purple spikes SteamVR

Gryzor

I have 1 or 2 purple spikes every 40 or 50 minutes of flight (3090 - 5900x and Valve Imdex). Those purple spikes most times seems completely aleatory, while DCS is running. It is normal to having them? I have RGB off, no background apps, etc... I tried everything.

Edited by Gryzor

• Gryzor changed the title to purple spikes SteamVR

No not normal. Running any mods?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 hours ago, dburne said:

No not normal. Running any mods?

No. But looking at vrcompositor.txt (Steam VR log) everytime I get the stutter, I encounter these lines:

Sun Aug 14 2022 15:32:19.139 - Error! EventWriteString Severe: [NvAPI] Invalid frameIndex: 39087 last=39087  

20 hours ago, Gryzor said:

I have 1 or 2 purple spikes every 40 or 50 minutes of flight (3090 - 5900x and Valve Imdex). Those purple spikes most times seems completely aleatory, while DCS is running. It is normal to having them? I have RGB off, no background apps, etc... I tried everything.

Similar issue here, but getting them more often (I guess due to a weaker hardware). They come up even when I have an active pause on and nothing is really happening in the mission. Most of the time I'm getting 9ms out of 11 (Reverb G2 90Hz), and then suddenly see a couple of them every N minutes. Let me check that log as well and see what is there.

Edited by sea2sky

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

On 8/15/2022 at 10:40 AM, sea2sky said:

Similar issue here, but getting them more often (I guess due to a weaker hardware). They come up even when I have an active pause on and nothing is really happening in the mission. Most of the time I'm getting 9ms out of 11 (Reverb G2 90Hz), and then suddenly see a couple of them every N minutes. Let me check that log as well and see what is there.

My purple spikes are completely gone after I set up a dedicated server on another pc, and now it is amazingly performant.

Edited by sea2sky

You can also run a dedicated server on another core on the same system if you have the memory etc...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Exactly how beefy does the dedicated server machine need to be?  Guessing it doesn't need to load the graphical assets but would still need pretty good I/O, CPU speed and ram capacity?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

It's kinda better to do it on the local system IMO...  assuming you have enough memory.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

7 hours ago, edmuss said:

Exactly how beefy does the dedicated server machine need to be?  Guessing it doesn't need to load the graphical assets but would still need pretty good I/O, CPU speed and ram capacity?

Depends if you play alone or going to use it for a group. Mine is a really old 'office' pc: AMD FX 3.8GHz, 16Gb RAM, some old HDD, and a basic graphic card. But I'm just using it for my self, so far so good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sea2sky said:

Depends if you play alone or going to use it for a group. Mine is a really old 'office' pc: AMD FX 3.8GHz, 16Gb RAM, some old HDD, and a basic graphic card. But I'm just using it for my self, so far so good.

Like others have mentioned. Because of the single threadism of DCS, one can run it locally, and MS will schedule it to another core, or have it in a VM for potential portability. 

57 minutes ago, sea2sky said:

Ah so nothing too major needed if you have the ram available, would likely only use it for SP if it might make sufficient improvement.  We're due to upgrade our CAD workstations at work and there will be a couple of 4770ks with 32gb ram and SSDs going spare 🙂

47 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Like others have mentioned. Because of the single threadism of DCS, one can run it locally, and MS will schedule it to another core, or have it in a VM for potential portability. 

Presume it doesn't benefit so much if GPU bound?  I only have 32gb ram onboard so running another instance of DCS might chew up more than I want.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

58 minutes ago, edmuss said:

🙂

Presume it doesn't benefit so much if GPU bound?  I only have 32gb ram onboard so running another instance of DCS might chew up more than I want.

The server? GPU doesn't matter because it will not use it. That is one of the real benefits, and why you can run it in a VM. It should only run on one core. 

It's actually one thing i really wonder about. When DCS is going multicore, how many will the server version use. 😊

Or did you mean locally? Well, RAM could be a potential issue, but I don't think the server needs as much, because it doesn't do any graphics. It should only be calculating assets and such. 

I meant how does it help the performance in DCS on the local machin? I'm nearly always GPU bound so for the most part surely it wouldn't make significant improvement to FPS but lift some of the load when ai gets active?