MISSILE PANEL - Bugs & Incorrect Items

[MVP] Mugga

As some may be aware, I am building an F-86F Sabre cockpit for DCS using all original aircraft components.  As I work through all of the panels and controls, I am researching against original manufacturers documentation etc.  See: 

This evening I did some work on the MISSILE panel, which is located at the top of the cockpit panel on the left hand side.  I have included the PNG below. 

As I worked through this, i have found the following discrepancies between the manufacturers data and the DCS F86F Sabre:

1.  The G LIMIT Push to Test light is part# MS24041-4 which calls for an 'AMBER' lens.  The DCS F86F Sabre uses the 'RED' lens instead which is Part# MS24041-2;  See the included screenshot of the manufacturers documentation (Page 2-554D).

2.  The Missile SALVO, RH, LH & RH selection switch labeling may not be correct.  According to the aircraft illustrated parts manual, it should be RH at the bottom, OFF in the centre and LH & RH at the top position.  See the included screenshot of the manufacturers documentation (Page 2-554D).

3.  MISSILE SAFETY switch is MISSING.  All variants of the F86 that carried missiles had a 'Missile Safety' switch in cockpit.  The version modeled in DCS would accordingly have the switch located to the right hand side of the MISSILE panel.  Again see the screenshot of the manufacturers documentation below (Page 2-554D).

4.  Missing panel mounting screws... this gets filed under the heading of pedantic... but there are three philips head panels screws (two at top and one at bottom) that affix the face plate to the Missile Panel dash-top structure.

4.  And... if you really want to be super super tedious.... the MISSILE panel support frame is not a flat plate L-Angle.... but instead is a four sided structure.  However, this is not as relevant to the functional issues above.  Again see the screenshot of the manufacturers documentation below.

If anyone from ED would like to discuss any of the above, reach out.  More than happy to assist.

unknown.png

MISSILE_DASH_PANEL.png

Edited by [MVP] Mugga
  • Like 2

MVP | Community Founder
Email: 
muggavirtualpilot@gmail.com

mvp-signature-image.png

Discord:  https://discord.gg/brSBc9BWaZ  |  Twitch:  www.twitch.tv/muggavirtualpilot  |  Facebook:  www.facebook.com/muggavirtualpilot

• [MVP] Mugga changed the title to MISSILE PANEL - Bugs & Incorrect Items
  • 1 year later...

Hi @[MVP] Mugga. I've been following your simpit thread with great passion. I'd be happy to report your remarks to devs.  But first, I need to challenge them (just like devs will challenge my internal report).

Let's start with the most important points:

1. I can't find any color indication in the attached screenshot. Is it missing from your post? In this picture, the light appears to be amber, indeed.
  2. The T.O. 1F-86F-1 manual (21 May 1960 - change 10-30 April 1971), page 4-41 shows a picture of the missile control panel with "LH-RH" on top, "RH" on the left, and "SALVO" at the bottom, just like in DCS. I guess the panel was changed over time. We need to know when and for which variants.
  3. Same manual, same page, same story: "On airplanes changed by T.O. 1F-86-593 (Improvement of Missile System), a safety feature is provided in the AIM-9B missile system by the inclusion of a missile control switch to delete the salvo firing capability and include an OFF position as an additional safety measure". It seems the panel was changed over time. We need to know if the F-86F-35 we have in DCS did come with it from the start or not.
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 9/18/2023 at 7:56 AM, Flappie said:

Hi @[MVP] Mugga. I've been following your simpit thread with great passion. I'd be happy to report your remarks to devs.  But first, I need to challenge them (just like devs will challenge my internal report).

Let's start with the most important points:

1. I can't find any color indication in the attached screenshot. Is it missing from your post? In this picture, the light appears to be amber, indeed.
  2. The T.O. 1F-86F-1 manual (21 May 1960 - change 10-30 April 1971), page 4-41 shows a picture of the missile control panel with "LH-RH" on top, "RH" on the left, and "SALVO" at the bottom, just like in DCS. I guess the panel was changed over time. We need to know when and for which variants.
  3. Same manual, same page, same story: "On airplanes changed by T.O. 1F-86-593 (Improvement of Missile System), a safety feature is provided in the AIM-9B missile system by the inclusion of a missile control switch to delete the salvo firing capability and include an OFF position as an additional safety measure". It seems the panel was changed over time. We need to know if the F-86F-35 we have in DCS did come with it from the start or not.

Thanks for the update mate.  From what I can garner, the DCS F86F is a hybrid of a range of F86F dash-series variants and really does not represent any singular revision.  It's pretty darn close, but if you wanted to pick a particular dash series, things could be tuned up!

• Thanks 1

MVP | Community Founder
Email: 
muggavirtualpilot@gmail.com

mvp-signature-image.png

Discord:  https://discord.gg/brSBc9BWaZ  |  Twitch:  www.twitch.tv/muggavirtualpilot  |  Facebook:  www.facebook.com/muggavirtualpilot