HMD eye render VR

Roller25

What's the most "realistic" option for HMD render in VR? I've read that although in the real jet it is rendered infront of the right eye, it can be seen with both. So in that case, wouldn't it be more realistic rendered for both in VR? 

I'm using right eye at the moment, but it doesn't feel very natural.

35 minutes ago, Roller25 said:

What's the most "realistic" option for HMD render in VR? I've read that although in the real jet it is rendered infront of the right eye, it can be seen with both. So in that case, wouldn't it be more realistic rendered for both in VR? 

I'm using right eye at the moment, but it doesn't feel very natural.

I was the same but then felt I had to get used to it for the apache. It takes time but you do get used to it. I would also like to know what's realistic for F18/F16. I have seen videos of A10C pilots with a small screen over the right eye, I assume its the same but the JMHCs does seem quite large.

• Like 1

oh you mean the the Hornet's HMD in game, gotcha 

yes  one eye is realistic. both is clearer 🙂 I use the default right

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I was the same but then felt I had to get used to it for the apache. It takes time but you do get used to it. I would also like to know what's realistic for F18/F16. I have seen videos of A10C pilots with a small screen over the right eye, I assume its the same but the JMHCs does seem quite large.

The Apache I can deal with getting used to it through the right eye because the real one is a monocle over one eye..

But I *think* the JHMCS is more like an image projected on a screen which happens to be displayed to the right side..

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

oh you mean the the Hornet's HMD in game, gotcha 

yes  one eye is realistic. both is clearer 🙂 I use the default right

Is it realistic though? In the real one if you closed your right eye, would you still see it with your left? To my understanding the image is just favored to the right side..

• Like 1

Just now, Roller25 said:

The Apache I can deal with getting used to it through the right eye because the real one is a monocle over one eye..

But I *think* the JHMCS is more like an image projected on a screen which happens to be displayed to the right side..

Interesting, I couldn't stand right eye until I forced myself to get used to the apache. Its visible monocle is great in VR. Now I use right in the jets without noticing. I would go back to both if this was realistic

Just thought I would check wiki to see, doesn't say much about eye render but I did spot the line: The integration of the night-vision goggles with the JHMCS was a key requirement of the program. Hmm? Wiki rubbish?

33 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Interesting, I couldn't stand right eye until I forced myself to get used to the apache. Its visible monocle is great in VR. Now I use right in the jets without noticing. I would go back to both if this was realistic

Just thought I would check wiki to see, doesn't say much about eye render but I did spot the line: The integration of the night-vision goggles with the JHMCS was a key requirement of the program. Hmm? Wiki rubbish?

I think in DCS using VR, neither is entirely realistic due to the way our headsets are. But perhaps, only for the JHMCS, both eyes could pass as somewhat realistic.

I guess only a real Hornet driver could answer the question

• Like 1

OQxzw9.Screenshot-2022-08-13-010033.png

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

10 hours ago, 5ephir0th said:

OQxzw9.Screenshot-2022-08-13-010033.png

Not JHMCS.

And my understanding is its projected on the single visor as you guys have described, but it's projected on the right hand side in front of the right eye. So if you close your right eye I think you'd be able to see it still out of you left peripheral but it wouldn't be useable.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:29 AM, Hoirtel said:

There is a development of JHMCS that allows the visor to be swapped for NVG and allow JHMCS symbology to be projected inside the tubes. But they don't use it IRL and definitely didn't use it on the legacy hornets.

Edited by Swift.
  • Like 2

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

If you were looking at an image that is projected in front of the right eye with your left eye, that would create parallax problems. Depending on how that system is designed, you would either not see the markings that are projected, or if you could see them, they would not match with the outside world.

Most people are dominant in one eye, much as they’re right or left handed. I believe that right eye dominant is also most common, so projecting an image to the right eye is ideal for most users. 

To test your own eyes, point at something in the distance with both eyes open. Close one eye, and then alternate. The eye which the pointing finger is aligned with is the dominant eye. 

I am very much left eye dominant, so I use the HMD in both eyes in DCS. Right only is nearly impossible to use. 

• Thanks 1