mod tag in mission editor for mods

upyr1

Maybe somebody could make a mod to do this…

• Thanks 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Or the Mod Authors can include it in the Module Name.

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

4 hours ago, upyr1 said:

This way as new assets get added we can tell if we have mod or official DCS asset 

I get that information from the Unit List:

2lO5OrS.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

7 hours ago, joey45 said:

Like in the category dropdown box thingy in the ME??? 

I don't really care how they do it, just give me a way to filter out mods when designing a mission. Though ideally I'd want the following

1. The ability to select a stand in asset
  2. An option for an install and update link- in other words a built in mod manager

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 1

I can’t see why ED should put effort towards managing mods when these are in fact mods. They’re not an official part of the sim. The modding community should make tools like this, not ED. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

46 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I can’t see why ED should put effort towards managing mods when these are in fact mods.

Because they're the only ones who can do it since such management is infinitely more useful if it's an integral part of the game.

And because improving the support for mods is perhaps the fastest, easiest, cheapest, and most massively rewarding way of making the game far better and far more appealing to a far wider audience.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

4 minutes ago, Tippis said:

Because they're the only ones who can do it since such management is infinitely more useful if it's an integral part of the game.

And because improving the support for mods is perhaps the fastest, easiest, cheapest, and most massively rewarding way of making the game far better and far more appealing to a far wider audience.

Personally I think mods are a gigantic waste of time for everyone involved. But that’s just me I suppose. But there are already 3rd party mod manager apps and such. 

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

Personally I think mods are a gigantic waste of time

Your opinion is noted and irrelevant. So is your posting in this thread, by this very admission.

Do you remember what the mods keep telling you?

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

But there are already 3rd party mod manager apps and such. 

There is also a built-in mod manager and such. There is no intelligent or cogent reason for not improving it.

Edited by Tippis
  • Thanks 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

15 minutes ago, Tippis said:

Your opinion is noted and irrelevant.

My opinion is relevant because I’d like to see spend their resources on more worthwhile goals. Mods by their very definition are not something a game developer should spend their time on. 

Just now, SharpeXB said:

My opinion is relevant

No. This has been explained to you before, by the actual moderators of this very forum. If you disagree with a wishlist item, you show this by not posting.

If you think mods are a gigantic waste of time, nothing you can possibly say is in any way, shape, or form relevant to a topic discussing how the tools to manage them in the game can be improved. Your opinion adds nothing to the topic at hand. It is inherently worthless.

4 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Mods by their very definition are not something a game developer should spend their time on. 

LMAO. So not only are you thoroughly clueless about everything related to DCS, but everything related to video games as a whole. :rotflmao:

Let's drop a few names here and see if you recognise any of them. Microsoft? iD? Epic? Valve? Bethesda? There's a common theme among those that you should look into before you try to claim that your lack of knowledge somehow counts as a definition.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Tippis said:

Let's drop a few names here and see if you recognise any of them. Microsoft? iD? Epic? Valve? Bethesda?

And ED is not a large developer with the resources these other companies have. I’m sure they have to be much more considerate about how they spend their time and money. 

On 8/14/2022 at 2:29 PM, Tippis said:

This has been explained to you before, by the actual moderators of this very forum. If you disagree with a wishlist item, you show this by not posting.

+1 ... but you waste your time trying to reason with this person ... I just added him to the ignore list and enjoy the fresher mood of the Forum ... pity that I still see his comments on the quotes 😞

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

11 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

And ED is not a large developer with the resources these other companies have.

Guess what would help them become a bigger developer with more resources…? Check that list of names again for further inspiration.

The simple fact is, not only is your opinion irrelevant — it is wrong, which is not something opinions often even can be, but you've managed it. Again.

7 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

+1 ... but you waste your time trying to reason with a troll ... I just added him to the ignore list and enjoy the fresher mood of the Forum

True enough. The problem is that there are those who don't know better and who might end up believing his hallucinations are real if they're left to spread freely. Think of the children! 😛

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, razo+r said:

Turn on the historical filter and then you shouldnt see any mods. If in doubt, check the units list. 

If a unit has been placed on the map before the historical filter is turned on its still there 

9 hours ago, Tippis said:

No. This has been explained to you before, by the actual moderators of this very forum. If you disagree with a wishlist item, you show this by not posting.

If you think mods are a gigantic waste of time, nothing you can possibly say is in any way, shape, or form relevant to a topic discussing how the tools to manage them in the game can be improved. Your opinion adds nothing to the topic at hand. It is inherently worthless.

LMAO. So not only are you thoroughly clueless about everything related to DCS, but everything related to video games as a whole. :rotflmao:

Let's drop a few names here and see if you recognise any of them. Microsoft? iD? Epic? Valve? Bethesda? There's a common theme among those that you should look into before you try to claim that your lack of knowledge somehow counts as a definition.

I know great mod support is one the things I like about Bethesda. Mods make things better. Ideally I want to see ED and the other developers  add every possible but until then Mods will have to be a place holder

8 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

+1 ... but you waste your time trying to reason with a troll ... I just added him to the ignore list and enjoy the fresher mood of the Forum ... pity that I still see his comments on the quotes 😞

I got him on ignore too. 

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

I know great mod support is one the things I like about Bethesda

Great Mod support is what helped Unreal become a breakthrough hit, and what has since been recognized as one of the major pillars for a game's continued success (see Counterstrike, Doom, Skyrim, XCOM, Fallout, Minecraft, Civ, Witcher, GTA, Ark, Rimworld, Portal, HalfLife, MSFS). Mods keep people and the community engaged and are thus part of a game's lifeblood. Steam even built a whole platform around it. And that's why DCS also supports mods. I find it indeed somewhat puzzling that Mod integration in DCS is so lacking. It should be simple to discover and access Mods from within DCS: User-created Missions (at minimum) should be discoverable from the missions menu, and mission designers should be able to post/update their missions from within ME (they are already logged into DCS after all, and their missions are usually hosted by ED's servers). A 'Hangar' menu on the main screen could serve for other mods. There's a lot of unused potential, and I'm hoping that Mod support grows in the future. 

• Like 2

Disable mods before launching DCS to Build missions? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2022 at 10:38 AM, razo+r said:

Turn on the historical filter and then you shouldnt see any mods. If in doubt, check the units list. 

Is this how you're able to add mod planes to new and pre-existing missions. Say, if there's a mission you like with the F-15C and you want to play it with the F-15EX or the F-22A?

Thanks!

Edited by einarabelc5

On 8/14/2022 at 10:18 PM, cfrag said:

Great Mod support is what helped Unreal become a breakthrough hit, and what has since been recognized as one of the major pillars for a game's continued success (see Counterstrike, Doom, Skyrim, XCOM, Fallout, Minecraft, Civ, Witcher, GTA, Ark, Rimworld, Portal, HalfLife, MSFS). Mods keep people and the community engaged and are thus part of a game's lifeblood. Steam even built a whole platform around it. And that's why DCS also supports mods. I find it indeed somewhat puzzling that Mod integration in DCS is so lacking. It should be simple to discover and access Mods from within DCS: User-created Missions (at minimum) should be discoverable from the missions menu, and mission designers should be able to post/update their missions from within ME (they are already logged into DCS after all, and their missions are usually hosted by ED's servers). A 'Hangar' menu on the main screen could serve for other mods. There's a lot of unused potential, and I'm hoping that Mod support grows in the future. 

This should be obvious.

I'm only here to find out how can I create a new mission and add a mod plane, or open a copy of an old mission and replace the official plane with a mod. Strange.

3 hours ago, einarabelc5 said:

Is this how you're able to add mod planes to new and pre-existing missions. Say, if there's a mission you like with the F-15C and you want to play it with the F-15EX or the F-22A?

Thanks!

If you want to change the aircraft you just have to open the mission in the mission editor, find the players aircraft and change the type... 

• Like 1