DCS Newsletter discussion August 26th 2022 - DCS Top end Australia | Open beta updates | Enigma server

BIGNEWY

53 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

I believe you're right! 

This past five weeks:

Friday July 29th, Kola

Friday August 5th, Kfir

Friday August 12th, Sinai

Friday August 19th, Super Sabre

Friday August 26th, Northern Australia 

So it seems, every two weeks we'll get a module announced, and every two weeks we get a map announced. 

So what module will be announced next Friday do you guys think, and what map in two weeks? 🤔 😉 

It will be: DCS: Su-22M4 and DCS:Korea

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

1 minute ago, Gierasimov said:

It will be: DCS: Su-22M4 and DCS:Korea

If this is the case, my Day-1 list would be, in no particular order:

MB-339, F-15E, Kola, Sinai, Eurofighter, Kiowa, Afghanistan, F-8(?)/A-7, Korea

I will need a 2TB drive for DCS alone.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

4 minutes ago, okopanja said:

I hope ED will note that server urgently needs feature to download only selected maps, before any new map...

In steam you can choose which maps(or any DLC) you want installed. And it will remember it. So if you uninstall and reinstall.  It only installs the DLC you had selected. 

I just got a 2tb M2 for DCS,before that I was on a 500gb one it shared with Windows. And I had to juggle which maps I had installed. 

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

2 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

In steam you can choose which maps(or any DLC) you want installed. And it will remember it. So if you uninstall and reinstall.  It only installs the DLC you had selected. 

I just got a 2tb M2 for DCS,before that I was on a 500gb one it shared with Windows. And I had to juggle which maps I had installed. 

Do we talk about DCS server?

• Like 2

Yeah, Vietnam should wait for Vulcan as far as I'm concerned. As you rightfully mentioned, it was a high intensity conflict. Trying to accurately replicate it is just impossible as things stand. We need areas of low intensity conflict right now.

Papua New Guinea would have been a far better option than Australia if you ask me. And Australians have done a lot more fighting there than on their own north coast. But if that's what they want to do, that's fine by me. But I will be voting with my wallet this time around.

It genuinely annoys me having to fly over areas that are heavily defended in reality, but are dead in game out of necessity. You'd think we'd have at least one terrain by now that isn't in a highly militarized area. And then to hear the announcement of three new theatres that all follow the current trend is just disconcerting and I feel like we're not being heard... 

I mean it would be nice to actually be able to go do a sortie in one of our numerous light fighters without being immediately obliterated by an SA-10 or spamram. And aircraft like the F-5 and MiG-21 are still relevant front line fighters in Africa to this day. Mainly because Africa is not peppered with countless air defenses like the rest of the planet. 

But if the devs want to shoot themselves in the foot because they want to do what they want and not what is needed, then they can suffer with low sales... Because if we have to continue to play "pretend", then we have enough terrains to do that already. And that's besides the fact my install is already 500+ gigs and I don't have space to be squandering on more maps I can't even run a realistic scenario with...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ozone1 said:

Yeah, Vietnam should wait for Vulcan as far as I'm concerned. As you rightfully mentioned, it was a high intensity conflict. Trying to accurately replicate it is just impossible as things stand. We need areas of low intensity conflict right now.

Papua New Guinea would have been a far better option than Australia if you ask me. And Australians have done a lot more fighting there than on their own north coast. But if that's what they want to do, that's fine by me. But I will be voting with my wallet this time around.

It genuinely annoys me having to fly over areas that are heavily defended in reality, but are dead in game out of necessity. You'd think we'd have at least one terrain by now that isn't in a highly militarized area. And then to hear the announcement of three new theatres that all follow the current trend is just disconcerting and I feel like we're not being heard... 

I mean it would be nice to actually be able to go do a sortie in one of our numerous light fighters without being immediately obliterated by an SA-10 or spamram. And aircraft like the F-5 and MiG-21 are still relevant front line fighters in Africa to this day. Mainly because Africa is not peppered with countless air defenses like the rest of the planet. 

But if the devs want to shoot themselves in the foot because they want to do what they want and not what is needed, then they can suffer with low sales... Because if we have to continue to play "pretend", then we have enough terrains to do that already. And that's besides the fact my install is already 500+ gigs and I don't have space to be squandering on more maps I can't even run a realistic scenario with...

Norway had more or less zero air defence from mid 2000s until very recently. So play the upcoming Kola map as red force and you can bomb Norwegian towns and cities with impunity.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 minute ago, Gunfreak said:

Norway had more or less zero air defence from mid 2000s until very recently. So play the upcoming Kola map as red force and you can bomb Norwegian towns and cities with impunity.

If a war actually broke out in Norway, it would be mayhem. And I highly doubt there are going to be small sale insurgencies happening there anytime soon... 

• Like 2

For me, every new map is a big value for DCS and the most interesting news of today‘s newsletter is the fact that there are enthusiasts who make a new map and the we have a new 3rd party joining DCS. So please let us give them a chance and let us be surprised what these guys will be able to offer us. 

• Like 13

I'm confused that NTTR and the Red Flag campaigns that take place on that map receive praise, yet people are seeming to write this terrain off as useless/pointless. While the area (bar Darwin) doesn't have much in the way of historical significance, it has contemporary significance. This area is essentially Australia's NTTR. This whole area sees small and large scale exercises with international allies that is basically the region's Exercise Red Flag: it's called Exercise Pitch Black.

This year Australia is hosting (Pitch Black is currently underway):

French Rafales, CASA 235s and MRTTs,
German Typhoons, MRTTs and A400M Atlas,
Indian Su-30MKIs,
Indonesian F-16As,
Japanese F-2s,
South Korean KF-16Us and MRTTs,
Singaporean F-15SG, F-16s and MRTTs,
UK Typhoons and MRTTs, and
US F-15Cs and F-35Bs

In addition to Australia's own F-35As, EA-18Gs, E-7A and KC-30A MRTTs (interestingly, the F/A-18Fs did not participate according to the release I was reading).

Other countries also send personnel in supporting roles: Canada, New Zealand, Thailand, the UAE, Malaysia and The Netherlands are all listed as participating (but not sending aircraft).

That is not an insignificant collection of aircraft or international participation and this could all be replicated within DCS (with placeholders for aircraft we don't yet have in DCS, obviously).

While it may not offer the suggestion of a fictional war between Indonesia and Australia (flight time to Indonesian territory is about the same distance as Falklands to Argentina - maybe slightly longer), the map has plenty of potential for other scenarios.

It's not what I had expected, given the aircraft coming and/or being developed but I'm still looking forward to it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, cailean_556 said:

I'm confused that NTTR and the Red Flag campaigns that take place on that map receive praise, yet people are seeming to write this terrain off as useless/pointless. While the area (bar Darwin) doesn't have much in the way of historical significance, it has contemporary significance. This area is essentially Australia's NTTR. This whole area sees small and large scale exercises with international allies that is basically the region's Exercise Red Flag: it's called Exercise Pitch Black.

This year Australia is hosting (Pitch Black is currently underway):

French Rafales, CASA 235s and MRTTs,
German Typhoons, MRTTs and A400M Atlas,
Indian Su-30MKIs,
Indonesian F-16As,
Japanese F-2s,
South Korean KF-16Us and MRTTs,
Singaporean F-15SG, F-16s and MRTTs,
UK Typhoons and MRTTs, and
US F-15Cs and F-35Bs

In addition to Australia's own F-35As, EA-18Gs, E-7A and KC-30A MRTTs (interestingly, the F/A-18Fs did not participate according to the release I was reading).

Other countries also send personnel in supporting roles: Canada, New Zealand, Thailand, the UAE, Malaysia and The Netherlands are all listed as participating (but not sending aircraft).

That is not an insignificant collection of aircraft or international participation and this could all be replicated within DCS (with placeholders for aircraft we don't yet have in DCS, obviously).

While it may not offer the suggestion of a fictional war between Indonesia and Australia (flight time to Indonesian territory is about the same distance as Falklands to Argentina - maybe slightly longer), the map has plenty of potential for other scenarios.

It's not what I had expected, given the aircraft coming and/or being developed but I'm still looking forward to it.

That have on the Newsletter....

DCS: Top End Australia

Introduction

The Top End Australia map covers 1,400 × 800km's of Australia's mainland including the Western and the Northern Territories. With a mixture of civilian and military airfields, aviators will experience a map that includes a rich red outback landscape complemented by the lakes and rivers, floodplains, coastline, and city centre of Darwin.

Infrastructure for major landmarks have been carefully detailed to provide the highest fidelity and includes Mindil Beach, Darwin, Broome, Tindal, Curtin, and the Delamere Weapons Range. The Top End Australia Map will give DCS players a unique experience to hone their skills across air, land, and sea domains allowing simulations of real-world exercises such as Pitch Black. Check out the Development Screenshots and stay tuned for future news as we look towards a report on their progress soon.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Minsky said:

I truly wish the team all the best with their debut, but this is how I see this map:

Screenshot - Sat 27 Aug 22 , 01_16_07.png

While it would certainly add some interesting scenarios, the fact of the matter is that the reason people are dismissing this terrain as is, is the same reason your "makes sense" doesn't make sense: nothing of any aerial warfare significance has taken place in that area - at least not since World War 2. Helicopter ops, with the Blackhawk mod, or the UH-1 and Mi-8 - sure.   Plus the area in green includes training areas used by the RAAF in modern times, the red box does not include all of it. If they could add that 300km in map "height" it could certainly bring even more potential but Timor-Leste and the UN intervention didn't see any aerial confrontations or use of fast air.

6 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

That have on the Newsletter....

I know, I just provided more context than saying "Pitch Black happens here".

Edited by cailean_556
  • Like 4

I'm excited for this map, we have a huge contingent of Australians flying with the Kiwis at TFK so for us it would be really cool. For those that cant envision usable scenarios for this map I would put that down to a lack of imagination, same with the NTTR map. I build a new MP mission for 20~ pilots every week and I can think up a bazillion mission ideas on this map. Looking forward to it! Will need Kangaroos to go with the cows though to put in the LSO position 😁

• Like 3

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Silver_Dragon:

3rd party building on a active war zone with a large temporal sceneries from WW2 to today?. (WW2 combat, Indonesian Independence, Tymor East, Chinesse Crysis, etc).

Did I really miss Indonesia, Tymor, China or anything else than Australia in the picture for the planned area?

Because, if it really is "just" what we can see on that picture, I have to agree with the prevalent feedback... 

image.png

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Woody01:

I build a new MP mission for 20~ pilots every week and I can think up a bazillion mission ideas on this map. Looking forward to it! Will need Kangaroos to go with the cows though to put in the LSO position 😁

That's not the problem. I do this with all maps, other than the Syria map... But I would love(!) to recreate real world missions that actually happened and happened in the last 30 years.

• Like 3

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb H0RN9T_:

Iraq, Afganistan, Balkans, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam  ... cmon guys !!!

Yep, this exactly, basically and in that particular order.

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

4 hours ago, NineLine said:

The map is not abandoned, it is feature complete, there was no suggestion that it would ever be expanded.

But if you could show it some love we'd say nice things about you. 😉

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Ozone1 said:

You have made your point, good enough. You can speak for yourself and let that team do what they plan to do. Wags made it pretty clear the reasoning I dont see why we need to harp on it any more. Thanks.

• Like 8

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Hi All,

wow.  I think its a great Idea for a map. Like the Falklands map, the islands offer many options for mission builders. As does the coast areas ,it could be New Britain, or Bougainville, or Lea or Rabaul, or Wewac areas. for a Pacific Theater along with the Marianas map it seems a good start. just a Japanese infantry trooper would help.

• Like 2

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am not sure if i am buying one to pretend the locations mentioned above. I am not likely to buy it for what it is shown. It is just me, again, and I wish the team very success.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

50 minutes ago, NineLine said:

You have made your point, good enough. You can speak for yourself and let that team do what they plan to do. Wags made it pretty clear the reasoning I dont see why we need to harp on it any more. Thanks.

You know NineLine, I'm not the only one that has noticed you have a tendency to constantly white knight for the devs at every turn and stifle any meaningful criticism that comes their way.

Now, I wasn't trying to rag on Check Six Simulations or any other devs for that matter. Obviously, the more content and content creators, the better. What I'm trying to do is explain why I for one won't be purchasing yet another WW3/War Game scenario map, so that when decisions to make the next terrain come up, they can be better informed.

And as I've mentioned, I've been playing this game since I had to load it on a floppy through DOS and I have spent enough money on ED products to buy a bloody super bike by now. And that's besides the fact I have created a massive amount of free content for this game at my own expense, so I would appreciate being allowed to put my two cents in without being reprimanded by the likes of you... Thanks!

Edited by Ozone1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, YoYo said:

With this map I'll be on hold on position ;), but what about more anticipated and needed map - DCS: Vietnam ??? 💪

It could be first day purchase for many.

yes.gif

We are asking about it from years :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

F-5, F-4, MiG-21, A-7, A-6, MiG-17 etc ..... you have or will have stuff for this map, so why no any news about it still ?  :poster_oops:

I would much rather have Korea map with more Korean war aircraft such as F9F Panther than Vietnam. We need theatres, not incomplete parts.

Edited by Baltic Dude

• ED Team
2 hours ago, Ozone1 said:

You know NineLine, I'm not the only one that has noticed you have a tendency to constantly white knight for the devs at every turn

Weird, almost like I work for ED or something.

Your disappointment in their choice will not do much, as Wags stated, the teams location and knowledge made sense for them to do this as their first map, and even if they wanted to do Vietnam or Korea or whatever else you might have preferred, it might very well all ready be taken and not announced. 

You need to look at the bigger picture, and at the end of the day, as even Wags said, this might not be a map for you, and you might not buy it, and that is ok. You can put your two cents in, but ease up on them, you don't like their choice, great, then you don't have to buy it, but you don't need to wish poor sales on them or whatever else negative thoughts you have. The best way to react to something you don't like is to not pay it any mind. 

I would watch the tone as well, as I said, you made your point leave them be now. You paid for a lot of products sure, but that doesnt buy you the right to be rude. 

1 hour ago, Baltic Dude said:

I would much rather have Korea map with more Korean war aircraft such as F9F Panther than Vietnam. We need theatres, not incomplete parts.

Read and understand what Wags wrote as well, even if a team comes about and wants to do a Vietnam or Korea map, it doesnt mean it is open to do, and for their first venture into map making, doing something they are more familiar with and have better access to makes sense. Vietnam and Korea are obviously a popular place, they are also complex and key maps, its more of a matter of when than if. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png