The Apache Is Coming!!

linden

Thanks for the quick reply OldCrow. To be honest I'm not trying to make a fully working new model yet but rather I'd like to upres and improve some of the models already in BS, especially the Rangir (Ranzhir?) AA Control vehicle which currently looks like a low res mock up, especially when compared with some of the other ground vehicles like the Tunguska. To see so much effort put into one vehicle and so little put into the one sitting next to it makes me wonder if they just ran out of time to fix it before release! So really I just need to find a way to extract the main hull of the vehicle and upres/add to that and apply new UVs and a higher res texture while retaining the original tracks, radar antenna and other animated parts. In other words just a basic model swap. I'll have a look for those Lock On tools you mention to see if it's possible with that. Thanks for your help.

Ahh copy, then I think the tools for lockon will do the job:thumbup:

Also you can send preview pics of your model on this forum, and if its good enough, the makers of BS might include it in the game

Just a note on the 3d tools for lockon, they only work fully with 3dsmax 7, and partially in 8, but you can still make a model in a newer version of 3dsmax, and then put it back in max 7 for animations and export;)

Hi Linden, it's cool that you're willing to do some work for BS but would you mind if I offer you some advice? Judging by those early screens of your Apache model it appears you're trying to do too much too soon! What I mean is you should try and get the basic model completed with as few polygons as possible (500-1000 is a good number to start), concentrating on the proportions, the scale and the silhouette shape. When you have the whole helicopter modelled and looking accurate that is when you begin to add detail, breaking it into sections and so on. Try and keep the mesh as neat as possible with nice rings and loops and really focus on the inflation of surfaces as you work. This should eliminate those odd looking polygons and harsh edges you're seeing in some places and get the light to run smoothly across the bodywork. It can become quite tedious when you're adjusting individual vertices but for this reason it's best to get the shape and surfaces as accurate as possible while the model is still fairly low poly. That way it's easy to make changes whereas if you go straight to a high poly model and try to clean that up it's much harder to get a good result. The bevelled edges should be one of the last things you do. I hope this helps, good luck!

And while I'm here I'd be interested in improving some of the models is BS myself but I no very little about modding LOMAC. Can anyone tell me where to find and how to extract the 3d models? Can I use Modman? Any pointers and advice would be very welcome. :)

Hello!

Thanks for the advice!!

I will try to take it a bit slower and make

a very basic model first.

I want to do everything in one day:)

Hello!

Thanks for the advice!!

I will try to take it a bit slower and make

a very basic model first.

I want to do everything in one day:)

:D Yeah I know that feeling! But seriously the more time you spend getting the basics perfect the less time you spend fixing things when it's gone past that stage of moving a few verts. I also reccommend incremental saves and putting the point you're at in the save name eg: "Cockpit_Block_Out" or something. This way if worse comes to worse and you find it's easier to go back to an early point than fix you can easily find the part you need and import it back into your file. It's a mistake you'll only make once but there's nothing worse than just having one save file and someone pointing out that something is wrong when you're way past that point of an easy fix. You end up spending hours trying to adjust hundreds of verts while still trying to keep the mesh tidy :cry:

And OldCrow thanks again for the advice, now I need to source a copy of Max 7 and try and remember how everything works again after 2.5 years of Maya!

GUGAR or super puma hellicopter will be nice too :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz-4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz-ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series -saitek Χ45-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

"MINOAS11"

• 2 weeks later...
What about a Tigre? Spanish Model, heheheh

No. Aussie Tiger model. hehehe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.6 GHz // Motherboard - ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO // GFX - ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB // RAM - Patriot-Viper II 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3-1600 // Audio - Creative X-FI Platinum // OS - Windows 7 Home x64 Bit

CH Fighterstick // CH Pro Pedals // CH Pro Throttle // TrackIR 4 // Eyefinity 20"x3 Portrait :joystick:

DCS still has an ugly Kamov Ka-52 Alligator model (legacy of Lock On) :D

You should try to make a new one

I guess Ka-52 model is already in the works by ED.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I would like a flyable Longbow... Is that what you are working on or just an AI model?

Eagle Dynamics released some work in progress screenshots of Apache already:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/SUBS17/all_037a_015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/SUBS17/all_037a_014.jpg

Apache will come to DCS series after the Warthog.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I would like one (or more) of the followings;

-Super Puma

-Cougar

-Bo-105

-Bell 407

-Bell 212 (incl. UH-1N)

-Bell 412 (incl. CH-146 and UH-1Y)

-EH-101

-EC-135

-AS-350 and 355

-Mangusta

-Tiger

-NH-90

Both on civilian and military versions. Then we could integrate same civilian helicopter models in the missions (humanitarian support missios?). And maybe at some point when tools are released develop some good cockpit and flight model for some of those less complex machines.

Best regards and good luck with the modeling fun.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

why is no one interestet in the MI-28 havoc.......if i had to choose one, that would be the one..... :)

Wait on the westernes more easterners......

flyable

Ka-52

MI-24

MI-28

then the westeners....lol..

If only i could model :(

any new edition would be welcome, just not any guess work restrictet data wannabe thingy

I would like one (or more) of the followings;

-Super Puma

-Cougar

-Bo-105

-Bell 407

-Bell 212 (incl. UH-1N)

-Bell 412 (incl. CH-146 and UH-1Y)

-EH-101

-EC-135

-AS-350 and 355

-Mangusta

-Tiger

-NH-90

How boring!

I would like to have a Snow-Speeder and a X-Wing! (serious!)

And a B-Wing would be also very appreciated!!

Edited by urze

• 2 weeks later...
How boring!

I would like to have a Snow-Speeder and a X-Wing! (serious!)

And a B-Wing would be also very appreciated!!

Lol! That would be great too. But it has to have all the systems detailed. :)

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

Don't worry about the Details, Focha!

I have a "direct link".

Yoda and Obi-Wan are taking with me every time !...:smilewink:

:P

Edit: ...Oh wait! They answered me again (!!! i pixx my pants! )- and they said something like:

that the cockpit is very elementary and similar to a one of a Russian attack helicopter ....

Edited by urze