A Juggler's nightmare: My VR settings ecosystem... where am i going wrong?

dooom

So i feel like there is a seemingly infinite list of settings that i get lost in trying to setup my VR.  I have what i'd consider a beefy PC, decent vid card, lotsa ram and a Reverb G2.  The problem is things just look ugly when flying single player and i don't think i have things set right.

To be honest, I'm drowning in the multiple threads/hundreds of replies and pages trying to figure out what i should be doing.  

Here are ALL of the balls in the air.  I would be infinitely grateful for any advice where it looks like i'm missing something critical or doing something stupid.  Maybe someone else will learn.  

System Specs:

HP Reverb G2 with gen2cable

Win 10 ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8  liquid cooling / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 (RAM not showing 3200 in BIOS though… working through DOCP still to optimize it)

Windows Mixed Reality Portal:

Adj level of detail and quality of effects in mixed reality home= let windows decide

Change app window resolution=720p

Experience Options Change=Optimize for performance

Adjust display resolution=4320x2160 (best quality)

Framerate=90Hz

Calibration=65.182 IPD

Sleep Timeout=Let windows decide

OpenXR Tools for Windows

Use latest preview OpenXR runtime= ON

Customised render scale = checked, set 100%

Motion Reprojection = Disabled

OpenXR runtime version ending .18003

DCS Settings

DCS Open Beta 2.7.17.29140 - Is VR performance better on Stable?

Using Skatezilla for update/repair/clean

I delete Fxo/Metashaders after updates

Textures = HIGH

Terrain Textures = HIGH

Civ Traffic = Off

Water= Medium

Visib Range= Medium

Heat Blur= off

Shadows= Low

Secondary Shadows= on

Resolution = 1280 x 800M

Monitors=1 screen

Res of Cock[it Displays = 1024

MSAA =2x

Depth of Field=None

Lens Effects = off

Motion Blur = off

Clouds = Standard

SSAA/SSLR/SSAO = off

Clutter/Grass = 0

Forest Vis = 50%

Forest Details Factor = 0.3

Scenery Details Factor = 0.3

Preload radius = 150000

Chimney Smoke Density = 0

Gamma = 2

Anisotropic Filtering = 16x

Terrain Obj Shadows = Default

Cockpit illuminations= On

Raindrops = check

V-Sync off 

FullScreen = check

Cursor confined to game = check

IPD 1.0

MSA Mask Size0.42

OpenXR Toolkit

Upscaling NIS

Anamorphic Off

Size 68%(2148x2102)

Sharpness 20%

Appearance

Post Processing Off

World Scale 99.5%(65.5mm to match IPD)

System

Override Resolution  yes

Display resolution 3160x3092

Motion Reprojection = On

Lock Reprojection 45 FPS

AMD Catalyst Drivers

Catalyst 22.8.1

Global Tuning - Custom (i do not have a DCS profile setup as i only play DCS - i assume my global tuning overrides anything vs. when i click on the DCS icon in Catalyst)

GPU Tuning Enabled. (The following comes from an undervolting tutorial i watched for my card)

Min Freq = 500MHz

Max Freq = 2605 MHz

Voltage (mV) = 1175

VRAM Tuning Enabled

Memory Timing Default

Advanced Control Disabled

Max Frequency (%) = 100

Ryzen 5800x

Occasionally i have used AMD Ryzen Master to easy/oneclick OC with  Precision Boost Overdrive.  I know its not permanent but i have it set to Profile 1 and just Apply it when i play DCS.  i see a max CPU clock speed around 4,950 Mhz when i use it.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

(1) GPU tuning : set "min" freq to 100-400 less than "max" freq . From 500 to 2605 hz is a long ramp .

(2) DCS graphics settings :

(a) : " global cockpit illumination " is a severe resource hog .

(b) : ground textures can be set to low . I can't tell the difference .

(c) : secondary shadows off , if you can live without them

(d) : that memory speed problem will kill you with a Ryzen processor , which requires fast memory . Priority one !

I actually prefer to run the G2 at 60hz native . No probs maintaining native freq anytime the gear is up , and motion smoothing  kicks in  seamlessly on  the ground . Running 60hz also gives a lot of system frametime headroom , allowing higher settings .

Is AMD gpu still problematic with motion reprojection ? I know it has been .

I know nothing about OXR . Steam works fine for me , and FpsVR shows very balanced cpu and gpu frametimes . 

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

thank you.. this is precisely the help i'm looking for.  I think i figured out the ram speeds.  I installed my 2x 32 kit in the A1/B1 DIMM slots.  Looks like it should be A2/B2.  I'll swap them and see if i can get DOCP to recognize the 3200.

Do you think i'd just be better off leaving the 6900 tuning with a pre-set undervolt or should i even care with that card?  

I really really appreciate the reply.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

To start with.

Turn off upscaling, this will be hurting image quality, especially outside of the cockpit, I don't think you need to use it for performance purposes.  You have it set to potato quality settings, I think this is the root of most of your problems!

Unlock the reprojection, there's no need to do so and if your fps was to dip much below 50 then it will be disabling it all together.

Turn off secondary shadows and cockpit illumination, run terrain shadows as flat or off, this should save a bunch of performance.

Leave the rest as is and you should have a good baseline to test from.

Enable the performance overlay from the from the openxr tools desktop app, this will give you all the information you need for basic troubleshooting/tuning.  This will show up as a green/blue/red box in the upper left portion of the view.

The main numbers you need to concern yourself with are appGPU and postGPU for now, these are the time taken for the GPU to render the frame and the time taken for the GPU to carry out post processing functions (this includes the overheads for reprojection).  The Hz(fps) will show nominally as either 90, 45, 30 or 22, these are the refresh rate brackets that the reprojection runs at (1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4); there will be minor varitations as and when it steps from one bracket to another.

Go flying in your normal situations, make note of what the appGPU is as a rough average and it's nominal highs and lows; this will be the main focus for tuning your settings to achieve what you need.

Roughly speaking, for 90Hz to keep in the 45Hz (1/2 refresh rate) reprojection bracket you want your appGPU to be less than around 20ms, if you're well below this then you have GPU overhead spare and you can turn up some settings.

If you are over 20ms then you will be starting to drop down to the 30Hz (1/3 refresh rate) reprojection bracket; this isn't necessarily a bad thing though and is one of the massive advantages of openxr over steamvr (steamvr can't reproject below 45Hz).

Try that lot out and see if there are any improvements and how the appGPU numbers are looking and then we can go from there 🙂

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

14 hours ago, nukeproof said:

What does it mean ?

Is the RAM and advertised speed supported by your CPU ?

Are you running XMP ?

i have a tuf gaming x570 pro mobo.  No XMP but it does have the asus version DOCP.  Usually its a matter of enabling DOCP to pick the speed from the bios dropdown but my PC is failing to post when i do that... i think its because my 2x32 sticks are in the A!/B1 slots... should be A2/B2 basedo n my research.

12 hours ago, edmuss said:

To start with.

Turn off upscaling, this will be hurting image quality, especially outside of the cockpit, I don't think you need to use it for performance purposes.  You have it set to potato quality settings, I think this is the root of most of your problems!

Unlock the reprojection, there's no need to do so and if your fps was to dip much below 50 then it will be disabling it all together.

Turn off secondary shadows and cockpit illumination, run terrain shadows as flat or off, this should save a bunch of performance.

Leave the rest as is and you should have a good baseline to test from.

Enable the performance overlay from the from the openxr tools desktop app, this will give you all the information you need for basic troubleshooting/tuning.  This will show up as a green/blue/red box in the upper left portion of the view.

The main numbers you need to concern yourself with are appGPU and postGPU for now, these are the time taken for the GPU to render the frame and the time taken for the GPU to carry out post processing functions (this includes the overheads for reprojection).  The Hz(fps) will show nominally as either 90, 45, 30 or 22, these are the refresh rate brackets that the reprojection runs at (1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4); there will be minor varitations as and when it steps from one bracket to another.

Go flying in your normal situations, make note of what the appGPU is as a rough average and it's nominal highs and lows; this will be the main focus for tuning your settings to achieve what you need.

Roughly speaking, for 90Hz to keep in the 45Hz (1/2 refresh rate) reprojection bracket you want your appGPU to be less than around 20ms, if you're well below this then you have GPU overhead spare and you can turn up some settings.

If you are over 20ms then you will be starting to drop down to the 30Hz (1/3 refresh rate) reprojection bracket; this isn't necessarily a bad thing though and is one of the massive advantages of openxr over steamvr (steamvr can't reproject below 45Hz).

Try that lot out and see if there are any improvements and how the appGPU numbers are looking and then we can go from there 🙂

tahnks a million man... i'll try this out tonight after work and try to report back.

Seriously guys.  I appreciate the feedback.  I opened the thread because it felt like i had to adjust sooooo many things that i was getting lost.