Binding F10 / F1 to hotas

Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

I've been trying to bind the theatre map to buttons on my warthog (using the paddle as a modifer) but getting nothing, it works just fine with the F10 but no response when bound to a different controller.  Is this a known issue or is there a workaround? 🙂

I did notice that F10 is bound twice (default bindings) for theatre map and theatre map zoomed to aircraft, is this linked?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• Solution

In which category did you change bindings? "General" or aircraft category?

category.png

I've just tested : it will only work if you edit aircraft bindings.

I'm not sure the "General" category is still useful today.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Ah, I'm not 100% sure on that one, I'll check tonight; I suspect that I would have added the binding in general as it would be a common one across all modules.

Will check back and investigate setting it module specific, thanks 🙂 

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Bound in module specific and it works perfectly thanks 🙂 

Rather than make a new thread with another silly question I thought I would hijack my own silly question thread, @Flappie as you're such a helpful and knowledgable person, do you know if there is any way to pan the theatre map without using a mouse?

Interesting, it doesn't work for me, is there a specific bind for panning? It could be that they've been inadvertantly cleared.

I've tried various combinations of modifier keys with no joy, if it should be bound to key then I'll try resetting the keyboard config to default (there's only a couple of modifications I use).

2 minutes ago, Flappie said:

@edmuss Apologies, I was talking about a feature from the Mission Editor, not the F10 map.

I'm pretty sure it never worked in F10 map.

Bummer!

I don't think it makes a difference but I'm doing this in VR, mouse controls are bound to the warthog CMS switch so I can mouseclick and wheel zoom on the F10 map but the mouse click and drag doesn't pan.  Perhaps if the cursor could behave as it does in the VR cockpit (slaved to the headset movement) and click/drag/click/drag would pan it about then that would be a nice workaround - saves having to bind 4 more buttons for x/y axis panning. One for the wishlist? 🙂

Voiceattack is your friend for VR. All "game"  controls can be done by voice alone. F-keys, score, rearming window, esc, pause, kneeboard, whatever you like. Very very helpful and leaves precious hotas buttons for aircraft controls/radios. If panning F10 is possible via the keyboard, then you can set this too.

I have voiceattack listen set to the centre push of my warthog, so that is basically my access to everything that isn't in the cockpit. I use the NS430 and the scratchpad mod. Both voice called. Couldn't do VR without it now.

• Like 1

It's all well and good but I don't think the bind for panning the map exists 😞

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

I don't touch it at all outside of menus if I can help it, I use leap motion for 80% of the controls and headset slaved cursor with mouse buttons on the hotas for those controls I can't use the leap because of occlusion.

Being able to click the mouse in the map and pan it around with the slaved cursor would work just fine for me.

Interestingly enough on a different topic, I've been able to use the leap motion hands to manipulate the F2 view like a multi touch phone screen 😁

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I've not tried leap motion. I always wonder how it would feel engaging with a cockpit that isnt really there. Do you hands ever collide with things in the real world or so you have to make sure it's clear?

Although you don't get the physical feedback, you do get the precise visual feedback which in my opinion works really nicely now. Some switches are difficult to activate reliably (multi position rotaries can be awkward) but toggle and push buttons are a joy.

Hand occlusion from desk/hotas/legs but this can usually be alleviated by leaning in towards the controls in question.

Physical clashes are generally a function of making sure the desk is far enough away to be able to get UFC/MFD buttons. Adjusting the world scale can help a great deal here, as can leaning back, setting the vr centre and then setting normally.

It's not for all, I took a punt and picked one up on eBay for 30 quid and it's been great 🙂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Although you don't get the physical feedback, you do get the precise visual feedback which in my opinion works really nicely now. Some switches are difficult to activate reliably (multi position rotaries can be awkward) but toggle and push buttons are a joy.

Hand occlusion from desk/hotas/legs but this can usually be alleviated by leaning in towards the controls in question.

Physical clashes are generally a function of making sure the desk is far enough away to be able to get UFC/MFD buttons. Adjusting the world scale can help a great deal here, as can leaning back, setting the vr centre and then setting normally.

It's not for all, I took a punt and picked one up on eBay for 30 quid and it's been great 🙂

Yeah I think I would have to clear everything. 30 quid!? I would try that... Hmmm. 

• Like 1

I’m a noob and not good with computers. That’s a major part of the problem but I don’t know what the “action” re-center Trackir is  called in dcs and the list of choices is long. I appreciate your encouragement 

I don't think you can re-center your Track IR using DCS. I don't. You need to do it in the Track IR software. Launch your Track IR software and reach the "Profiles" tab:

1. Ensure "Center" command is selected in the "Action" field.
  2. Click "F12" in the "Key" field.
  3. Now press the joystick button of your choice: "F12" gets replaced by "Joystick ...".

TIR5_bind.png

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Flappie I think you’re right but I don’t know enough to have an opinion about technical issues like that. To be honest if the install wasn’t plug n play it’d be above my skill level but I’m learning.
I can’t thank you enough for the instructions.