater.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

You are literally re-linking the same image you've shared above, which actually worked against your claim anyway. It has just a blurb by developer saying "we'll update as we go", and not necessarily saying "every bit of it will be high detail in future", thus, we shall see 🙂

Besides, regardless, that map has a fraction of the land area Vietnam would have, and again it still wouldn't be as dense with objects even if we take both at the highest detail level possible in every inch (which isn't feasible anyway, but let's not let that get in the way make-believe shall we?)

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

And I don't see the point in reading things into being more than what devs say, just because it aligns with what one wants to see.

18 minutes ago, felixx75 said:

And that's the last thing I'm going to say about it. 

Likewise.

DCS-Dismounts Script

On 8/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, WinterH said:

The upcoming A-6 and A-7 are almost certainly going to be 80s, perhaps even early 90s birds.

I would say 1980s. US Navy decomissioned A-7E in year 1991 right after USSR collapsed and Gulf War ended.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bies said:

I would say 1980s. US Navy decomissioned A-7E in year 1991 right after USSR collapsed and Gulf War ended.

At the end of 1968 the first A-7E conducted it's first flight. So it's not clearly a 1980s (or even 1990s) bird. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 1:21 AM, SOLIDKREATE said:

Good afternoon fellow aviators. I'd like to throw in the Vietnam War Map. We really, really need this in our lives. This would give way for third party developers to make the F-105D, F8U-2NE (J) - in work, A-37B, A-6E, F-4E (B) - in work , B-57B, MiG-17 - in workMiG-19P - released, UH-1H - released, AH-1G, Mi-8MTV2 - released, MiG-21 - released, A-4E -released, A-7E - in work, F-5E - released and countless other air and ground assets ect.

You can add the F-100D Super Sabre to that list as in work :wink:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 4

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg