DCS Newsletter discussion August 26th 2022 - DCS Top end Australia | Open beta updates | Enigma server

BIGNEWY

8 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

And I never claimed there was. I was merely suggesting what IMO would be an easy win for ED for comparatively small effort.

That's not a given. I've seen many users praise NTTR for small disc size and high FPS. I love big maps, but it seems the current NTTR has its niche, and to be fair it's a pretty complete map. The one solid point against it is a lack of place for carrier, in my opinion.

DCS's map list is expanding significantly. We're at the point where we don't have to try to please everyone with every map. That's a good thing, and I think it needs to be kept in mind moving forward.

• Like 6

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Three new maps, all of which as per usual are extremely heavily defended by complex SAM networks and dozens of air bases... Yet we still have nothing for the most war ravaged continent on Earth...?

When tf are we going to get somewhere in sub-Saharan Africa!? You literally can't realistically populate any of our current map choices without destroying your frame rate. Are we ever going to get somewhere that's not bristling with air defenses and huge frame destroying cities? We need something that lends itself to small insurgencies and PMC deployments. Not another world war!

ie: Somewhere like Sierra Leone, Angola, Kenya or the Congo. It just makes so much sense, especially considering the modules we now have. 

There is like a decades worth of threads calling for an African theatre, yet they have all gone unnoticed by ED and the rest of the dev community. Literally, not so much as a comment... (Yes, I've read them all) And if that is going to continue to be the case, I'm just going to boycott ever new map until we get something actually freezable for the current years hardware.

And before you tell me its not about what I want, actually, yes it is. I'm the customer, and one of the most loyal ones at that. I've been handing over my hard earned dosh to ED since their first year in business (yes, I'm old af) and have bought virtually every product they have ever released. And not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm honestly I'm starting to get tired of being ignored...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another huge map that's mostly desert. I suppose it makes sense given the current performance limits, but I'm probably not going to be all that interested. Unless there's a quality campaign that makes use of it, that is.

NTTR is good for what it does, with Iron Flag, Zone V, the upcoming Speed and Angels campaign, and numerous Red Flags, it's got plenty of content well suited for it. Small size helps, too. Australia? If we get an F-111, or any aircraft that the Aussies actually flew, I'll be interested. AFAIK, of aircraft of interest to DCS they had the Sabrejet (Canadian version, not the one we have), Mirage IIIO, F-4E, F-18A, the Superbug, F-111, and now they fly the F-35. So, basically, it'll be a map for the F-4E and, assuming the variant RAZBAM is making is not too far off the O, Mirage III.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, H0RN9T_ said:

Iraq, Afganistan, Balkans, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam  ... cmon guys !!!

I would speculate that some of the more highly anticipated theatres have already been earmarked by ED (or other more established partners) and are perhaps currently in development.  We already know about Afghanistan.  Vietnam has been often hinted at.  It wouldn't surprise me if there are others.

Edited by Lace
  • Like 2

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Given some areas mentioned are marked as "political sensitive", I strong doubt those would be made "in reasonable period of time".

One YouTuber already claims that we are "trashing" this map, and this map would great for hypothetical scenario. I say, first, people are having Caucasus to pretend to be Vietnam for years, and if this one is good then so be it, but I would put my £££ elsewhere for what this is, for now.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Australia is an interesting choice.

It only offers two military airbases, and two internationals; and of the two military bases, one of them only offers about 7  parking spaces.

This spells out how this map will absolutely not be used for multiplayer servers due to lack of parking support.

Parking/spawning locations.... is going to be what makes a map conduce a lack of sales. That's a weird thing to think about... but here we are.

RAAF Curtin and RAAF Katherine.

unknown.pngunknown.png

Here is an image of the actual airspace; it's quite desolate.

unknown.png

Was excited for this map, but I might have to skip out because I don't play singleplayer... And this map is far too small support wise for even my small community of under 10 people...

Additional Correction; Darwin Intl is a split military airfield as well:

unknown.png

Edited by XCNuse
  • Like 1

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Exorcet:

That's not a given. I've seen many users praise NTTR for small disc size and high FPS. I love big maps, but it seems the current NTTR has its niche, and to be fair it's a pretty complete map. The one solid point against it is a lack of place for carrier, in my opinion.

DCS's map list is expanding significantly. We're at the point where we don't have to try to please everyone with every map. That's a good thing, and I think it needs to be kept in mind moving forward.

That's why I suggested ED could do it like with Black Shark or A-10C II. Copy/ paste the core and enhance it while leaving the "legacy" version as an alternative. So those who are content with the present NTTR wouldn't have an upgrade forced on them, and ED would get some additional revenue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, X-31_VECTOR said:

I get the sense that if a third-party developer can meet the technical and quality requirements, they can create a map of just about anywhere in the world as far as ED is concerned. That's not a bad thing of course, assuming it does not tax ED resources, as in the end the DCS community will vote with its wallets. If someone wants to make a West Virginia/Kentucky map to recreate the war of the Hatfields and the McCoys, I guess we'll have the option to buy one.

I wonder to what extent the success of the South Atlantic map is driving third party developers to take more leaps of faith on passion projects. I was very dubious of that one when it was announced, but it wound up being a day one purchase for me. 

75321e4f2c4d4b60bdf49a21e5100baf3d1de9c5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I gotta admit, this announcement was a head-scratcher. With the number of Vietnam War and other Cold War-era aircraft coming, it seems incomprehensible that a Vietnam map isn't in development.

Do you Hornet guys anticipate buying this map? So far its the first one that I have no interest in whatsoever. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

Australia is an interesting choice.

It only offers two military airbases, and two internationals; and of the two military bases, one of them only offers about 7  parking spaces.

This spells out how this map will absolutely not be used for multiplayer servers due to lack of parking support.

Parking/spawning locations.... is going to be what makes a map conduce a lack of sales. That's a weird thing to think about... but here we are.

RAAF Curtin and RAAF Katherine.

unknown.pngunknown.png

Here is an image of the actual airspace; it's quite desolate.

unknown.png

Was excited for this map, but I might have to skip out because I don't play singleplayer... And this map is far too small support wise for even my small community of under 10 people...

There is room for carriers, so we're not limited to just the airbases. Although I do think you bring up a good point. Traditionally map makers have stuck to only existing parking spots for airbases. I think the option to add additional spots would be quite nice, not only for the space but also to facilitate specific mission like interceptors on alert. The AI as it is now is always going to take its time taxiing. Parking space directly adjacent to the runway would be nice to allow AI to get in the air in a timely manner when defending a base.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

1 hour ago, NineLine said:

The map is not abandoned, it is feature complete, there was no suggestion that it would ever be expanded.

Yes taxi lines still seem to float in the air.

VR, i9, Winwing, TM and VKB.

2, 4, ban, ban, 2

Moon, afaik, does not provide a thick enough atmosphere to support winged flights. OTOH, Mars does.

IMHO, there have been too many dust bowls and snowy mountains, I think we need more forests and cities.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• ED Team

Dear all,

We hear your concerns, and I’ll try to help explain.

Check Six Simulations is an Australian group of DCS enthusiasts that want nothing more than an Australia map in DCS to fly over. Because Check Six Simulations is a first-time map developer, this map is an ideal choice to learn the Terrain Development Kit (TDK) and the quite complex process of creating a map. As with any 3rd party that has first demonstrated to us the required skillset, we will not forbid them from creating a map of their dreams if it does not conflict with existing map plans. Creating this map in no way impacts the creation of other maps. Will this map be your cup of tea? Perhaps not, but it may be for some and will not impact your enjoyment of DCS.

Eagle Dynamics wishes the Check Six Simulations every success.

Kind regards,
Wags

• Like 30
  • Thanks 8

Alright, if this is the case, I would rather have Sydney and Canberra.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

I start to think, we can't see the wood for the trees. Some rounded incoming? I think.

I believe you're right! 

This past five weeks:

Friday July 29th, Kola

Friday August 5th, Kfir

Friday August 12th, Sinai

Friday August 19th, Super Sabre

Friday August 26th, Northern Australia 

So it seems, every two weeks we'll get a module announced, and every two weeks we get a map announced. 

So what module will be announced next Friday do you guys think, and what map in two weeks? 🤔 😉 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

If I had such a team an our dream was to do Vietnam, would you allow us? 😉

To become a 3rd party builder, you have to prove that you know how to make maps before get the TDK... and building the map of Vietnam or another large-scale conflict can be a risk if it is done poorly as the first map.

Would a 3rd party like to see themselves with torches and pitchforks for rushing? the same community can demand "where is my assets pack from vietnam war".

• Like 1

I'm only buying the N Aus map if it comes with Salties... We really need an incentive to aim our flaming fireball towards the not wet.

• Like 2

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

1 minute ago, Silver_Dragon said:

To become a 3rd party builder, you have to prove that you know how to make maps before get the TDK... and building the map of Vietnam or another large-scale conflict can be a risk if it is done poorly as the first map.

Would a 3rd party like to see themselves with torches and pitchforks for rushing? the same community can demand "where is my assets pack from vietnam war".

Thank you for clarifying. My post aimed a little bit at the part of wags' post with the "conflict with existing map plans" though, and every other answer than a "yes, of course" gives me enough hope. So thank you again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

Thank you for clarifying. My post aimed a little bit at the part of wags' post with the "conflict with existing map plans" though, and every other answer than a "yes, of course" gives me enough hope. So thank you again.

"conflict with existing map plans" can be ED or other 3rd party will building them as modules. The problem actually, we dont know that "future plans".

Edited by Silver_Dragon