Allow server admins to enforce F-16 settings that affect PvP pilot performance

D4n

Please add ME options for F-16 slots to overwrite these 3 client settings, due to balancing issues regarding these items affecting quite big advantages/disadvantages. Thanks.

nullimage.png

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

AFAIK there are no module-specific server settings in ME. 

Your obsession with assumed advantages/disadvantages that other players may have over you seems to be affecting your ability to enjoy playing DCS; it seems to me that you are now about to be stepping over the line where you are actively trying to impose your views on others. Perhaps it would be better if you take a step back.

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 4

Well, tbh, the claim by sb. else recently that he assumes 90 (or 99) % of all PvP players to have some sort of headtracking might've already been an eye-opener to me, but I'll see what happens in my next dogfight, and also keep an eye on ED's long awaited AMRAAM fix for the many AIM-120 guidance bug-reports in "weapon bugs" subforum, for now.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

1 hour ago, cfrag said:

AFAIK there are no module-specific server settings in ME.

Actually there are. If such settings are available for a certain module, you can find them in the mission editor, when you place down such an aircraft and check its special settings tab. For some modules you can enforce stuff like having to do an INS alignment and things like that. They are of course only available for "player" and "client" aircraft, but not for AI aircraft.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I am curious how would reflections provide advantage/disadvantage to anyone in a dogfight? For tinted canopy at night, I could see a disadvantage, but no idea how that would be an advantage? Perhaps flying into the sun? Can you clarify?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, markom said:

I am curious how would reflections provide advantage/disadvantage to anyone in a dogfight? For tinted canopy at night, I could see a disadvantage, but no idea how that would be an advantage? Perhaps flying into the sun? Can you clarify?

Flying away from the sun actually, as the sun can then shine onto the MFDs from behind and make them pretty much unreadable if reflections are turned on. Just hold your smartphone or notebook with its display into direct sunshine and you see what I mean (and maybe turn off automatic brightness adjustment), especially if you hold it so that the sunrays are reflected to your eyes.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 hours ago, markom said:

Yeah, that would be a *dis*advantage. How does having reflections on turn into an advantage?

No one said they do. Having them turned off is an advantage, not the other way around.

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

Right, but most folks turn these off not to have an advantage, but probably to have a working sim... 🙂

Let's be honest here... what these do is the equivalent of a marginal gain in cycling in not having 10 gram reflectors on wheels because they add "rotational weight" and lose you 0.05W. 

If reflections is what turns into a disadvantage in the dogfight, I would argue that dogfight was lost before it even started. 🙂

Edited by markom
  • Like 2

D4n is not interested in being reasoned on these topics... he is obsessed with "exploits" and people having any sort of advantage (as evidenced in his thread asking to be able to see whethere a user uses TIR or VR so he can judge if they have an "advantage") so he can blame the supposed "advantages" on him loosing PvP fights. This thread is going to go exactly nowhere and its probably best just to not feed the troll.

• Like 5

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

D4n, you may be the first person I have ment, whose perspective I trully did not understand.

Why would that bother you? Even if you're bad, and want to cope, (which clearly). How do you arrive at making this particular complaint. Instead of the million other things you could call unbalanced, in a simulator. (Which DUH).

And the Track IR/VR tagging of players too. It was the most ridicolous thing I've ever heard. How did you even arrive at that becoming your concern?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markom said:

Right, but most folks turn these off not to have an advantage, but probably to have a working sim... 🙂

Let's be honest here... what these do is the equivalent of a marginal gain in cycling in not having 10 gram reflectors on wheels because they add "rotational weight" and lose you 0.05W. 

If reflections is what turns into a disadvantage in the dogfight, I would argue that dogfight was lost before it even started. 🙂

agreed

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

IDK I think turning stuff like the HMD or Link16 on/off server side would be far more impactful for MP servers. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Intersting to see so many people attack D4n for his proposals...

As someone who often has the MFD totally obscured I see the advantage this option offer clearly...

Also seeing how many people have: plain setup, trackir, vr could be interesting. You do not have to even disclose who is wearing what, just present summary information.

2 hours ago, okopanja said:

Intersting to see so many people attack D4n for his proposals

I believe the issue is more that OP's go-to move after losing an engagement seemingly is playing the victim card, suspecting they were cheated out of a win by some nefarious, unfair advantage, and then request features that would 'better balance' the game, with some of the suggestions (Icons for what hardware you are using, started by same OP, proposed as another 'balancing' measure) being questionable at best.

Since people may turn off reflections altogether to increase performance for their marginal gaming computer, I would submit that a sensible server setting would be 'none' for all, which was not suggested. If you want to fly with reflections turned on that's your prerogative. Assume everyone else has turned it off. No enforced server setting needed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cfrag said:

I believe the issue is more that OP's go-to move after losing an engagement seemingly is playing the victim card, suspecting they were cheated out of a win by some nefarious, unfair advantage, and then request features that would 'better balance' the game, with some of the suggestions (Icons for what hardware you are using, started by same OP, proposed as another 'balancing' measure) being questionable at best.

No, what makes him a victim, is kind of direct approach toward his proposal. I must say that I felt irked at this, but I do not know D4n personally, so I really can not judge, but I start from innocence point. 🙂

26 minutes ago, cfrag said:

Since people may turn off reflections altogether to increase performance for their marginal gaming computer, I would submit that a sensible server setting would be 'none' for all, which was not suggested. If you want to fly with reflections turned on that's your prerogative. Assume everyone else has turned it off. No enforced server setting needed.

I am wondering if this should be an option at all: if reflections are there they are there, real pilot can not removed the, except perhaps use a hand or body position to create a shadow it (e.g. perhaps track IR can be used to modify the shadow created by pilot's body?).

If we consider this is something to be kept as option (and thus sacrifice realism), then it needs to be applied to all modules consistently, which is not the case at the moment. This clearly places the pilots flying modules where this is possible into unfair advantage over the ones flying the modules where this is hard coded (and therefore more realistic).

41 minutes ago, okopanja said:

I am wondering if this should be an option at all: if reflections are there they are there

These options abound because, primarily, DCS is still a single-player game, and the vendors strive to give you options to match the performance-eating features to your system by selectively enable/disable them. Although realism has high priority, playability ranks higher - hence the options. It's primarily eye candy, and you are playing alone. Having a fine gradient to tune your experience is a good thing here. There are even unrealistic options available like lens flare, unlimited munitions, so ED is completely aware that there are lots of customers who are perfectly willing to trade realism for "beauty" and playability. And they deliver in spades. I myself use these options: in the Apache, I disabled the flame retardant suit visuals, and trigger guard; the Hornet's HMD renders to both eyes, as does the Karmov; the Tomcat's weapon selector switch is simplified; as is the F1's etc. Since these are all options, no harm done.

Now, as a result, you should assume that when you enter a pvp arena, your opponents have dialed down all features to get max performance and distractions. The last number I read was that MP is still in the low teens, and a good portion isn't pvp, so making former options mandatory on server games is a bad idea, as it could ruin the online experience for a good portion of players.  

41 minutes ago, okopanja said:

If we consider this is something to be kept as option (and thus sacrifice realism), then it needs to be applied to all modules consistently, which is not the case at the moment. This clearly places the pilots flying modules where this is possible into unfair advantage over the ones flying the modules where this is hard coded (and therefore more realistic).

Well, you are now exclusively talking PvP, a small part of the entire DCS experience. Although I believe that you have a point, I contend that there usually are much bigger factors: when you fight dissimilar, the reflections on your F-5's cockpit are your least concern when engaged by a Flanker. When you fight AI, the fight is often stacked against you because many AI planes can do things that your flight model cant. The graphics come in dead last as a potential problem.

Simply remember it's a game, and you should enjoy it. 

Edited by cfrag

Please ED, add a server side option to enforce that D4n wins every A/A, it will be faster (and more healthy for us)

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

• ED Team

Hi all, 

while we do not plan to add this please be respectful when posting, D4n is keeping to the rules with his various MP wishlist posts. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2