landing this jolly aircraft

treasure

Some interesting advice on this thread.  A lot of people seem to be over thinking it.  Don't worry about the speed - that is dependent on a/c weight.  Fly the correct AoA and glideslope and you'll be fine.  Keep the FPM on the piano keys.  The landing bracket on the HUD, and the localiser should be where your focus is, (or runway centreline for a visual approach - note the FPM will not be aligned with the centre of the HUD if a crosswind is present).  Keep the airbrakes 3/4 extended throughout the approach as this gives you better throttle control and they can be quickly retracted if you need to go around (not sure if this is standard ops, but works for me and is generally good practice as throttle response at low speeds can be slow). Flare at idle throttle just above the runway and pitch up slightly (move the FPM to halfway down the runway), allowing the aircraft to settle onto the main wheels (it might gently rock side-to-side as one wheel touches before the other).  Maintain that pitch until <100kts and gradually lower the nose.  Apply full back stick, full airbrakes, NWS on when you start to lose rudder authority, and gently brake for your runway exit.  

• Like 2

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

There are 2 parameters you need to watch, Angle of Attack from 10 to 13 degrees, and Flight Path Market between -5 degrees marker and horizon best if at -2.5 degrees, extend your airbrakes and that is,

Keep the plane between 10 and 13 AOA, adjust your Flight Path Marker with throttle movement not with pulling the stick, stick is used to keep the nose up at desired AOA.

speed will be what will be, it depends on your weight, you cant do anything about that but burn fuel prior to landing. And as @Lace said, don't over think it, practice and practice.

• Like 2

Here's a great video that goes over everything to look for in landing the Viper:

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

2 hours ago, cmbaviator said:

i'll have a look after woork, but that will just affect my descent path not my bank angle ?

compared to your video, both 😆

You do like a circle or a very little downwind (if you're the first aircraft to brake).

Edited by Ignition