DCS: F-14 Development Update - AIM-54 Phoenix Improvements & Overhaul - Guided Discussion

Cobra847

5 minuti fa, lunaticfringe ha scritto:

For sake of clarity (and Бойовий Сокіл has the gist of it): 

54C in RL, in the event of a lost STT lock, would independently go active, and remain SARH all the way to the target if the lock was held. 

In DCS, to have the ability for the missile to go active in the event of a lost lock, the missile has to go active at some point in its flyout.  So the C does this at the appropriate time.  

The flipside of this, and why you want to take your STT shots when appropriate, is the fact that STT isn't susceptible to all of the issues TWS has for maintaining a track.  So you get all of the reliability of a STT shot, with the added bonus of the active fallback. 

Many thanks, pretty clear now

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Sideburns:

Looks to be a great update. "Fixed an issue with the AWG-9 track logic to avoid tracks being thrown by aircraft launching air to air missiles." - This would explain a lot of lost tracks in TWS if the AWG-9 is getting confused by tracking munitions 😕

That might explain why subsequent Phoenix shots were "trashed"? I always - unscientifically - found that my first shot usually hit the target, whereas the second (and rare third) missile was going haywire. Since switching to VR, I got rid of TacView for performance reasons, so I had no way to check what the missiles were doing. 😕  Edit: strictly referring to TWS launches

But IIRC someone (about a year ago?) came up with the theory that in TWS, the (in-game) AWG-9/ Jester would latch on to the first Phoenix instead of maintaining track of the target that would be "next in line" in TWS priority. 🤷‍♂️

Could also be complete hogwash, what do I know?! 🙂 Guess we'll find out soon, though. 👍

Edited by Jayhawk1971

Seems like a rather big overhaul, i can't wait to see it in action. Many thanks, and even more so for the patch (thanks to ED as well)!

A question:
 Does the lack of INS on the A versus the C, means that the C will fly a more optimal intercept curve, with continuous as opposed with staggered/periodic course corrections? Does the difference (if any) even has a noticeable effect on the terminal properties of the missile? Or is the terminal performance dependent on the motor use alone? 

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

2 minutes ago, RaisedByWolves said:

Any update on when we will get glove vanes?

It could, potentially, vaguely, maybe, happen on the 14th of the last month before the previous one, but it will definitely be after yesterday's tomorrow, supposing that now will be still now when then will not be then anymore.

• Like 12

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Just now, IronMike said:

It could, potentially, vaguely, maybe, happen on the 14th of the last month before the previous one, but it will definitely be after yesterday's tomorrow, supposing that now will be still now when then will not be then anymore.

So you're telling me there's a chance...

Yeah!

• Like 2

"Both motors have the same total impulse now. The MK60 has a slight advantage during motor burn time, while the MK47 has an advantage in burn time".

Took me a few reads to comprehend this sentence.... 

So the MK60 has a shorter burn time than the MK47, but has better kinetics during that burn time because the total thrust output is the same? So the MK60 gets up to speed faster which grants it some advantages in the earlier phase after weapon release, and the MK47 takes longer to accelerate, but also has the benefit of more endurance than the MK60? Is that correct?

It sounds like the MK47 will be better optimized for longer range shots than the MK60, but the MK60 will be a better medium and short range missile. I'm eager to test it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Took me a few reads to comprehend this sentence.... 

So the MK60 has a shorter burn time than the MK47, but has better kinetics during that burn time because the total thrust output is the same? So the MK60 gets up to speed faster which grants it some advantages in the earlier phase after weapon release, and the MK47 takes longer to accelerate, but also has the benefit of more endurance than the MK60? Is that correct?

It sounds like the MK47 will be better optimized for longer range shots than the MK60, but the MK60 will be a better medium and short range missile. I'm eager to test it.

Correct. Overall their impulse however is more or less the same. And also correct, the mk47 will perform (very) slightly better than the mk60 for long range shots.

7 minutes ago, Heinlein said:

Sort of a question for the future: Will the 95-GR tomcat be able to carry the C phoenix or will it be limited to the early mk-47 version?  

C can have both mk47 and mk60 motors, same as the A. But to answer your question, the IRIAF version will be limited to the -A-mk-47.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

6 minutes ago, Heinlein said:

Sort of a question for the future: Will the 95-GR tomcat be able to carry the C phoenix or will it be limited to the early mk-47 version?  

Since the only official -95 is the Iranian one, the answer should be No. Unless a decision is made to overhaul or revise the Early 135 to represent a USN -95 and -135 in some modular way 

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Thanks @IronMikefor everything you and the team at heatblur do, can't wait to give this update a try!

Going through the changelog, does this mean the explosive fuel dump bug is still ongoing? Its become a fun little trick to get in close formation with someone,  get there attention then flip the switch and hear their reaction 🤣

1 minute ago, IronMike said:

Correct. Overall their impulse however is more or less the same. And also correct, the mk47 will perform (very) slightly better than the mk60 for long range shots.

Very interesting. It seems like C-model is the way to go, but now there is an interesting choice between the MK60 or MK47 motor. 

MK47 motor is slightly better range and smokeless.

MK60 is a little bit more AMRAAMy, but makes a lot of smoke.

Awesome patch Mike, very glad to see a potential fix for the freezing issue involving the F14 AI. Also great to have a reason to use the 54C and MK47 now. I just hope the tws guidance on the A is very gradual and dosent do any jerks that massively bleed off energy, but what it looks like from the graph that shouldn't be the case hopefully. Also looks like the MK47 has a slightly better range then the MK60 now, at the cost of slower acceleration and reduced close range performance compared to the MK60. Will be very nice to be able to use the 54C and let it go active by itself in tws now. Great to see all of the new skins fixed as well. Thanks for your work and cant wait to try it out!

• Like 1

the fact that we have F14 in DCS, its amazing even after years of release

i watch the release trailers, and seeing top gun maverick, its like i feel like i know what is like to be a tomcat driver.

i started to get to know about this module after completing my simpit and receiving pointctrl (the final interface link) , i was able to better play high fidelity modules

at moment im trying to get used to CMPTR TGT ccrp bombing.. so much to learn

forever grateful. looking forward to A6E for full on 80s naval ops

thank you mister cobra and heatblur team

• Like 1

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Fantastic news, thank you HB team. Can't wait!

17 minutes ago, hannibal said:

at moment im trying to get used to CMPTR TGT ccrp bombing.. so much to learn

This is very fun as well when you combine it with the TCS and get 'accurate' designations. Really cool then to use for CCRP loft attacks.

1 hour ago, captain_dalan said:

Seems like a rather big overhaul, i can't wait to see it in action. Many thanks, and even more so for the patch (thanks to ED as well)!

A question:
 Does the lack of INS on the A versus the C, means that the C will fly a more optimal intercept curve, with continuous as opposed with staggered/periodic course corrections? Does the difference (if any) even has a noticeable effect on the terminal properties of the missile? Or is the terminal performance dependent on the motor use alone? 

Probably got lost in the myriads of questions, so i'll just repeat it.... 🙂 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Will a new whitepaper be made in order to update the information we have? I would love to read the sources that were able to make these changes possible along with stare at the graphs.

Also did the nozzle_exit_area stuff ever get added?

Edited by DSplayer
  • Like 2

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

36 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

Probably got lost in the myriads of questions, so i'll just repeat it.... 🙂 

The newly added periodic update of the -A will hamper it's long range performance as it only correct it's course every two seconds and the guidance in the -A isn't smart enough to smooth that out. It's nowhere near a bang-bang guidance of early LGBs, you have to look quite closely at the missile to see it but you can see it. This ofc makes the -A slightly worse in most long range shots but it's hard to say exactly how much.

As for the different motors the biggest difference is really down low as the mk47 burns longer it'll start loosing speed later than a mk60. If in really close the mk60 will have a slight edge as it will accelerate faster.

Edited by Naquaii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2