Deployable decoys

JOYFUL_CLOVR

I was rewatching the announcement trailer and something caught my eye. While I understand that decoys will likely not come with the initial EA release, does this mean they may be implemented at some point?

Screenshot_20220828-141659.jpg

• Like 3

Specs: i7-11700k, RTX 3070 Ti, 64GB RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD

Squadron:

Capture.PNG

31 minutes ago, JOYFUL_CLOVR said:

I was rewatching the announcement trailer and something caught my eye. While I understand that decoys will likely not come with the initial EA release, does this mean they may be implemented at some point?

Screenshot_20220828-141659.jpg

they should get implemented... its a rather unique thing 

image.png My beloved ❤️

It's not really unique, Hornet is supposed to get the GEN-X decoy, and the Viper supports that, as well. ED said it's missing required data, though. Towed decoys had been planned for a while, although being a core feature, it'll probably take a while for them to be implemented.

As @Dragon 1-1 said, these things are not that unique on modern fighter jets and our DCS Viper is also supposed to get a towed decoy, the ALE-50 Towed Decoy as you can see on the Viper roadmap:

Pictures of them deployed are pretty rare though. Check this if you want to see a deployed decoy on a Eurofighter: https://theaviationist.com/2012/04/16/towed-decoy/

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

5 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

It's not really unique, Hornet is supposed to get the GEN-X decoy, and the Viper supports that, as well. ED said it's missing required data, though. Towed decoys had been planned for a while, although being a core feature, it'll probably take a while for them to be implemented.

These ones are integrated though

image.png My beloved ❤️

There's one thing those can help with in DCS: HOJ. You can trick a HOJ missile with a towed decoy by simply using it to jam instead of your internal jammer. There's a good chance it'll be blown off, but you'll be safe, at least if you did everything else right.

• Like 2

I know that HOJ exists already, but is it possible to move the jammer to a distance from the aircraft? I think only ED could answer this question, or 3rd party devs developing offboard jammers. I know GEN X is planned or have it been implemented and is working already?

Edited by Spectre11

The thing is that the only decoys currently integrated into the Eurofighter are the "Cartridge Countermeasure 55 mm Typhoon IR Decoy" (basically a big flare with a programmable IR signature) and "BriteCloud" by Selex (your modern equivalent to GEN-X).

Keep in mind that BriteCloud is very modern (it came to market in 2014) and therefore classified when it comes to most of its performance numbers and operating principles. Another important thing to consider is the fact that it hasn't been adopted by any Eurofighter user nation. Overall this will most likely mean that BriteCloud won't be integrated into the DCS Eurofighter for a long time. 

So the only thing that realistically can be integrated into the DCS Eurofighter will be the mentioned IR decoys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MRTX said:

The thing is that the only decoys currently integrated into the Eurofighter are the "Cartridge Countermeasure 55 mm Typhoon IR Decoy" (basically a big flare with a programmable IR signature) and "BriteCloud" by Selex (your modern equivalent to GEN-X).

Keep in mind that BriteCloud is very modern (it came to market in 2014) and therefore classified when it comes to most of its performance numbers and operating principles. Another important thing to consider is the fact that it hasn't been adopted by any Eurofighter user nation. Overall this will most likely mean that BriteCloud won't be integrated into the DCS Eurofighter for a long time. 

So the only thing that realistically can be integrated into the DCS Eurofighter will be the mentioned IR decoys.

Plus Saab BOL-510 Chaff dispensers, modified BOL-IR and the Ariel Towed Radio Frequency Decoys. The flares itself are not programmable, but it's possible to fit different types of flares and the dispenser can distinguish itself between the flares and use the appropriate type in automated counter measures programmes.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2022 at 8:13 PM, Spectre11 said:

I know that HOJ exists already, but is it possible to move the jammer to a distance from the aircraft? I think only ED could answer this question, or 3rd party devs developing offboard jammers. I know GEN X is planned or have it been implemented and is working already?

HOJ works with two aircraft, so why shouldn't it work with the decoy ? Especially since it's a matter of programming, not mounting a jammer in a decoy.

Edited by Lynnux

It seems the biggest obstacle to them right now is the need for new refueling hose physics, which will also apply to towing line physics (it's one and the same problem, basically implementing ropes into the sim). This makes a lot of sense, a towed decoy is, well, towed, not mounted on a fixed bar like the current basket before contact.

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2022 at 1:42 PM, QuiGon said:

As @Dragon 1-1 said, these things are not that unique on modern fighter jets and our DCS Viper is also supposed to get a towed decoy, the ALE-50 Towed Decoy as you can see on the Viper roadmap:

Pictures of them deployed are pretty rare though. Check this if you want to see a deployed decoy on a Eurofighter: https://theaviationist.com/2012/04/16/towed-decoy/

F-16CG, shot down by 3rd r.d. 250th r.b. in 1999 was flying with ALE-50 deployed.

• 3 weeks later...

This doesn't mean a thing. We're getting a mid-2000s Eurofighter retrofitted in mid-2010s with early Meteor capability. This is pretty common with real aircraft, and I'm pretty sure it'll be the only feature that late. That is, of course, if Meteor is actually a thing in first place. I don't think it's 100% confirmed they'll be able to do it.

45 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

This doesn't mean a thing. We're getting a mid-2000s Eurofighter retrofitted in mid-2010s with early Meteor capability. This is pretty common with real aircraft, and I'm pretty sure it'll be the only feature that late. That is, of course, if Meteor is actually a thing in first place. I don't think it's 100% confirmed they'll be able to do it.

🗿

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

It's already confirmed that the meteor will be released.

Specs: i7-11700k, RTX 3070 Ti, 64GB RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD

Squadron:

Capture.PNG

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

That is, of course, if Meteor is actually a thing in first place. I don't think it's 100% confirmed they'll be able to do it.

Q: What will Early Access include on initial release?

A: Early Access will include a fully flyable, fully clickable and fully functional Eurofighter with air to air capabilities only. This will include a fully functional flight model and Eurojet EJ200 engines (+ hydraulics, etc.), basic and needed Avionics (at the least), functional radar, functional air to air weapons specific to the Eurofighter, such as the Meteor and IRIS-T short-range missiles and the gun in air to air capability. Early Access will of course include a manual as well and the other set of requisite features expected from a Heatblur module.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

19 hours ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

The Typhoon we are getting is around 2021.

Uhm, source? I've never heard or saw such a statement from the devs. :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 hours ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

It has METEOR and latest gen Helmet. 

Yeah, but that doesn't mean the Typhoon will be from a certain point in time. It will have some older systems/functions and some newer ones. Some might call it a Frankentyphoon, but IRL the Typhoons out there have very different combinations of software and hardware as well. So just because it has Meteor doesn't mean it will have all other systems that came after 2020, unlike your comment indicates.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 3

Tornado3 small.jpg