Strafing is safe now :)

oldcrusty

Would this be related to the pipper always drifting to the right as you get closer to the target? I could never hit anything with the Hornet's gun because of that drift, and no amount of left rudder would put the pipper on the target (probably intended due to FBW).

20 hours ago, Nealius said:

Would this be related to the pipper always drifting to the right as you get closer to the target? I could never hit anything with the Hornet's gun because of that drift, and no amount of left rudder would put the pipper on the target (probably intended due to FBW).

I just tried strafing in 20kt crosswind.  It is a bit tricky but like 'almost' anything else in DCS, can be done with developing your own ways and procedures...

1 hour ago, amalahama said:

Shouldn't the pipper be wind-corrected? It doesn't look like so in oldcrusty video 

It should be, as long as we get correct Wind speed and direction data (HSI -> DATA ->A/C). It should be given based on a database generated pre-mission or entered manually by the pilot. In DCS, we can manually enter values, but AFAIK they do not affect the CCIP pipper.

Since we're on the subject, the pipper should also be motion-corrected if you're tracking a moving target with the radar. The radar can provide lead calculation. Not implemented yet.

• Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The jet knows your ground track and velocities. It shows the velocity vector (or ghost) correctly... I think.

Also, we already have wind corrected CCIP for dumb bombs. I just tried it in the same mission as in my vid, using 2 Mk83's. They hit 5 meters to the downwind side and dead on along the flight path vector. Pulverized the target. So... I think ED can fix the gun CCIP probably... on the next patch? :bounce:

Edited by oldcrusty