Wingman + LRFD issues

simo-dj

Hi everybody and pls excuse me if these questions were already been asked. I tried to search through the forum but didn't find anything.

I created a very simple SP mission in Nevada. 2 Apaches (me as flight leader) taking off from Tonopah test range, headed to Tonopah airfield to destroy enemy asset located there (T-72's, some BRDM's, a pair of Shilka, whatever...)

I  started the mission from runaway and the next time from parking hot. In both cases wingman din't take off. He taxi to runaway with me ("Rolling" he said...) but in both cases he stuck on the runaway even if i told him to join me.

He took off and rejoined me when i was about 30km away and already firing to enemies. And when we were together i ordered him to engage but nothing happened. In another similar mission in Syria my wingman engaged with no problem.

Next question is:

In the same mission in Nevada, George as a CP/G, i chose a target from the dropdown list, order George to lase it but i find the laser range readout quite erratic. IT jumps from, say, 8000 to 5500m to raise suddendly to 7000m to drop again to 3000 and so on and on. My speed is quite near to 0 so this jumps of thousands meters are quite weird aren't they?

So, for these 2 questions, it's me that is doing something wrong (and it's better i quit dcs for a fishing simulator) or is it really a bug?

Before you ask, sorry. I don't have any track. I don't know how to record them 😞

"If you low&slow you're BBQing, if you hot&fast you're grilling, if you low&fast you're flying an Apache"

Camn't help you with wingman issues.

For eratic laser, what might happen is, if you are quite low, laser can be bouncing off of trees. Not saying that is the cause, just saying it might be one.

To record track, after you quit your SP mission, there is an option to save track file before you go back to mission editor

• Thanks 1

It's kind of hard to know what could be going on without at least a screenshot.  (The "Print Screen" button on your keyboard will create a screenshot in the C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\ScreenShots folder.)

• Was the laser ranging issue apparent on all targets that George was lasing, or just this one target?
  • Was the target stationary, or moving?
  • Was the laser moving off the target and hitting something much further off in the distance?
  • Was your wingman lasing the same target on the same channel? (Not even sure what would happen in that scenario.)
  • Thanks 1

30 minuti fa, admiki ha scritto:

Camn't help you with wingman issues.

For eratic laser, what might happen is, if you are quite low, laser can be bouncing off of trees. Not saying that is the cause, just saying it might be one.

To record track, after you quit your SP mission, there is an option to save track file before you go back to mission editor

thanks @admiki

i was about 250ft high and rising,  and i was at nearly halt (my speed less than 5 knots) . All the targets were still. I created this mission just to get used with wingman and improve my iteraction with George. I first chose one of the 2 shilkas, ordered George to lase it and saw this erratic readout, that happened on every target in list

23 minuti fa, Floyd1212 ha scritto:

It's kind of hard to know what could be going on without at least a screenshot.  (The "Print Screen" button on your keyboard will create a screenshot in the C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\ScreenShots folder.)

• Was the laser ranging issue apparent on all targets that George was lasing, or just this one target?
  • Was the target stationary, or moving?
  • Was the laser moving off the target and hitting something much further off in the distance?
  • Was your wingman lasing the same target on the same channel? (Not even sure what would happen in that scenario.)

thanks @Floyd1212 for the screenshot path. I have steam version of dcs so all the screenshots are displayed onto the client. The problem it's me that i didn't event think ta take a screenshot. Not to mention the track. But you know... It's quite hard trying to learn (and to do) something new when your lovely wife is calling you for diner. 🙂

Here's brief answer to your questions:

-it was on ALL targets. Not just one.

-as i wrote to admiki i created this mission just for learning purposes. so all the targets were very still (yet alive and ready to shoot at me)

-now that i'm learning how to use George  i always us one of the MFD in VID page and select TADS as source at "zoom" level. This to see what he's aiming at and when the aim is still and well on target before consent to fire. Aiming was still on the selected target. No shaking, no random movement.

-as said that a**h**e of my wingman was enjoying rotor breeze on a hot desert runaway while i was in the midst of action shooting at enemies (taht's the 1st part of problem)

"If you low&slow you're BBQing, if you hot&fast you're grilling, if you low&fast you're flying an Apache"

3 hours ago, simo-dj said:

He took off and rejoined me when i was about 30km away and already firing to enemies. And when we were together i ordered him to engage but nothing happened. In another similar mission in Syria my wingman engaged with no problem.

FWIW, I never managed my wingman to do anything, so count yourself lucky with this 🙂  Do you remember which Syria mission btw?

11 minuti fa, corvus5624 ha scritto:

FWIW, I never managed my wingman to do anything, so count yourself lucky with this 🙂  Do you remember which Syria mission btw?

They were both custom missions made by me in ME. As said in Syria he did almost everything i ordered to him. In Nevada he just stays on runaway and rejoins me just when i'm already firing 30km+ away from him.

Edited by simo-dj

Il 10/8/2022 at 19:36, corvus5624 ha scritto:

Hmm, if I make a mission in which the whole flight is already airborne, the wingmen do follow orders. But if they start at the parking (hot), then they don't. Strange.

Just yesterday i created a custom mission (the channel map) where 2 apaches (me as fligh lead) took off from runaway and attacked enemy armors and AAA's in an enemy airfield.

Everything went fine. Wingman took off with me, attacked assigned tgt's and landed safely.

I just found these "bugs" (erratic LRFD and silly wingman) only in Nevada for now..

• ED Team
On 8/10/2022 at 1:43 PM, simo-dj said:

I  started the mission from runaway and the next time from parking hot. In both cases wingman din't take off. He taxi to runaway with me ("Rolling" he said...) but in both cases he stuck on the runaway even if i told him to join me.

A track here would be appreciated. However, since in the subsequent mission you were able to make him behave as expected, lead me to believe it may have been just a "hiccup".
Was ATC giving him instructions during taxi? Also, you mentioned you asked him to rejoin and engage and nothing happened. Did he reply to you via radio? Was the frequency on both units correct?

In the same mission in Nevada, George as a CP/G, i chose a target from the dropdown list, order George to lase it but i find the laser range readout quite erratic. IT jumps from, say, 8000 to 5500m to raise suddendly to 7000m to drop again to 3000 and so on and on. My speed is quite near to 0 so this jumps of thousands meters are quite weird aren't they?

This definitely needs a track. From your description it sounds like a bug, but I can't offer an explanation without looking at what happened. When we want to check on George, a good idea is to look into TADS video and check what he's looking at and if the laser crosshairs are correctly blinking/steady on the desired target.

Before you ask, sorry. I don't have any track. I don't know how to record them 😞

It's easy. When you hit "quit" on a single player mission, there's a button in the lower part of the next score screen to save a track.
2022-08-12 12_06_13-Window.jpg
In multiplayer, tracks are automatically saved by default in X:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\DCS World\Tracks\Multiplayer.
Just make sure the track is short, to the point, on a simple mission and preferably in a simple map, like the Caucasus.

• Thanks 1

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

6 minuti fa, 701 - Vader ha scritto:

A track here would be appreciated. However, since in the subsequent mission you were able to make him behave as expected, lead me to believe it may have been just a "hiccup".
Was ATC giving him instructions during taxi? Also, you mentioned you asked him to rejoin and engage and nothing happened. Did he reply to you via radio? Was the frequency on both units correct?

This definitely needs a track. From your description it sounds like a bug, but I can't offer an explanation without looking at what happened. When we want to check on George, a good idea is to look into TADS video and check what he's looking at and if the laser crosshairs are correctly blinking/steady on the desired target.

It's easy. When you hit "quit" on a single player mission, there's a button in the lower part of the next score screen to save a track.
2022-08-12 12_06_13-Window.jpg
In multiplayer, tracks are saved by default in X:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\DCS World\Tracks\Multiplayer.
Just make sure the track is short, to the point, on a simple mission and preferably in a simple map, like the Caucasus.

thanks @701 - Vader (ps. nice nick and lovely avatar!)

Yes, I'll manage to save a track and post it here next time. Luckily this forum is plenty of kind people willing to help.

About radio freq. i use easy comms so i hit F1 and it opens up wingman menu. When taxing he reports "Rolling", he taxi to right runaway. Then once been cleared for takeoff he just stays on runaway. He joins me only when i'm already engaging enemies 30+km away. I did more custom missions of this kind, but problem showed up only in Nevada.

I hope these days I'll be able to create more missions and save and post tracks.

More likely it's me not DCS. I think force is strong in me but i'm not a jedi yet!