DCS Newsletter discussion August 26th 2022 - DCS Top end Australia | Open beta updates | Enigma server

BIGNEWY

Honestly, I'm just disappointed that valuable resources are wasted on this map right now. To me this map makes currently no sense whatsoever in DCS. Considering DCS being a combat simulator and the available (and upcoming) modules. Like mentioned above, so many modules from the Vietnam War are already there and several others will be available soon. It's like a no-brainer. Or do Taiwan. So many more interesting theaters... I'm sorry but that's just the way I see it.

Fingers crossed for the team, but this is a very strange decision, also from the business point of view and potential sales.

Edited by Jascha
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Don't get me wrong, NTTR is the best performing map out there. Super smooth frame rate. A must have if you wish to be a Top Gun. The thing is, I really do not see the point of having this map, or may be it is just me...

it's really to each his own. Some might like it because it's "home" and familiar, and lends a particular flavour to the flying, and others might not like it for exactly those same reasons.

As a yuuuuge map slut, I'll take any map of anywhere. Gimme a map of a filthy McDonald's bathroom - I'll fly it. :smoke:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

As already mentioned, if this covers some of the islands to the north, Coral sea is a maybe.  If the new aircraft is Japanese, it also facilitates Japanese attacks against Darwin.

• Like 3

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

5 minutes ago, Jascha said:

Honestly, I'm just disappointed that valuable resources are wasted on this map right now. This map makes no sense whatsoever to me in DCS right now. Considering DCS being a combat simulator and the available modules. Like mentioned above, so many modules from the Vietnam War are already there and several others will be available soon. It's like a no-brainer. Or do Taiwan. So many more interesting theaters... I'm sorry but that's just the way I see it.

Valuable rosources of a 3rd party building on a active war zone with a large temporal sceneries from WW2 to today?. (WW2 combat, Indonesian Independence, Tymor East, Chinesse Crysis, etc).

If someone like build your dream maps, modules and assets packs, start to get people team, make your investigation, talk with ED to get the 3rd party status, start to learn the SKD / TDK, and build them... but I find it funny that there is an obligation for a 3rd party to do what someone wants.

• Like 6

Can't wait for the Western Mongolia map...... 🧐

Mad Season 12 GIF by The Bachelorette

Seriously, while it's great that so many 3rd party developers are coming to DCS, maybe making more, let's say "applicable" maps would be even greater.

If the Australian map would at least include Timor/ Indonesia (as someone posted previously) for near-present conflicts, or New Guinea & Solomons, where the WWII people would have something useful to play with(of course there'd also need to be Australian, early US Navy/Marines and IJN/IJA assets).

I mean, there is already a very pretty civilian flight sim out there, that has the sightseeing department pretty much covered, and IMO it's prettier than any competitor. Personally, I come to DCS for the combat emphasis, and maps where real-world conflict was actually a thing, especially given the timeframe all DCS modules cover, would be preferable. Like, Iraq, Vietnam, Central Europe, India/Pakistan, Central America, parts of Africa....

I don't see northern Australia as a viable conflict zone. Maybe in 50 years, but there certainly won't be any legacy Hornets and Vipers around. 

Just my 2 Cents. And just to clarify, I am not against new maps - including those I have no interest in - and I wish the dev all the profit in the world, but I also wish they would release more geostrategically significant (= viable 60's to 90's, or WWII conflict potential) maps.

Edited by Jayhawk1971
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Valuable rosources of a 3rd party building on a active war zone with a large temporal sceneries from WW2 to today?. (WW2 combat, Indonesian Independence, Tymor East, Chinesse Crysis, etc).

The revealed map area does not cover the things you've mentioned. You've posted in the roadmap thread yourself so you should know better.

If someone like build your dream maps, modules and assets packs, start to get people team, make your investigation, talk with ED to get the 3rd party status, start to learn the SKD / TDK, and build them... but I find it funny that there is an obligation for a 3rd party to do what someone wants.

No obligation, just my opinion. Am I allowed to share it even if it's different than yours? Or should we all just smile and clap?

Edited by Jascha
  • Like 2

No hint at any appropriate stuff for ww2. If the map was ww2 era and covered the islands north and north east of Australia, then yes it would be a fantastic map for WW2. But from the info we got. This is a map about northern Australia in modern Time.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

3 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Ahh, I don't see the point of having N. Australia, even less than NTTR...

NTTR has got a point...

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

1 minute ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

NTTR could be a fantastic map if it would include Fallon, Edwards, China Lake, and Fort Irwin (NTC). Maybe a little texture overhaul.

NTTR has centred on NTTR zone, and the USAF main training zone, no all Arizona and California state with UsNavy and UsArmy zones... all outside of the NTTR proposal.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Silver_Dragon:

NTTR has centred on NTTR zone, and the USAF main training zone, no all Arizona and California state with UsNavy and UsArmy zones... all outside of the NTTR proposal.

See, I know that.

That was not at all my point.

This was my point: NTTR could be a fantastic map if it would include Fallon, Edwards, China Lake, and Fort Irwin (NTC). As it stands, it's currently a mostly abandoned map.

If it weren't for Zone 5 and the F-16 Red Flag campaign, I wouldn't own it.

• Like 4

Frankly, I have no problem with NTTR, okay? 😄 

Nobody can force you to buy anything. This one has no appeal to me unlike the previous 2 announcements. It is just me, if anybody has interest, it is great.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

See, I know that.

That was not at all my point.

This was my point: NTTR could be a fantastic map if it would include Fallon, Edwards, China Lake, and Fort Irwin (NTC). As it stands, it's currently a mostly abandoned map.

If it weren't for Zone 5 and the F-16 Red Flag campaign, I wouldn't own it.

The map is not abandoned, it is feature complete, there was no suggestion that it would ever be expanded.

• Like 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

vor 13 Minuten schrieb NineLine:

The map is not abandoned, it is feature complete, there was no suggestion that it would ever be expanded.

I meant "abandoned" by the user base, not ED. Not a lot of content for this map, which is a shame IMO. 

As I said, it could be a fantastic map if it were to be extended (doesn't have to be for free: do it like the A-10II or Black Shark 2 models).

Zitat

there was no suggestion that it would ever be expanded.

And I never claimed there was. I was merely suggesting what IMO would be an easy win for ED for comparatively small effort.

Edit: Just thinking about the possibilities makes me dizzy:

NTC for the Apache, Combined Arms, could even fit the A-10 in I suppose. 

NAS Fallon: Tomcat, Hornet, F-5, A-4 mod. No brainer.

Edwards: Could open some interesting possibilities for 3rd party developers who would like to recreate experimental aircraft from the 50's and 60's. Yeager, Hoover, Ridley anyone? 🙂 

OK, enough thread derailment. 🤐

Edited by Jayhawk1971
  • Like 5