George not utilizing stabilization and consequently misses far too often

thatdanield

When I'm piloting, George is amazing at finding targets but always struggles a lot with tracking them, and seems to only care to correct his lasing every 5 seconds if the drift is slow, which leads to a lot of missed shots. He doesn't even try to use LMC to make it better. When I fly with a human CPG, or I CPG myself, the pilot might do some crazy stuff, including a barrel roll,  and general janky flying, but I can still easily land all my shots with LMC, or even without it entirely. 

As such, I ask: can George (at least when IAT rolls around) be buffed? It seems a bit harsh on pilots that he has the tracking capabilities of a toddler.

• Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Dangerzone:

Really? I find he's hopeless at moving targets as well. This latest update definitely has him missing more than previous though. 

i didnt get to do alot of flights in the latest update but i still remeber attacking that one airfield with all stationary units and george just missing by the slightest margin every time since he drifts the TADS around a bit too much even with the autopilot and everything in a nearly perfect hover, honestly there were 7 units left and i needed 15 hellfires to kill them..... (most of them AA so i couldnt just get closer), i was shooting from around 7.5 km or so

however on an other sortie i was just quickly engaging convois moving on a road and he managed to kill 5 units with 5 hellfires so  idk what to say....

to get back ontopic here tho, i dont get why he wont use LMC on stationary targets, it would give us as the pilot much more confidence to move while he is shooting something aswell, i hope he gets to use IAT once we get that, should help him with stationary aswell as moving targets

• Like 1

• ED Team
44 minutes ago, Mad_Shell said:

+1

During my last mission George needed 3 Hellfire to kill a non moving T-72 located 6 km away.... I was in forward level flight, as stable as you can be...

would like to see a track replay if possible. Can you also tell me if the tank was also head on? I have had situations where the hellfire has impacted on the barrel rather than the body of the tank. 

21 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

WIP AI is WIP. This is something ED has never done before, and AI is hard to get right. He's going to need a lot of tuning.

Correct Dragon1-1 W.I.P and getting tweaked as early access continues.

16 hours ago, thatdanield said:

When I'm piloting, George is amazing at finding targets but always struggles a lot with tracking them, and seems to only care to correct his lasing every 5 seconds if the drift is slow, which leads to a lot of missed shots. He doesn't even try to use LMC to make it better. When I fly with a human CPG, or I CPG myself, the pilot might do some crazy stuff, including a barrel roll,  and general janky flying, but I can still easily land all my shots with LMC, or even without it entirely. 

As such, I ask: can George (at least when IAT rolls around) be buffed? It seems a bit harsh on pilots that he has the tracking capabilities of a toddler.

If you are anyone else has short track replay examples we can take a look and compare with our internal build to see if tweaks are helping. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree misses moving targets even if stable with good lock and vis . Multiplayer . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 3 weeks later...

There are two types of "misses"; both are annoying in their own way.

Sometimes the laser is on the target the entire time, or at least for the last several seconds of guidance, but the missile still goes long/short, or falls behind a moving target.  This is annoying because you feel that you (and George) have done everything correctly, but some mysterious glitch in the core engine is preventing the missile from hitting the target.  Often times I will try a second shot, and the exact same miss occurs.  This happens to me when I am in the CPG seat, too, so I don't fault George for these.

Other times, George seems to wander off target and the missile ends up missing the target, but does hit where George happens to be lasing at the last moment.  He seems to do better at close range, where the target is so big that when he drifts slightly the laser still stays on the target, and then further out around 7km where there is enough time for the aircraft to settle again after the launch, and George can get the laser back on target before impact.

I'm sure we will see some improvements to both of these scenarios in the future.

On 1/18/2023 at 3:23 PM, Floyd1212 said:

There are two types of "misses"; both are annoying in their own way.

Sometimes the laser is on the target the entire time, or at least for the last several seconds of guidance, but the missile still goes long/short, or falls behind a moving target.  This is annoying because you feel that you (and George) have done everything correctly, but some mysterious glitch in the core engine is preventing the missile from hitting the target.  Often times I will try a second shot, and the exact same miss occurs.  This happens to me when I am in the CPG seat, too, so I don't fault George for these.

Other times, George seems to wander off target and the missile ends up missing the target, but does hit where George happens to be lasing at the last moment.  He seems to do better at close range, where the target is so big that when he drifts slightly the laser still stays on the target, and then further out around 7km where there is enough time for the aircraft to settle again after the launch, and George can get the laser back on target before impact.

I'm sure we will see some improvements to both of these scenarios in the future.

And there`s the third one - when you try shooting the gun and your heli aint stationary. George ain`t using LMC and the vector of your movement adds to the rounds he shoots (when he actually feels to - thats another problem). Only more or less reliable way to shoot things with gun via AI gunner - being in stable hover.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:13 AM, DevArchitect said:

Confirm - George misses both moving targets and stationary ones (Hellfires impact just behind 50% of the time when in Multiplayer). In Singleplayer George is much better. 

This is indeed the main problem in MP. Having to apply 3-4 Hellfires from 3 to 4 km to eventually hit that T-72 while having clear LOS and stable flight conditions is a rather frequent occasion. George doesn't seem to make use of the image tracker, but this isn't the cause. You can see the laser spot in perfect aim dead on target and the missile simply ignore's it and misses by 40 meters behind.

I could upload new tracks daily if ED's track file system wouldn't condem us to present huge files which are a pain to review.