NVME 2 vs SSD - quick comparison (no numbers unfortunately)

I've been running DCS on a Samsung 860 QVO for about 3 years now.

As my install is already 430GB (excluding the Saved games folder) and knowing that we have 2 new maps inbound at some point, seemed appropriate to update the storage within my PC.

So earlier today, I dropped in a NVME M2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB drive.

At this point my thanks to Flappie, for providing a solution to a quick install on a new drive, which saved a monster download session.

I was expecting no real differences.  Once I'd cleared the old FXO and Metashaders folders, and conducted the first map load, wow what a difference.

Stupid me, didn't time it, but I can happily say that it was SIGNIFICANTLY faster via the M2 drive to load.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

That's correct, the older Sata 3 drives are much slower 600 MB/sec (theorical) vs 3.5 GB/s 

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

M.2 SSD's on the motherboard go straight to the mobo chip. SATA SSDs have a bit longer trip to the mobo chip. I've got four storage devices in my current build, two 1TB M.2s, DCS, DCS OB, one one, IL2, IL2 BETA on the other. 500GB SSD with the OS & 350GB HDD Dump Truck. Whenever I build a new computer I always move over my Storage drives. 

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis