SimPit Pilot Office Chair Hybrid Build

CrashMeTwice

Hi to all Pilots, hope you are all doing well and having a great day!

Today I would like to share with you my latest project in which I am modding an office chair into a helicopter SimPit seat and added an amazing working bass shaker to feel the chopper by the seat of my pants 🙂

I had a lot of fun building this within the last couple of weeks. I would appreciate you comment.

For the video, I have the first part of the video edited and uploaded to YouTube. Hope to finish the second part within a couple of weeks.
Please check it out and let me know what you think.

chair1.jpg

chair2.jpg

chair3.jpg

Edited by CrashMeTwice
  • Like 1

sorry I didn´t check the video.
how did you attach the bass shaker to the DM material of the chair?
I discovered by accident my screws had gone bigger and wider against the drill hole, and the shaker felt off.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

14 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

sorry I didn´t check the video.
how did you attach the bass shaker to the DM material of the chair?
I discovered by accident my screws had gone bigger and wider against the drill hole, and the shaker felt off.

First, I drilled out (enlarged) the mounting holes of the bass shaker to 1/4" and used 1/4" self tapping sheet metal bolts. Make sure they are long enough to go through the wood on your chair but not to long that your upholstery get's ruined or punch holes in your butt when you sit on it 😒

Thus, depths of the bolts depends on your chair just make sure it's neither to long or to short. Drill small 1/16" pilot holes. In addition I gave the bolts a good amount of wood glue as I can't use Loctite in wood. Make sure you test the shaker before installing then let it sit for 24 hours for the glue to cure before running the shaker. This worked fine for me.

Watch the video for bolts and washers I used.

Edited by CrashMeTwice
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update

Again, Hi to all my fellow heli pilots!

I have finally finished the video of the 2nd and final part of making this pilot chair for myself!

The bass shaker works fantastic, have about 30 hours of simming on it. Would never look back 🙂

Please check it out.

Please, let me know what you think.

You all have a great day!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrashMeTwice said:

Update

Again, Hi to all my fellow heli pilots!

I have finally finished the video of the 2nd and final part of making this pilot chair for myself!

The bass shaker works fantastic, have about 30 hours of simming on it. Would never look back 🙂

Please check it out.

Please, let me know what you think.

You all have a great day!

Amazing soundtrack.
How easy you attach anything to the thin MDF of the chair still amazes me 🙂
Please, please tell me you are using Simshaker Sound module to control your shaker, and not audio input only.
As a suggestion, I found adding shaker(s) to the base where I have my rudder pedals, improved a lot the inmersion. Food for thought I guess 😉

it´s crystal clear you know your craft sir. Outstanding work

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

12 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Amazing soundtrack.
How easy you attach anything to the thin MDF of the chair still amazes me 🙂
Please, please tell me you are using Simshaker Sound module to control your shaker, and not audio input only.
As a suggestion, I found adding shaker(s) to the base where I have my rudder pedals, improved a lot the inmersion. Food for thought I guess 😉

it´s crystal clear you know your craft sir. Outstanding work

Thank you so much! At the time I was chair shopping I looked at so many of them that I had nightmares about them:) I finally decided on a chair I have seen on Wallmart, and it seemed to me that it was the most robust one of the bunch (Serta Big & Tall Office Chair, Brown Bonded Leather). I was right, this one has a half inch wood seat plate. It also offered steel arm rests which begged me to mod.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into the Simshaker Sound module.

08.jpg

09.jpg

• Like 2