Setting HUD for NVGs?

SharpeXB

So remind me… how do I set the HUD brightness to work with the NVGs?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The intensity rocker is on the bottom right side of the UFC. That said there are a number of brightness issues and NVG compatibility issues with night flying in the DCS HAWG right now….

Edited by ASAP

If I recall I think in the old A-10C all you had to do was set the HUD switch to “night”. I don’t recall ever having to change the intensity on the UFC

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

18 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

If I recall I think in the old A-10C all you had to do was set the HUD switch to “night”. I don’t recall ever having to change the intensity on the UFC

In DCS the "night" setting just makes the HUD amber, which doesn't sound NVG compatible to me 🙂  It depends on your NVG brightness, on full moon nights I don't have to change the HUD intensity, but on dark nights I'll have to turn the NVG's up and the HUD down.  I've not had problems finding a setting that works for the HUD.  The NVG's themselves, on the other hand, have had some challenges on and off over the last several updates

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

In DCS the "night" setting just makes the HUD amber, which doesn't sound NVG compatible

Not saying that was correct just that’s how I recall it. I’m trying to figure if I’ve lost my mind not remembering how this works after flying the Hog for ten years 😆

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The night switch just slides a red filter over the HUD projector. It's function is to make the HUD symbology easier on the Mark 1 eyeball. For the NVGs it should be left in day mode. Real world it works just fine with the NVGs automatically, the only issue is that the NVGs gain up and down based on ambient light and as it does that the pilot has to adjust the intensity of the HUD because it is either too dim and unreadable or too bright and makes it difficult to see whats behind it (i.e. the target). In the I think its too bright so I lower the intensity at night, but to each their own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dporter22 said:

It would be nice if the view of the cockpit didn't become such poor quality when you turn on the NVGs.

The NVGs are focused on infinity, so IRL everything inside the cockpit is completely blurry and unreadable through the goggles . The NVGs are only good for looking outside the cockpit. Pilots have to look under their NVGs to look inside. It’s kinda like flying with bifocals.

Wish they would set it up so the NVGs only covered the top 2/3rds of the screen so you could look under them. 

• Like 4