This module in VR is just... Wow.

martinistripes

Yesterday, I took the Apache for a spin in VR (Valve Index). I normally run in 2D, only because my laptop 3070Ti/Headset combo just can't offer enough clarity and detail at smooth framerates (I have motion smoothing off as I don't like the artifacts). As I found with the Mi-8, the sense of depth perception allows you to instinctively throw the helicopter around with a whole new level of confidence and finesse. Landing and maneuvering, and (better still) targeting things with the monocle all suddenly feels "right". For short periods it's an amazing revelation.

I'm a little envious of those with desktop rigs right now with fewer thermal/performance limits. Because I absolutely would invest in a 3090 and top CPU if I didn't work away. For a guy that grew up on early 90s sims, this module and sim as a whole, in VR, is all we could dream of.

Thanks ED 👍

• Like 13

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

21 hours ago, martinistripes said:

Yesterday, I took the Apache for a spin in VR (Valve Index). I normally run in 2D, only because my laptop 3070Ti/Headset combo just can't offer enough clarity and detail at smooth framerates (I have motion smoothing off as I don't like the artifacts). As I found with the Mi-8, the sense of depth perception allows you to instinctively throw the helicopter around with a whole new level of confidence and finesse. Landing and maneuvering, and (better still) targeting things with the monocle all suddenly feels "right". For short periods it's an amazing revelation.

I'm a little envious of those with desktop rigs right now with fewer thermal/performance limits. Because I absolutely would invest in a 3090 and top CPU if I didn't work away. For a guy that grew up on early 90s sims, this module and sim as a whole, in VR, is all we could dream of.

Thanks ED 👍

As someone who basically got into computers in the late 80's to play flight sims I am so glad that ED has almost single handedly kept the genre going when it looked like it was about to die out in the 2000's. They and their partners have consistantly delivered ground breaking sims that were unimaginable when i started with this hobby.

Agree 100% about how VR, with the depth perception and being able to move your head (e.g. look up or over your shoulder) without losing spatial awareness, puts you right there in the cockpit. Another thing that was just a pipe-dream not too many years ago.

Even with 'just' a 2080 (it is the weak link in my PC) and a Reverb G2 I couldn't imagine going back to this or any other DCS module on a flat screen and a TrackIR. I can easily tolerate lower resolution/effects in VR compared to a monitor to keep the frame rate up for 'combat' missions and have created custom missions for all my modules where my aircraft is the only other thing in the sky so I can crank up the detail and do nothing other than happily fly from A to B 🙂

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Harry_Bumcrack said:

I couldn't imagine going back to this or any other DCS module on a flat screen and a TrackIR.

I switch between the two all the time but for a serious flight its 2d for me. I just need the keyboard for all the switches its just too hard in VR IMO 

now for just tooling around I like VR but can't stay in it for too long so.....back to 2d 🙂

8 hours ago, pii said:

I switch between the two all the time but for a serious flight its 2d for me. I just need the keyboard for all the switches its just too hard in VR IMO 

now for just tooling around I like VR but can't stay in it for too long so.....back to 2d 🙂

"I just need the keyboard for all the switches" - Have you tried Voice Attack? works for me :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pii said:

If you're truly "serious" you should get Pointctrl for VR 😉

(Link in my signature)

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

7 hours ago, Harry_Bumcrack said:

"I just need the keyboard for all the switches" - Have you tried Voice Attack? works for me 🙂

I have tried but I also do not like wearing a headset of I don't have to. I think I will try to find a light/small mic only and give it another try, it does seem like it could be useful.

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

(Link in my signature)

looks very interesting may try it someday . I always thought just having a pop up keyboard in VR would also be a help. 

Thanks for the heads up on what looks like a cool product for DCS.

Does it work for other apps?

12 minutes ago, pii said:

I have tried but I also do not like wearing a headset of I don't have to. I think I will try to find a light/small mic only and give it another try, it does seem like it could be useful.

It's essential really. I have all the keyboard commands I need in a basic VA profile. So easy to use. Most headsets have mic too. 

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

(Link in my signature)

Does pointctrl give you access to the keyboard? 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 2:05 AM, Harry_Bumcrack said:

They and their partners have consistantly delivered ground breaking sims that were unimaginable when i started with this hobby.

I also started in the 80's and compared to those sims DCS is the dream and I am constantly amazed at how far we have come in personal computing and flight sims. DCS is simply Amazing stuff!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Most headsets have mic too. 

I don't like headsets but a simply mic may do. maybe I'll revisit it soon.

14 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

It's basically turns your finger into a mouse pointer so you can more easily access the switched in the cockpit    (I think) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pii said:

I don't like headsets but a simply mic may do. maybe I'll revisit it soon.

It's basically turns your finger into a mouse pointer so you can more easily access the switched in the cockpit    (I think) 

I meant VR headsets.

Yes so pointcrtl is really instead of a mouse. You would still need to manage the keyboard separately. 

2 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I meant VR headsets.

Yes so pointcrtl is really instead of a mouse. You would still need to manage the keyboard separately. 

I meant VR headsets."

"lol duh! 🙂 

No, with pointctl you can access the switches I need the keyboard for. You can do it with DCS controllers but they have issues for me , like the arm of my chair prevents me from getting to some switches. Not sure how it would work in that case. More research required! 

49 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Other than maybe to operate the radio menu (personally I use VAICOM for that) or maybe press the Esc key once in a while, you don't need your keyboard for the full fidelity modules. Heck, I haven't even used the switches on my throttle base since I use Pointctrl. Way to much fun clicking everything in cockpit with your hands.

Pii said "for a serious flight its 2d for me". A serious flight for me would be; flying full fidelity modules, as realistic as possible and without using external views or the F10 map. Just saying, for that, a HOTAS set, VR, Pointctrl (and maybe VAICOM) are a perfect recipe 🙂 

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

19 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Other than maybe to operate the radio menu (personally I use VAICOM for that) or maybe press the Esc key once in a while, you don't need your keyboard for the full fidelity modules. Heck, I haven't even used the switches on my throttle base since I use Pointctrl. Way to much fun clicking everything in cockpit with your hands.

Pii said "for a serious flight its 2d for me". A serious flight for me would be; flying full fidelity modules, as realistic as possible and without using external views or the F10 map. Just saying, for that, a HOTAS set, VR, Pointctrl (and maybe VAICOM) are a perfect recipe 🙂 

Once you add it up there is a lot of keyboard commands. All "game" commands. Not aircraft operation (unless you want to) There are less required game commands if you only do SP. I used to use vaicom but prefer plain VA for simpler integration. 

Edited by Hoirtel

19 hours ago, sirrah said:

(Link in my signature)

Thanks. I am 'seriously' looking at getting this 🙂

Waiting to hear back if they will ship to Australia and checking what the likely cost in Aussie $$ will be - exchange rate being what it is at the mo.

11 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Once you add it up there is a lot of keyboard commands. All "game" commands. Not aircraft operation (unless you want to) There are less required game commands if you only do SP. I used to use vaicom but prefer plain VA for simpler integration. 

I am pretty much restricted to SP and VoiceAttack meets 99% of my needs - especially thanks to Bailey's profiles.

I live in a semi-remote rural area of Australia and the nearest major town is a two hour drive, we don't have cell phone coverage and rely on satellite internet (not starlink), so latency/lag kills just about every MP game for me. However I wouldn't exchange that for the serenity and tight knit community we enjoy.

As much as I would like to experience the Apache and Tomcat in MP with real humans in the cockpit with me and as wingmen... The AI, George and Jester aint perfect, but are better than nothing.

Edited by Harry_Bumcrack

1 hour ago, Harry_Bumcrack said:

I am pretty much restricted to SP and VoiceAttack meets 99% of my needs - especially thanks to Bailey's profiles.

I live in a semi-remote rural area of Australia and the nearest major town is a two hour drive, we don't have cell phone coverage and rely on satellite internet (not starlink), so latency/lag kills just about every MP game for me. However I wouldn't exchange that for the serenity and tight knit community we enjoy.

As much as I would like to experience the Apache and Tomcat in MP with real humans in the cockpit with me and as wingmen... The AI, George and Jester aint perfect, but are better than nothing.

Get a few others in your community interested in DCS, and hold a LAN party.  (Oh the nostalgia of the 90's)  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dangerzone said:

Get a few others in your community interested in DCS, and hold a LAN party.  (Oh the nostalgia of the 90's)  😉

I wish 😉 Fond memories of LAN parties... 20 sweaty teens packed into a room, running extra power from the neighbours because we kept tripping the circuit breakers, empty pizza boxes and soda cans piling up in the corner, etc

Unfortunately, we are very much a farming community and I'm the 'only computer nerd in the village' 🙂 Means I get to help them with their PC problems and they get to help me with repairing fences and rounding up stock in return 🙂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Harry_Bumcrack said:

I wish 😉 Fond memories of LAN parties... 20 sweaty teens packed into a room, running extra power from the neighbours because we kept tripping the circuit breakers, empty pizza boxes and soda cans piling up in the corner, etc

Unfortunately, we are very much a farming community and I'm the 'only computer nerd in the village' 🙂 Means I get to help them with their PC problems and they get to help me with repairing fences and rounding up stock in return 🙂

I'm not sure who your provider is, but I have played online with someone in rural WA who uses a satellite link (not starlink), and yeah - while the link isn't the greatest - it seems to allow them to play fairly effectively. Connecting to Australian servers of course. Not sure whether the additional latency to EU/US would work well for them. Without knowing your provider, setup, etc it's obviously difficult to comment DCS seems to handle higher latancy better than other games (especially FPS's).

And the soda and pizza boxes. Sounds like Australian LAN's were all the same. 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

I'm not sure who your provider is, but I have played online with someone in rural WA who uses a satellite link (not starlink), and yeah - while the link isn't the greatest - it seems to allow them to play fairly effectively. Connecting to Australian servers of course. Not sure whether the additional latency to EU/US would work well for them. Without knowing your provider, setup, etc it's obviously difficult to comment DCS seems to handle higher latancy better than other games (especially FPS's).

And the soda and pizza boxes. Sounds like Australian LAN's were all the same. 😁

Cheers. Interweb access is via the NBN Sky Muster (geostationary) satellite. Ka band so decent speed, but 30,000km each way + the terrestrial link = 300m/s latency on a good day. I have to admit I haven't tried DCS in MP, but I gave up on ARMA 3 multiplayer because of this.

If DCS handles lag fairly well I will have to give MP a try. Any suggestions for an East Coast AU server (for players in my time zone as well as latency)? Edit: Just checked the Oceania servers via the in game MP browser and all of them are pinging at over 650m/s... I'm guessing that's going to be a problem?

PS. used soda instead of 'soft drink' because I have worked with enough US military to know it is easier to speak 'American' than explain Australianisms (e.g. fanny and thongs have a completely different meaning here) 😛

Edited by Harry_Bumcrack
Update
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Harry_Bumcrack said:

Cheers. Interweb access is via the NBN Sky Muster (geostationary) satellite. Ka band so decent speed, but 30,000km each way + the terrestrial link = 300m/s latency on a good day. I have to admit I haven't tried DCS in MP, but I gave up on ARMA 3 multiplayer because of this.

If DCS handles lag fairly well I will have to give MP a try. Any suggestions for an East Coast AU server (for players in my time zone as well as latency)? Edit: Just checked the Oceania servers via the in game MP browser and all of them are pinging at over 650m/s... I'm guessing that's going to be a problem?

PS. used soda instead of 'soft drink' because I have worked with enough US military to know it is easier to speak 'American' than explain Australianisms (e.g. fanny and thongs have a completely different meaning here) 😛

Dang - sorry to hear about the pinging over 650. Yeah - that would be a problem. And yeah - hear what your saying. Torch/flashlight. Best that Americans here "barack" for their sports team, coz to do the other has a whole new meaning.  😉