Installation Advice Please…

Hi folks,

I have installed, and am currently using, latest standalone version 2.7.xxxx of DCS World with no problems

I would like to install and try the latest version of DCS World standalone 2.7.xxx Open beta WITHOUT affecting my current installation of the stable version. i.e. running both standalone stable and Open Beta versions in parallel on the same PC.

Is anyone else doing this? What steps would I need to carry out to install the latest standalone Open Beta WITHOUT affecting my current standalone stable installation?

Thnx

Self Build: 5000D Airflow Case, Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero DDR 5 MOBO, 1200W Corsair Modular PSU, I9-12900K CPU, MSI 3080 ti 12GB GPU, Corsair Vengence 64GB DDR5 5600 RAM, H150i Elite CPU Cooler, 2 x 1TB & 1 x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD's, Windows 10 Pro OS, Samsung Odyssey G7 28" G-Sync (3840 x 2160 Resolution) Monitor, Thrustmaster, ROG Strix Go 2.4 Headset , HOTAS Warthog Stick, Throttle & TPR Rudder mounted on WheelStandPro V2 rig. TrackIR 5 - DCS: Channel, Normandy 2, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada, S. Atlantic, Sinai - FC3, Super Carrier, Spitfire, Mosquito, P-51, P-47, Bf-109, FW-190 A-8, AH-64D, Huey, F18-C Hornet, AV-8B, F-16C, F-5E, A-10C II, F-86E Sabre, F-15E Strike Eagle, F-14 Tomcat, Viggen, MB-339. Android Tablet with DCS UFC & DCS NAV

5 minutes ago, TonyRS said:

Hi folks,

I have installed, and am currently using, latest standalone version 2.7.xxxx of DCS World with no problems

I would like to install and try the latest version of DCS World standalone 2.7.xxx Open beta WITHOUT affecting my current installation of the stable version. i.e. running both standalone stable and Open Beta versions in parallel on the same PC.

Is anyone else doing this? What steps would I need to carry out to install the latest standalone Open Beta WITHOUT affecting my current standalone stable installation?

Thnx

hello. this is arguably the easiest way of doing both.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

24 minutes ago, TonyRS said:

Hi folks,

Thnx

Of course. No problem at all. As long as you've got the disk space. 

You only need to download the OpenBeta installer. Nothing more to it. 😊 

Just make sure it makes a new save games folder when you start the OB. You could make a make a backup just in case. I had some strange issue once, that it was overwritten. But I'm sure it was my fault. Anyway. I share most of those folders anyway now, so I have one logbook, mods, input liveries etc. for both installs. 

Cheers! 

32 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Of course. No problem at all. As long as you've got the disk space. 

You only need to download the OpenBeta installer. Nothing more to it. 😊 

Just make sure it makes a new save games folder when you start the OB. You could make a make a backup just in case. I had some strange issue once, that it was overwritten. But I'm sure it was my fault. Anyway. I share most of those folders anyway now, so I have one logbook, mods, input liveries etc. for both installs. 

Cheers! 

Hi MAXsenna,

Thanks for your reply.

just so I don’t screw things up! Can you elaborate on how I create a ‘New Saved Games’ folder on installing OB and what I need to do to be able to share the mods/ maps / logbook I’ve already purchased with my stable version for use also with my Open Beta version?

Would software suggested above by silverdevil make the job any easier?

regards TonyRS

1 hour ago, silverdevil said:

hello. this is arguably the easiest way of doing both.

Thank you for the advice silverdevil, will definitely look into it.

Self Build: 5000D Airflow Case, Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero DDR 5 MOBO, 1200W Corsair Modular PSU, I9-12900K CPU, MSI 3080 ti 12GB GPU, Corsair Vengence 64GB DDR5 5600 RAM, H150i Elite CPU Cooler, 2 x 1TB & 1 x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD's, Windows 10 Pro OS, Samsung Odyssey G7 28" G-Sync (3840 x 2160 Resolution) Monitor, Thrustmaster, ROG Strix Go 2.4 Headset , HOTAS Warthog Stick, Throttle & TPR Rudder mounted on WheelStandPro V2 rig. TrackIR 5 - DCS: Channel, Normandy 2, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada, S. Atlantic, Sinai - FC3, Super Carrier, Spitfire, Mosquito, P-51, P-47, Bf-109, FW-190 A-8, AH-64D, Huey, F18-C Hornet, AV-8B, F-16C, F-5E, A-10C II, F-86E Sabre, F-15E Strike Eagle, F-14 Tomcat, Viggen, MB-339. Android Tablet with DCS UFC & DCS NAV

5 minutes ago, TonyRS said:

make a copy of the DCS folder found within the Saved Games. rename it to DCS.openbeta.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

9 minutes ago, TonyRS said:

Hi MAXsenna,

Thanks for your reply.

just so I don’t screw things up! Can you elaborate on how I create a ‘New Saved Games’ folder on installing OB and what I need to do to be able to share the mods/ maps / logbook I’ve already purchased with my stable version for use also with my Open Beta version?

Would software suggested above by silverdevil make the job any easier?

regards TonyRS

First, I agree with Silverdevil. Get that app, and set it up, after you have both installed. 😊 

No, you don't have to make a saved games folder. Make sure it is created. So you have both \Saved Games\DCS and \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

Like I said, some strange thing happened to me once, and overwrote mine. So just make a copy. It's not big anyway. 😉 

As for your purchased modules (not mods, that's things that are not included in vanilla installation), they will be automatically installed in the OB after you startup, and let them install. DCS will ask you. 😊 

To share the logbook, you need to do some Windows trickery called symbolic links. 

Aks later, when everything's working. 😊 

Cheers! 

1 minute ago, silverdevil said:

make a copy of the DCS folder found within the Saved Games. rename it to DCS.openbeta.

He wants to have both installed! 

So, no don't do that! 😄 

Edit: Well, of course he can delete the dcs_variant.txt from the openbeta installation, but I think that somehow was the reason why I messed up once. 😊 

Edited by MAXsenna

6 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

He wants to have both installed! 

So, no don't do that! 😄 

oh my bad. thats what i did to keep everything from polluting one another.

image.png

Edited by silverdevil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

oh my bad. thats what i did to keep everything from polluting one another.

image.png

Roger! 

I have it basically the same. Except I have one old stable installation as well, pre-new clouds I think. 

I manually made the dcs_variant.txt, and added the text "legacy" in it. 

So I have a \Saved Games\DCS.legacy folder as well. 😊 

• Like 1

Thanks for your input guys. I’ve noted all your suggestions. I have Stable 2.7.16.xxxx running fine at present and am expecting delivery of my TrackIR 5 in the next week or two, I will wait till I have that setup and working, prove everything is ‘sound’. Thereafter, will look to also install latest 2.7 Open Beta in parallel with current stable version.

Cheers!