Upgraded from Oculus Rift to Hp Reverb and need configuration help

killerquagmire

Hey guys, just got my new Reverb today and I'm having problems transitioning my system over from the Rift. From what I've read, it should be as simple as unplugging the Rift. I was hoping to keep Oculus software and use the Revive mod that allows you to play those games on the Reverb, but it appears I'm having some interference issues.

Whenever I start DCS it starts the game in oculus app even though it's not plugged in. I installed Steam VR and was able to get DCS going in my Reverb but the oculus app still starts in the background and I'm getting an insane amount of jitter and the mouse is not functioning within the game. I had to take off the headset and click all the buttons on the desktop outside of VR just to get a mission going. Again, I'm sure this is all to do with some cross interference so I'm hoping someone else has upgraded from Oculus and can give me some guidance here. 

I'm on Openbeta- latest edition and I launch the game with skatezilla's updater tool. 

To keep the Oculus app from running automatically, you can set the Oculus executable file to "Run as administrator".  Once you have it set tht way, any time you do actually want to run the Oculus software, you just run it manually, and now it will pop up a window asking if you want to allow it to run.

I read your other thread as well, and I feel your pain.  I almost sent my Reverb back for the same reason.  As it turns out, the main performance killer was the Pixel Density setting in DCS.  With your Oculus, you were probably running a higher PD setting like I was with mine...I think I was running mine at 2.0.  With my Reverb G2, I am currently running DCS PD at 0.7, with the SteamVR rendering factor set to 150% (I think...not home at the moment to confirm that).  Checking those settings and getting them to something similar on your rig should take care of a major part of the problem.

The other problem is that WMR headsets don't use ASW like Oculus headsets do.  WMR headsets, through the SteamVR app, use Motion Reprojection.

For dealing with that, have a look at my post here:

Once you get those things squared away, you shouldn't have to ever mess with them again...except if you want to experiment with getting more eye candy.  At that point, you'll find yourself much happier than you were initially.  Mine runs great now.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

4 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

To keep the Oculus app from running automatically, you can set the Oculus executable file to "Run as administrator".  Once you have it set tht way, any time you do actually want to run the Oculus software, you just run it manually, and now it will pop up a window asking if you want to allow it to run.

I read your other thread as well, and I feel your pain.  I almost sent my Reverb back for the same reason.  As it turns out, the main performance killer was the Pixel Density setting in DCS.  With your Oculus, you were probably running a higher PD setting like I was with mine...I think I was running mine at 2.0.  With my Reverb G2, I am currently running DCS PD at 0.7, with the SteamVR rendering factor set to 150% (I think...not home at the moment to confirm that).  Checking those settings and getting them to something similar on your rig should take care of a major part of the problem.

The other problem is that WMR headsets don't use ASW like Oculus headsets do.  WMR headsets, through the SteamVR app, use Motion Reprojection.

For dealing with that, have a look at my post here:

Once you get those things squared away, you shouldn't have to ever mess with them again...except if you want to experiment with getting more eye candy.  At that point, you'll find yourself much happier than you were initially.  Mine runs great now.

That helped a lot! Much improved after running that. One other issue I'm having is that every time I lean in or move side to side, the entire cockpit moves! Not digging that at all. Is there a correction for that or is that just the way it is with the Reverb?

16 minutes ago, killerquagmire said:

That helped a lot! Much improved after running that. One other issue I'm having is that every time I lean in or move side to side, the entire cockpit moves! Not digging that at all. Is there a correction for that or is that just the way it is with the Reverb?

It's only tracking in 3DOF rather than the normal 6, first of all reset the environment data in the wmr settings (wmr builds a picture of your environment so it can recognize features to track against), if that doesn't help then look at the area you're playing in.

When you first setup the reverb in wmr it should have gotten you to look around and then at the floor, this is basically scanning the area for things it can track.

The G2 needs a little light to track the environment, too much (bright sunlight) can cause the controllers not not track as well though. It's helpful to have discernable objects and shapes, generally the normal desk/monitor setup is sufficient.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

It's only tracking in 3DOF rather than the normal 6, first of all reset the environment data in the wmr settings (wmr builds a picture of your environment so it can recognize features to track against), if that doesn't help then look at the area you're playing in.

When you first setup the reverb in wmr it should have gotten you to look around and then at the floor, this is basically scanning the area for things it can track.

The G2 needs a little light to track the environment, too much (bright sunlight) can cause the controllers not not track as well though. It's helpful to have discernable objects and shapes, generally the normal desk/monitor setup is sufficient.

That worked. Tried to do the Opencomposite again now that I have Steam stable but I'm getting a lot of shaking and some slight stutter. Any fix for that or should I just stick with SteamVR? Just trying squeeze out as much FPS as possible while keeping graphics high. Plus, the loading screen for DCS in Steam is obnoxious inside VR lol

Have a look through my openxr tuning guide thread for some insight into the settings and tweaks you can do. Knowing what your hardware is would help guide you further on what you should be expecting performance wise 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.