Landing Gear keeps "breaking"

raithedavion

I've noticed that lately, no matter how I land in the viper the landing gear always ends up broken (flat tire/etc) so my taxi to parking is bumpy, sometimes its near impossible.  Using the steam version of DCS Open Beta, fully updated to the latest. 

The track I saved is like 27 MB so I can't add it here.  But here is a link to it:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fltjmy51qumg6qe/landing_gear_issue.trk?dl=0

System Specs:  Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX 3060i, 32 GB DDR4 RAM.  I've been doing the Coiled Viper mission that comes with the DLC on the Caucasus map.  Standard weapons loadout.  I've also done loadouts with ECM/Targeting pods installed, same result with the landing gear.  Not sure what I'm missing.  I don't get hit with enemy fire, so its either a bug or I'm just missing something on take-off or landing?  

DCS Version: 2.7.16.28157

Your track is way too long and unlikely to replay correctly. Can you replicate your issue in a much smaller track? (Like place your aircraft in the ME and land) Or do you also have a video of the landing?

Generally speaking, if you have flat tires it means you went faster than the tires could handle, be it either taking off too late or landing with too much speed. If rotate at the correct time and land with on AoA speed, none of that should happen.

3 hours ago, raithedavion said:

Thanks, will try.  I THINK I see some sparks at take off.  I finally figured out I could replay 😄 Will give it a go with a slower take off.

Knock on wood, I have not to date broken the gear, the jet many times but not the gear yet. 

• Like 1

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 8/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, raithedavion said:

I've noticed that lately, no matter how I land in the viper the landing gear always ends up broken (flat tire/etc) so my taxi to parking is bumpy, sometimes its near impossible.  Using the steam version of DCS Open Beta, fully updated to the latest. 

The track I saved is like 27 MB so I can't add it here.  But here is a link to it:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fltjmy51qumg6qe/landing_gear_issue.trk?dl=0

System Specs:  Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX 3060i, 32 GB DDR4 RAM.  I've been doing the Coiled Viper mission that comes with the DLC on the Caucasus map.  Standard weapons loadout.  I've also done loadouts with ECM/Targeting pods installed, same result with the landing gear.  Not sure what I'm missing.  I don't get hit with enemy fire, so its either a bug or I'm just missing something on take-off or landing?  

DCS Version: 2.7.16.28157

You should take a look some correct landing techniques, this one is pretty awesome: 

Or this so called Overhead brake & landing:

And you won't brake anything no more 🙂

Edited by skywalker22
  • Like 1

I haven't run into this with the 16 yet, and it's my most flown aircraft in this sim, but I've had it happen often on FC3 aircraft, typically anywhere randomly between 0 and 100 kts. I suspect it may be some sort of runway geometry problem, possibly related to some kind of framerate or desync amplified by FC3 tire physics, because a similar thing with FC3 aircraft happens when rolling over a small corner of grass at ~2 kts rolling speed. However, it may also be related to weather turbulence settings because it appears more common there as well. I'm not sure if a tire itself is submerging under the runway, perhaps at a triangle, and then interacting with a simulated grass pothole/rock?

I'd suggest anyone looking into this to take note of the speed, the specific runway, and the specific location of that runway if someone supplies a track or video. Socchi Addler on the main runway facing West was a common place for FC3 aircraft to blow tires at low speeds during short takeoffs.

There've been times I've pancaked planes pretty hard or gone sideways with em due to really high cross winds, all while surviving just fine. Yet other times, buttery smooth touchdowns in perfect conditions just explode every tire on the plane shortly after touch down. Yet, I still haven't seen any such thing happen on the F16. The tire simulation on it feels indestructible. I think I've bent the gear more times than I've popped tires on it.

Edited by FusRoPotato