Just curious... DCS 2?

Rhinozherous
Go to solution Solved by Silver_Dragon,

Hello!

Just sort of a thought experiment... is it possible that we ever see something like a complete new and modernized DCS World? Sort of DCS World 2? The current version is based on the original one from 2008 i think? I am not a programer but I can imagine that there is a ton of new technology since then and new ways to do things in programming?

Dont want to start anything here, I am happy with DCS... Just wanted to know if this ever was, or is, a possibillity for ED?

Thank you

Edited by Rhinozherous
  • Like 2

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

• Solution
16 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

Hello!

Just sort of a thought experiment... is it possible that we ever see something like a complete new and modernized DCS World? Sort of DCS World 2? The current version is based on the original one from 2008 i think? I am not a programer but I can imagine that there is a ton of new technology since then and new ways to do things in programming?

Dont want to start anything here, I am mostly happy with DCS... Just wanted to know if this ever was, or is, a possibillity for ED?

Thank you

We have actually on the 2.7 version... and that has none to do with the old DCS 1 Dx9 version 32 bytes version. With the 2 version, we get Dx11 64 byte version and new EDGE engine map. A DCS 3 version will coming with Vulkan / Multitreat version, EDGE 2 version.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

We have actually on the 2.7 version... and that has none to do with the old DCS 1 Dx9 version 32 bytes version. With the 2 version, we get Dx10 64 byte version and EDGE engine map. A DCS 3 version will coming with Vulkan / Multitreat version, EDGE 2 version.

Thats right, I think I over-complicated things here...

In fact it is awesome that ED does it with updates. I forgot that we most probably would have to buy all modules again with a complete new version. 

Thank you ED 😀

(I would buy all things again, because they are awesome)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

On 8/26/2022 at 7:35 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

We have actually on the 2.7 version... and that has none to do with the old DCS 1 Dx9 version 32 bytes version. With the 2 version, we get Dx11 64 byte version and new EDGE engine map. A DCS 3 version will coming with Vulkan / Multitreat version, EDGE 2 version.

Interesting. I hadn’t occurred to me that multithreading would be DCS V3.

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 2:31 PM, Rhinozherous said:

Hello!

Hi,

Actually, we already had a DCS 2.0 back on 2016, prior to that DCS was v1.xx

DCS as we know it today, kind of an operating system for simulated aircrafts, started on 2012 ... its roots came from the 2008 Blackshark helicopter sim, and the 2011 DCS A-10C stand-alone sim. DCS was a breaktrough at the time as it allowed both the A-10C and the Blackshark to share the same Map and assets and fight each other on multiplayer.

DCS 2.0 introduced a more advanced graphics engine and the ability to use new Maps in adition to Caucasus, the first additional map being Nevada.

You are right that programming techniques have advanced over these 11 years, however rewriting the sim from scratch every few years is a very expensive proposition for a game that is not as widespread as common games like arma 3 and the like.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 7

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 8/28/2022 at 2:36 AM, Rudel_chw said:

DCS 2.0 introduced a more advanced graphics engine and the ability to use new Maps in adition to Caucasus, the first additional map being Nevada.

DCS 2.0 Open Alpha was Nevada only, EDGE engine testbed. DCS 2.5 started the multimap capability and broght it all together.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

13 minutes ago, draconus said:

DCS 2.5 started the multimap capability and broght it all together.

yes, you are right ... and DCS 1.5 in spite its designation, was between 2.0 and 2.5 ... giving Edge graphics to Caucasus.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:35 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

and When is That! 🥲 I hope we will get it in the next year , i am getting old want to see it before I die

• Like 3

On 9/2/2022 at 12:41 AM, Silver_Dragon said:

When it done.

Be really good to hear some news of at least the priorities of what’s being worked on behind the scenes. I’m not going anywhere else but there are so many things in the pipeline, most of which are complex and subject to indefinite timeframes but the silence on things like MULTICORE, WX, dynamic campaigns is deafening. It’s pretty frustrating to not hear a peep. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

1 hour ago, Willie Nelson said:

It’s pretty frustrating to not hear a peep. 

Honestly, why? Does Apple informs us what is being worked behind scenes? Does Samsung? Does any automaker discloses what they will bring to market on the coming year?

What would we gain by having such information? Are we going to be managing ED?

for our customer’s purposes, I’m happy knowing what new products are coming on the next months (or years), so that I can have an idea of how much I need to save in order to purchase those that interest me, but beyond that, I see no point in knowing if Vulkan is behind schedule or not, ditto the dynamic campaign, and ditto other similar features. Those are free items and I know that ED will deliver them when ready, so I don’t really worry much about them.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 9:58 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Honestly, why? Does Apple informs us what is being worked behind scenes? Does Samsung? Does any automaker discloses what they will bring to market on the coming year?

What would we gain by having such information? Are we going to be managing ED?

for our customer’s purposes, I’m happy knowing what new products are coming on the next months (or years), so that I can have an idea of how much I need to save in order to purchase those that interest me, but beyond that, I see no point in knowing if Vulkan is behind schedule or not, ditto the dynamic campaign, and ditto other similar features. Those are free items and I know that ED will deliver them when ready, so I don’t really worry much about them.

I mean it's great if you feel that way, but other people like myself would like to know whats being actually worked on and if we can expect any updates in the near future. Especially things like the dynamic campaign system. Those of us who mainly play singleplayer in DCS are being left high and dry with no info in sight. So like I said maybe you don't care but some of us do. The way modern game development works devs tend to give out quite a bit of info these days since it's so easy to do and keeps your customers engaged and excited about upcoming features. It's also beneficial to help generate interest and have good things spread on the internet to increase interest in the game and possibly grab even more future customers. ED isn't Apple or Samsung. And to be fair they often do leak a lot of information on upcoming tech and features. What phone release just drops with ZERO information given beforehand? I can't name one.

• Like 4

On 9/10/2022 at 5:28 AM, grimm862 said:

I mean it's great if you feel that way, but other people like myself would like to know whats being actually worked on and if we can expect any updates in the near future. Especially things like the dynamic campaign system. Those of us who mainly play singleplayer in DCS are being left high and dry with no info in sight. So like I said maybe you don't care but some of us do.

That's the point - they do inform us and we know very well what is in the works. Just repeating it every day or asking "are we there yet?" or "when?" is not productive.

SP content is very reach atm depending on the module. If you take into consideration both DLC and user made campaigns there's a lot to play - so we were never left - plus you can always make your own missions.

We all do care about the DCS future and see forward to take on DC and other improvements - where do you get that we don't from?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

16 minutes ago, draconus said:

where do you get that we don't from?

probably from my "… so I don’t really worry much about them." but I was referring to free items of the DCS core, like the dynamic campaign or vulkan support. Guess I’m not much of an "are we there yet?" kind of guy, I prefer to be surprised when such features finally arrive, instead of worrying about them for months and years.

Little takes it to be happy.

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

13 hours ago, draconus said:

That's the point - they do inform us and we know very well what is in the works. Just repeating it every day or asking "are we there yet?" or "when?" is not productive.

SP content is very reach atm depending on the module. If you take into consideration both DLC and user made campaigns there's a lot to play - so we were never left - plus you can always make your own missions.

We all do care about the DCS future and see forward to take on DC and other improvements - where do you get that we don't from?

When we haven't heard jack diddly about the SP improvements, like my biggest want the dynamic campaign or hell even a better mission generation system, better AI, we haven't heard a peep from them about the dynamic campaign that was talked about what like 2 years ago? Old SP campaigns are broken half the time even paid for ones. On the surface it looks like there's lots of content to play but there really isn't. Maybe for the main modern warplanes like the f-18, f-14 and the like but when you get to the older content and especially russian stuff there's nearly nothing to do with them. The mig-19 has literally nothing to play with it. The mig-21 has some stuff but most of it is broken either with the radio setups or something else. There's literally like 5 mission to play with the F-5e unless you find some old missions/campaigns that work. We just wanna hear stuff that will keep us buying and playing. It's only beneficial in my eyes to keep hype for the game at optimum levels. Not talking about upcoming features just makes people get bored and stop playing.

@grimm862 You want them to inform you on the dev status every day. That won't happen. There's no point in saying "still WIP today".

It's not your or dev's fault there is too little content for your module. There's plenty of multi-module missions, MP or even user made dynamic campaigns for all modules. If you're bored it's totally on you.

And better check update logs - every one of them contain improvements and fixes for ME, AI, modules and missions... you name it. Not exactly what you wanted? Sorry, can't please everyone.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:35 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

*bit. You mean bit. When we reach a word length of 32 bytes we're probably done with colonizing Mars.... 😁

Sorry for being a nitpicker! 🙈

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"