IHADSS in VR is too close, too large. Pretty much unusable in VR. Has this been fixed?

gtsab

I see there are several threads on the topic of the IHADSS being too "zoomed in" when in VR.   It looks great in regular desktop mode, sits all right above George's head, but in VR it is too wide, making it really unusable.  I'm wondering if there is a fix yet for this, I didn't see anything but wondering if I missed something.  thanks

• Like 1

...met me rephrase a bit here...           So the issue that I have and I see other folks have been talking about is that in VR, there is a zone in the middle of your vision where you can see text clearly, and outside of that zone it can become very blurry.  So while the IHADSS might be "correct" and match what a real pilot sees, it doesn't really work well for VR.  I was wondering if someone had figured out a way to adjust where the symbology is placed, its spacing I guess, to move it towards the center so VR can see it clearly.  I suppose it would be an adjustment that maybe makes the display somewhat untrue to real life, but to accommodate VR better, I'd love to see the symbology closer into the center.

Fwiw; No issues here regarding readability (HP Reverb G1, IHADSS set to right eye only, IPD set to 67)

What HMD are you using?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

13 hours ago, gtsab said:

...met me rephrase a bit here...           So the issue that I have and I see other folks have been talking about is that in VR, there is a zone in the middle of your vision where you can see text clearly, and outside of that zone it can become very blurry.  So while the IHADSS might be "correct" and match what a real pilot sees, it doesn't really work well for VR.  I was wondering if someone had figured out a way to adjust where the symbology is placed, its spacing I guess, to move it towards the center so VR can see it clearly.  I suppose it would be an adjustment that maybe makes the display somewhat untrue to real life, but to accommodate VR better, I'd love to see the symbology closer into the center.

This does sound like it's related to your HMD.

Reverb G2 here, no problems at all to read the complete IHADSS.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gtsab said:

I have a Vive Pro and I am not seeing a problem with the size of the display, it seems perfect to my eye. I have it set to right eye only.

I do find that the monocle surround is too zoomed out, the IHADSS display doses not fit in the confines of the glass reflector, so I have that turned off.

I think you have the same issue than we have in the threat about the IHADSS been too high.

As it is too high, the upper heading tape is waaaay off the sweet spot.  Check that threat and compare what is said there with your issue 

I am begining to believe that there are two Apaches out there, because some people have problems like this or the saturarion of the COLL channel(providing all kind of proofs, so it is a thing) and others not. ^_^

Let's cross fingers and hope ED hear our prayers and give us the long waited possibility to set the Y axis displacement for the IHADDS

Edited by daemon1808

Am 24.8.2022 um 13:40 schrieb Thunderchief2000:

I do find that the monocle surround is too zoomed out, the IHADSS display doses not fit in the confines of the glass reflector, so I have that turned off.

I have the Vive Pro2 and it‘s the same for me….wasn‘t able to find a working adjustment. This issue was also reported already I believe.

Headsets of other manufactorers don‘t have this problem it seems……..so maybe it‘s a HTC think?

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

23 hours ago, corbu1 said:

I have the Vive Pro2 and it‘s the same for me….wasn‘t able to find a working adjustment. This issue was also reported already I believe.

Headsets of other manufactorers don‘t have this problem it seems……..so maybe it‘s a HTC think?

Yeah it looks that way. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to be able to use the monocle overlay.

vor 34 Minuten schrieb Fleshpiston:

I have a vive pro 2 and have no issues as described here.

This is interesting…..may you share your settings?

I have tried different IPD settings…..but I guess this was not the issue, my IPD is actually 45.

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Fleshpiston:

Sorry for the late reply. See screens attached.

20220831_084256.jpg

20220831_084231.jpg

20220831_084449.jpg

@Fleshpiston thank you!!!

I don‘t see much differences to my settings.

In options I have shadows different and no lens effect.

Pixeldensity is 1.0 and IPD is 45 on my end.

I have already tried different IPD values and this didn‘t have an effect.

I‘ll try again…..

Thanks again👍👍👍

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704

Just a thought...some renderers like the vrperfkit reduce the resolution at the periphery, that might cause the bluriness and explain why some users experience the bluriness whilst others don't. If this applies here, try to reduce or disable the foveated rendering.

Am 31.8.2022 um 20:25 schrieb Chunk:

For "Force IPD Distance" to work, that box has to be ticked in addition to putting a value in there.

Yes, well observed….the box should be ticked, otherwise I‘m not sure if jour desired value is displayed correct in the sim…..

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem that's related to this. I have a hard time focussing on it for a long period of time. Usually I can fly fine with it for a while but at some point I can't focus on it anymore. Meaning I can see everything inside the helo and the area outside just fine, only the IHADS get's blury. For this problem being able to adjust the position of the IHADS would be nice as well. Even if it's unrealistic it would be good for accesability. I think being able to position it a little bit further away from the eye would solve the problem for me. It's similar in the Hornet as well.

I even went to the optician because of this and have glasses now for the first time ever because of this. Didn't notice I didn't have perfect vision before 🤣

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 2:01 AM, gtsab said:

I see there are several threads on the topic of the IHADSS being too "zoomed in" when in VR.   It looks great in regular desktop mode, sits all right above George's head, but in VR it is too wide, making it really unusable.  I'm wondering if there is a fix yet for this, I didn't see anything but wondering if I missed something.  thanks

I think this phenomenon is very subjective. Can you maybe show a picture, so everybody talks about the same visual "picture"?

• 3 months later...

I am using a Vive Pro ( 1 ) and seeing a very large IHADSS image, picture doesn’t show the size as in headset.

looking at the image on the screen it looks ok but through the headset it imposes over the helicopter and larger then the monocle.

Any news needed settings or work arounds.

Edited by Rubber Biscuit

vor 18 Minuten schrieb Rubber Biscuit:

I am using a Vive Pro ( 1 ) and seeing a very large IHADSS image, picture doesn’t show the size as in headset.

looking at the image on the screen it looks ok but through the headset it imposes over the helicopter and larger then the monocle.

Any news needed settings or work arounds.

I‘m using a Vive Pro 2 and I get similar IHADSS image in VR.

You can adjust position and Size of the image to better fit in the monocle.

Look in AH64D controls settings for DAP section. Maybe that helps.

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704

On 1/6/2023 at 3:16 PM, corbu1 said:

I‘m using a Vive Pro 2 and I get similar IHADSS image in VR.

You can adjust position and Size of the image to better fit in the monocle.

Look in AH64D controls settings for DAP section. Maybe that helps.

I checked out your suggestion of DAP settings and it will decrease the size but only by a few percent.

Still the image overlays a lot of the cockpit area.

I guess this is a VR issue where the image is too close to the users point of view.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Rubber Biscuit:

I checked out your suggestion of DAP settings and it will decrease the size but only by a few percent.

Still the image overlays a lot of the cockpit area.

I guess this is a VR issue where the image is too close to the users point of view.

Yes, true. You can adjust to better fit but only to a certain level.

I guess there’s an issue as well, but not sure where’s the issue related. It seems there are Headsets which work well, others don’t.

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704