weird interaction of static and dynamic weather tabs

skypickle

I set static wind and then switch over to dynamic tab. I can generate a cyclone. Fine.

Going back to static if I change direction or speed of wind, then go to dynamic, all my parameters have changed. Changing dynamic parameters and then going to static-changes nothing in static. But then if i go back to dynamic, all my parameters have changed again-without me doing anything.

In other words, it seems like the parameters in the static tab, override any settings I make in the dynamic tab. In fact, sometimes I enter parameters in the dynamic tab, fly the mission and if i come back to the dynamic tab they are different-somehow being influenced by the static tab. 

Suppose I have a carrier with a BRC of 90 degrees. I want a 30 knot breeze blowing over the deck but I also want a sea state with enough waves to give a rolling/pitching deck. To get such a sea state I have to set a strong static wind which is unrealistic to fly in. To counter this, I have been trying to set a cyclone with winds in the opposite direction. Since cyclones rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere, I have to put the cyclone off the starboard beam of the carrier. But getting the right combination of static and dynamic weather is difficult.

Is there a recipe somewhere to get an angry sea state with only moderate wind?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

Unless I’m misunderstanding you, static and dynamic weather are two completely different things. Unless something has changed, you can’t play one against the other.

To do what you want to do would require some serious editing. You’d have to set up a couple of weather systems under the dynamic tab and save it. Open the resulting file and move the pressure systems to where you need them to get the wind interactions you want. You’d probably have to alter the system strengths and, possibly, shapes as well.

Another way to handle it would be to select the number and type of systems you want and hit the “Generate” button until you get something that works for you. Either approach would probably take a day or two to achieve the results you want.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Every time you change weather systems from static/dynamic the pressure centers randomization "dice" are re-rolled. It's not that changing static overwrites anything but that switching the mission out of dynamic weather and back in (even if no changes) will get new dynamic values.

• 2 months later...

I've noticed that now in 2.8 the first cyclone generated can't be moved or manipulated.  If you try to change the values they just revert back to the original settings. And saving the dynamic weather lua file and editing it in an editor (notepad++) has little to no effect on the first cyclone.