Bless you for the 9B implementation!

Harlikwin

Awesome work on the aim9b, it works as it should now. The seeker null is a super nice touch as well! Thanks!

And I look forward to updates to the other missiles. 

• Like 5

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Please forgive my inexperience... The seeker null - no tone when tgt is in middle of msl fov? - is this a limitation (or side effect) or a feature on a real AIM9B? 

Just curious to get more insight into the inner workings of our weapons. 

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

5 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

Please forgive my inexperience... The seeker null - no tone when tgt is in middle of msl fov? - is this a limitation (or side effect) or a feature on a real AIM9B? 

Its a feature of the AIM9B Reticle sector pattern of the seeker itself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

Yeah its a real thing and actually what causes the "snake" behavior of the earlier missiles. The optical system is an inverted cassegrain system so the dead center of it has a small dead spot between the secondary and the focus where the "reticle" is (not pictured). That's why there is a null. When the missile guides is basically steering the target lets say left/right through this null which is why it snakes back and forth as you can see in some actual videos. ED doesn't model that but you can see it clearly in the vids. And at any rate thats an ED issue not a Aerges issue, and honestly not a major one, though it does reduce the Aero range slightly for the missile which may be accounted for anyway. 

Cassegrain

Next steps are to fix the Aim9J/P behavior as those should not autolock as they do now (look at the F5E for correct behavior). They would use the (uncage button on the throttle to do it)
Also fixing the 550 behavior (which does autolock) but the uncage switch in that case returns it to boresight.

And of course fixing the 550 seeker to be rear aspect (PbS seeker), and the 530IR (InSb) to be limited all aspect.

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 9/3/2022 at 5:27 AM, Rhinozherous said:

The image below taken in the last century (RAAF Mirage IIIO) shows an AIM9B training missile (CATM) . The seeker heads of these training missiles got a lot of air time. Consequently repeated exposure to rain etc at high speeds could lead to pitting of the seeker glass. These metal covers were fitted to help reduce the pitting. They had little impact on getting tone as they were in the centre of the seeker FOV.

They obviously were not  fitted on live missiles.

Aim9bcvr.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Panny said:

Would this be the 300 - 600m missile lock/unlock button?

Yeah that would be the button. 

It should work as uncage for the 9J/P/JULI (JULI is likely more complicated since its a 9L-Li upgraded seeker head/logic that can do fancy stuff if the weapons computer is up for it)

And for the 550 (which defaults to a wide SEAM like autolock pattern) that same button commands a "narow" search instead of the wide one. So like instead of uncage, its more like return to cage. 

Currently the whole autolock thing is a major pain on MP servers as the missile will often lock the wrong target in furballs. Which was why IRL you had either the narow seeker FOV and the uncage button. Or in the case of the magic the lock whatever is on the boresight button, though the expanded seeker search by default could also be a big advantage.