Wall of text, yes or no?

SorelRo

Hi guys, 

My next campaign happens in the UH-1. Since there's at least 4 people in the crew there's a lot of chatter in the cockpit, some of it is mission specific and some of it more narrative. Adding subtitles will create some big walls of text that are not easy to deal with especially in VR. 

I'm leaning on just adding the mission specific data in each voiceover headings, radio frequencies, other hints for the missions and leave the narrative just as sound. This way with the message history feature you could still go back and make sure you know what needs to be done. 

Please give me your input as I'd like to hear anyone's opinion. 

Cheers,  

• Like 1

Important information that gets lost in the clutter is never good, so I would vote for less text if its not crucial to the mission. 

Lately I've been turning off text anyway. I use Taz1004's "non-pause" mod and VoiceAttack to bring up the "Message History" if I miss something important. I can scroll through it while I still fly. 😊 

• Like 1

Personally, I like the text (admittedly, I don't play in VR), but if even you (SorelRo) are concerned about it, then maybe not all of the messages should have subtitles!

I would recommend some sort of text when the narrative text starts, though--perhaps the first line of narration should have subtitles followed by (CONTINUED BY AUDIO ONLY) or something like that. I have somewhat limited DCS time, so I often use time compression, and I don't want to miss any of the dialogue while I'm turning off the time compression.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FMBluecher said:

Personally, I like the text (admittedly, I don't play in VR), but if even you (SorelRo) are concerned about it, then maybe not all of the messages should have subtitles!

I would recommend some sort of text when the narrative text starts, though--perhaps the first line of narration should have subtitles followed by (CONTINUED BY AUDIO ONLY) or something like that. I have somewhat limited DCS time, so I often use time compression, and I don't want to miss any of the dialogue while I'm turning off the time compression.

Good idea, thanks

• Like 1

Small Time single player with just a few missions for the Huey made. I have had a few downloads and just a few request to put text in the mission and I have not done that because I fly in VR and I am small time and I never even thought it would be a problem (for me or English speaking people) as a small time low download mission maker. I understand other people all around the world enjoy this Sim. I just don't think I need to add the text all the time. I like my VR with little to no text. Could the Kneeboard be used to add text pages to open and close for this when needed? Well what do I know, like I said I am a small time single player mission maker in VR and do not care for text on the screen. I make my missions for myself first then post them if anyone finds value I'm happy with that. It is okay not to like my work or how I do it. You have a very good question about text. Hope you find a Answer to it.