Waving the White Flag on the HP Reverb G2

killerquagmire

Well guys, I'm making a last ditch plea for help on this thing before I put in for an RMA Monday. I just bought the HP Reverb G2 earlier this week as an upgrade to the Oculus S and have been met with total disappointment. Yes it looks phenomenal until you turn your head and then it's micro stutter and screen tear galore.

I have spent an insane amount of time over the last 3 days trying to tweak this hunk of junk to correct this problem. I have followed every guide listed here, Youtube videos and left no stone unturned on the internet and the problem still persists. I've tried tweaking SteamVr, OpenXR Tools, Opencomposite,  OpenXR Toolkit, underclocking, overclocking, lowering resolution, lowering graphical settings and even tried reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows to no avail. I have built at least half a dozen custom rigs and been fiddling with PC's for most of my life and I have never invested this much time in trying to get functionality out of a piece of hardware. At this point, I'm starting to think that this is just the way it is with the Reverb and people deal with the micro stutter because of the superior image quality. But for me, I can't. The Oculus may be lower resolution but it was buttery smooth and I will take that all day over high resolution micro stutter. 

So now that I have let off some steam (no pun intended), I'm hoping that someone, ANYONE out there can share their settings with me that has a rig similar to mine. I just can't believe that this is the best the Reverb can offer given all the praise I've seen. There has to be something I'm missing here.

Intel 10k600 OC @ 4.9 GHZ

Asus Tuf Z490 Mobo

Asus Strx RTX 3090 OC

32 GB Corsair Dominator Memory 3200 Mhz

Windows 11 Pro

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Edited by killerquagmire

• ED Team

Hi, 

can you attach a screenshot of your dcs settings and your other VR settings in windows mixed reality.

let us know also what hard drives you are using and attach your dcs.log also 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have a 1TB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD. Nothing on the system but Windows and DCS. Also, I use Skatezillas DCS updater and have already tried the extended deep repair and clean.

I couldn't figure out how to do the screenshot of OpenXR tool kit but I have the resolution set manually just a little below the standard resolution for the Reverb. Motion control is disabled. It seems to be much worse with it on. FYI my FPS never drops below 45. Mostly stays around 70 FPS or higher but the micro stutter is still there. Thank you for any help you can provide.

• ED Team

Hi, 

do you have hotplug disabled in dcs controls? if not disable it and see if it helps

will add my multiplayer vr settings below. 

I am running openXR at 100% curently

Screen_220813_152235.png

Screen_220813_152238.png

Screenshot 2022-08-12 114833.png

Screenshot 2022-08-12 114905.png

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the reply. I’ll give that a shot when I get back home shortly. You mentioned disabling hot plug in DCS controls. I don’t recall ever seeing such a setting. I will look for it when I get home but if it’s hidden somewhere, please let me know where to find it. Thanks

1 hour ago, killerquagmire said:

Thanks for the reply. I’ll give that a shot when I get back home shortly. You mentioned disabling hot plug in DCS controls. I don’t recall ever seeing such a setting. I will look for it when I get home but if it’s hidden somewhere, please let me know where to find it. Thanks

Open the controls settings for any module, and there's a button on the bottom row to disable/enable it.

Cheers! 

- Also try to maximize your system pagefile size according to your memory

image.jpeg

-Clean all your old settings from steam VR using this method :

image.jpeg

Also in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings or wherever you have installed your steam main program

look for the file inside this folder named default.vrsettings and search for motionReprojectionMode and make sure is none.image.png

And One last thing.... make sure where yo have intalled your dcs and your pagefilesystem HDDs or SSDs have enough free space to handle all

Can't help you so far.....null

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

Guys, thank you for trying to help and I appreciate all of your suggestions. This truly is the best gaming community that I have ever been a part of. Unfortunately, nothing has made an impact. Every time I think I just about have the micro stutter minimalized to a point I can live with, I start getting all these crazy frame jumps and lag about 5 minutes or so in flight that destroys my entire experience. It's especially prevalent when I turn my head. I don't know if it's piss poor tracking (and I'm in a well lit room) or just incompatibility with my system, but it definitely isn't providing me with an enjoyable experience. I see the potential, but it just isn't playing nice with my hardware. I have a sneaking suspicion it's not jiving with my CPU. Seems like most people that posted their specs are using an i7 while I'm using an i5. The bottom line is, I just didn't have these problems with my Oculus S so I'm sending this sucker back Monday and going back to that. I will take the lower resolution smooth flight over a high res stutter fest any day. Thanks again.

• Like 2

Try these steps:

1. Ensure Windows Hardware GPU Advanced Schedulingis ddisabled.
  2. Add DCS main folder as an exception in your Antivirus/Antimalware software.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Guys, thank you for trying to help and I appreciate all of your suggestions. This truly is the best gaming community that I have ever been a part of. Unfortunately, nothing has made an impact. Every time I think I just about have the micro stutter minimalized to a point I can live with, I start getting all these crazy frame jumps and lag about 5 minutes or so in flight that destroys my entire experience. It's especially prevalent when I turn my head. I don't know if it's piss poor tracking (and I'm in a well lit room) or just incompatibility with my system, but it definitely isn't providing me with an enjoyable experience. I see the potential, but it just isn't playing nice with my hardware. I have a sneaking suspicion it's not jiving with my CPU. Seems like most people that posted their specs are using an i7 while I'm using an i5. The bottom line is, I just didn't have these problems with my Oculus S so I'm sending this sucker back Monday and going back to that. I will take the lower resolution smooth flight over a high res stutter fest any day. Thanks again.
Sorry to hear that, I went from an oculus rift s to a Reverb g2 and had zero problem with it, same smooth experience.

Just throwing some crazy ideas around, have you tried different usb ports? Have you tried a powered USB hub to connect the reverb?

I remember back when I received I had a problem with the USB port that I used for the rift S, that didn't like the reverb, changing to a different USB port solved the problem.

Also as a last effort, try requesting another reverb from a different hw dealer while you RMA this one, who knows...

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Well guys, as a last ditch effort I rolled back to Windows 10 and that appears to have fixed the problem! I'm going to do some more testing later tonight but everything is much much smoother and no tearing or frame jumps! Thanks again for all the help guys. I will say it again- Best damn community in gaming!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 7:00 PM, killerquagmire said:

Asus Tuf Z490 Mobo

Asus Strx RTX 3090 OC

32 GB Corsair Dominator Memory 3200 Mhz

Windows 11 Pro

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

i did read somewhere that there are compatibility issues between the reverb 2 & 3090, but i thought it was with just the 3090ti

i have the same video card as you, and it functions with my reverb gen 1.2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

A few questions, I also use the Reverb2, combined with OpenXR @75%. Comparable settings to what @BIGNEWY posted, shadows on "flat". I use smaller values for Preload Radius, Forest Visibility, Forest Details, Scenery Details and Clutter / Grass. Especially at low altitude / on the ramp these settings have quite an impact. MSAA Mask is 0.35

What timings does your (RAM) memory run at?

My rig:

Ryzen 5800x (OC)
32GB G.Skill 3733@C14-14-14-34
Radeon 6900XT (OC)
Samsung 980 Pro for storage
Reverb G2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

On 8/14/2022 at 12:59 PM, killerquagmire said:

Well guys, as a last ditch effort I rolled back to Windows 10 and that appears to have fixed the problem! I'm going to do some more testing later tonight but everything is much much smoother and no tearing or frame jumps! Thanks again for all the help guys. I will say it again- Best damn community in gaming!

Late to the party here, but on the VR4DCS blog, it's been suggested that HAGS (hardware accelerated GPU scheduling) is on by default in Windows 11 and can result in some problems in some use cases.  HAGS is not on by default in Windows 10.  I don't use Windows 11, so I don't know much more detail, but you might want to look into that if you plan on Win 11 in the future

Edited by jaylw314