The Supercarrier & VR; is it possible to achieve 90fps?

obious

Let me start off by saying that I love the SC, it really adds to naval ops immersion with DCS. By way of a bit of context, I fly primarily in VR (Reverb G1 native res @ 90Hz; most eye candy settings turned down to accommodate).

After coming back to DCS after a summer break (I normally put down my HOTAS during summer whilst the weather is nice outdoors), I thought I’d fly a few simple custom mission I created a little while ago to reacquaint myself with CV ops.

However, I’ve noticed that performance with a simple CASE I recovery mission I have is nowhere near where it used to be (this custom mission I created uses the Stennis instead of the SC for performance reasons); I’m thinking maybe ED updated the Stennis textures to that of the SC recently?

With the drop in perf I’m now seeing when using the Stennis, I thought I’d update all my missions to use the SC but it leads me to  question, is it possible at all to get 90fps when sitting on the deck of the carrier (looking at the island causes even more of a performance drop)? If so, what settings do I need to tone down? Is anyone else able to run the SC smoothly at 90fps?

I can take a screenshot of my settings if needed but ultimately I’m wondering if there’s a way to run 90Hz with the SC at all? 

I did think about posting this in the VR forum but thought, as its specific to the SC, to post it here

Thanks 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

5 hours ago, obious said:

I’m thinking maybe ED updated the Stennis textures to that of the SC recently?

They did exactly that. You probably just missed the announcement when on holiday! Shame on you for not keeping up! 😉

Just kidding, hope you enjoyed it. 90 FPS? I can't even get 30 on my old computer on my flatscreen! 😄 Well, it's 9 years old need an upgrade. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

No i don't think it is possible to get 90 fps in VR with any kind of hardware right now even if you had the best computer in the world unless you either use motion reprojection or reduce render resolution significantly, both options really ruin the experience for me so i just got used to my 40 fps.

Edited by Grodin
  • Like 2

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

On 9/9/2022 at 7:30 PM, MAXsenna said:
On 9/9/2022 at 1:55 PM, obious said:

I’m thinking maybe ED updated the Stennis textures to that of the SC recently?

They did exactly that.

Not only that. They removed the whole old model with the new one matching quality to other SC ships (CVN-71, 72, 73 & 75).

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• ED Team
On 9/9/2022 at 12:55 PM, obious said:

Let me start off by saying that I love the SC, it really adds to naval ops immersion with DCS. By way of a bit of context, I fly primarily in VR (Reverb G1 native res @ 90Hz; most eye candy settings turned down to accommodate).

After coming back to DCS after a summer break (I normally put down my HOTAS during summer whilst the weather is nice outdoors), I thought I’d fly a few simple custom mission I created a little while ago to reacquaint myself with CV ops.

However, I’ve noticed that performance with a simple CASE I recovery mission I have is nowhere near where it used to be (this custom mission I created uses the Stennis instead of the SC for performance reasons); I’m thinking maybe ED updated the Stennis textures to that of the SC recently?

With the drop in perf I’m now seeing when using the Stennis, I thought I’d update all my missions to use the SC but it leads me to  question, is it possible at all to get 90fps when sitting on the deck of the carrier (looking at the island causes even more of a performance drop)? If so, what settings do I need to tone down? Is anyone else able to run the SC smoothly at 90fps?

I can take a screenshot of my settings if needed but ultimately I’m wondering if there’s a way to run 90Hz with the SC at all? 

I did think about posting this in the VR forum but thought, as its specific to the SC, to post it here

Thanks 

Hi, 

glad you are enjoying the supercarrier, we have more updates to come. 

As for reaching 90 fps in VR on the deck you are not going to, there is a lot to render on the supercarrier deck, your goal should be to target 45fps in VR, if you can do that you will have a good experience. 
We have multi threading improvements to come which will hopefully help in the future, but it will always depend on your system spec, DCS settings and VR settings.

I run my reverb G2 at 90hz and depending on where I am and how busy the mission is I can achieve 45 - 90 FPS, when you are lower to the ground you should try to hit 45 FPS

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 9/9/2022 at 9:55 PM, obious said:

While the answer is No - you may be able to get better performance by switching to OpenXR if you're not using it. While it may not increase the FPS - it definitely increases the smoothness and performance in the headset. (There's some threads on here about it).

I suspect that the 90hz on the carrier isn't a GPU issue (hence lowering settings won't help) but I suspect in part it's also a CPU bound issue. (Lots of stuff going on). BigNewy's hint of multi-threading improvements coming also hints of CPU stuff - so if I'm right - no amount of hardware update will achieve 90fps on the SC at the moment, but once they release multithreading to us - it sounds like it should definitely be possible - depending on PC specs.

The simple answer is no. Performance in DCS World is something of a controversial subject. For the most part you have people clamoring for increased visual fidelity, they want to see every single rivet on every single landing gear wheel-well, and Eagle Dynamics seems to oblige them more often than not. Every single module that was released for the past couple of years or so has been more demanding than the previous one. The complexity of the missions and scripts has gone up, AI has been revamped, etc. etc. etc.

There are improvements in the pipeline, people are waiting for multicore and Vulcan, but they are not going to be the magic bullet that fixes everything if and when they come. Throwing more money at the problem and getting better hardware only takes you so far, I've got a pretty decent system and I've kind of given up chasing frames, since with every patch and update the performance is all over the place. 

So the complex answer is still.....no. Don't chase your frames, or you will start doing what I've been doing and that is, flying in DCS world less and less. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so, I thought I’d post an update here since I am now in possession of a shiny new 4090. 
After tweaking my graphics settings (140% PD in SteamVR, shadows on medium, x2 MSAA are the main ones), in now able to get steady 90fps (8.5ms GPU frame time) when navigating the Supercarrier during the day which is glorious.

That being said, night ops on the SC is a whole other ball game. Due to the island flood lights, FPS tanks which is a real shame.

I’ve raised a ‘wish list’ item to turn off the island flood lights at night so I really hope it gets implemented 

Edited by obious

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

1 hour ago, obious said:

Ok so, I thought I’d post an update here since I am now in possession of a shiny new 4090. 
After tweeting my graphics settings (140% PD in SteamVR, shadows on medium, x2 MSAA are the main ones), in now able to get steady 90fps (8.5ms GPU frame time) when navigating the Supercarrier during the day which is glorious.

That being said, night ops on the SC is a whole other ball game. Due to the island flood lights, FPS tanks which is a real shame.

I’ve raised a ‘wish list’ item to turn off the island flood lights at night so I really hope it gets implemented 

So, when you taxi around at night with no flood lights, how do you propose to see? Cut off your nose to spite your face stuff right here, don't you think?

• Like 2

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

13 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

So, when you taxi around at night with no flood lights, how do you propose to see? Cut off your nose to spite your face stuff right here, don't you think?

Couple points here:

• NVGs (if total black out ops are a thing). Also, don't take what I'm suggesting (turning off island flood lights until they're 'optimized') to mean that I want a completely dark carrier, absolutely not. Before you say something to the effect of 'NVGs aren't used on the decks at night', I've seen plenty of videos of night ops where pilots have them on during taxiing.
  • Also, lets not forget that the flood lights come on well before its dark; dusk and dawn flight ops have the same effect on FPS due to the island lights coming on (which is around 1hr after sunset and stay on until ~ 1 hour before sunrise) except I can't take advantage/fly around with gorgeous sunsets/lighting because of FPS limitations.
  • What I'm asking for is/should be only a temporary measure until ED 'optimize' the carrier lights or hardware catches up (yes I know both are long-term things). Hell, they've already added an option to turn off secondary shadows as they knew it would impact FPS too much, why not extend optionality to lighting and not just the results of that lighting ie shadows? 

Whilst you raise a good point about navigating the deck at night in complete darkness without floodlights being perhaps an issue (environmental factors aside; moonlight, clouds etc), your passive/aggressive and somewhat rhetorical question regarding 'cutting my nose off to spite my face' doesn't add anything of value to the conversation 

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

On 9/21/2022 at 12:51 PM, Lurker said:

The simple answer is no. Performance in DCS World is something of a controversial subject. For the most part you have people clamoring for increased visual fidelity, they want to see every single rivet on every single landing gear wheel-well, and Eagle Dynamics seems to oblige them more often than not. Every single module that was released for the past couple of years or so has been more demanding than the previous one.

This exactly, I'm buying better hardware every couple of years in the hope I can fly VR in DCS World, but I'm not catching up. Can we just stop with the visual fidelity advances for the next couple years (after you release the new weather system of course!) 😄

Would be interesting to compare framerate from an older build (say 3 years ago) with the latest.

Edited by martinistripes
  • Like 1

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

5 hours ago, obious said:

...I can't take advantage/fly around with gorgeous sunsets/lighting because of FPS limitations.

Yes, you can. There are gfx options for a reason.

3 hours ago, martinistripes said:

Can we just stop with the visual fidelity advances for the next couple years (after you release the new weather system of course!) 😄

No, this is ridiculous to ask devs to stop their job or remove some vital parts of the game just to save some fps. Optimisations are welcome though.

• Like 4

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

11 hours ago, obious said:

Couple points here:

• NVGs (if total black out ops are a thing). Also, don't take what I'm suggesting (turning off island flood lights until they're 'optimized') to mean that I want a completely dark carrier, absolutely not. Before you say something to the effect of 'NVGs aren't used on the decks at night', I've seen plenty of videos of night ops where pilots have them on during taxiing.
  • Also, lets not forget that the flood lights come on well before its dark; dusk and dawn flight ops have the same effect on FPS due to the island lights coming on (which is around 1hr after sunset and stay on until ~ 1 hour before sunrise) except I can't take advantage/fly around with gorgeous sunsets/lighting because of FPS limitations.
  • What I'm asking for is/should be only a temporary measure until ED 'optimize' the carrier lights or hardware catches up (yes I know both are long-term things). Hell, they've already added an option to turn off secondary shadows as they knew it would impact FPS too much, why not extend optionality to lighting and not just the results of that lighting ie shadows? 

Whilst you raise a good point about navigating the deck at night in complete darkness without floodlights being perhaps an issue (environmental factors aside; moonlight, clouds etc), your passive/aggressive and somewhat rhetorical question regarding 'cutting my nose off to spite my face' doesn't add anything of value to the conversation 

May I ask where you've seen pilots goggle up on deck and taxi? The light configuration is complex. Second, the deck crew would need to goggle up as well in order to see the goggled crew because the deck (would be have to be configured for such) is dark. Not to mention, the wands we use to direct with, are not NVG compatible. We don't wear NVG's on a CVN, only on LHD type ships is this accomplished. After 20 years onboard, working the Flight deck, the things you speak of are purely fantasy! I'm a retired Flight Deck Chief bro. And a total blackout would send everyone to the beach, as I stated in my previous post.

I was not being passive aggressive, merely stating a fact! Whilst it may be an uncomfortable truth, it is what it is. And while you may not agree, my statement about cutting your nose off still stands. There is no point in Night flight ops if you can't operate properly. The US Navy may be a lot of things these days, but we still practice safety and efficiency!

Edited by Jackjack171
  • Like 4

On 10/18/2022 at 12:25 AM, Jackjack171 said:

May I ask where you've seen pilots goggle up on deck and taxi? The light configuration is complex. Second, the deck crew would need to goggle up as well in order to see the goggled crew because the deck (would be have to be configured for such) is dark. Not to mention, the wands we use to direct with, are not NVG compatible. We don't wear NVG's on a CVN, only on LHD type ships is this accomplished. After 20 years onboard, working the Flight deck, the things you speak of are purely fantasy! I'm a retired Flight Deck Chief bro. And a total blackout would send everyone to the beach, as I stated in my previous post.

I was not being passive aggressive, merely stating a fact! Whilst it may be an uncomfortable truth, it is what it is. And while you may not agree, my statement about cutting your nose off still stands. There is no point in Night flight ops if you can't operate properly. The US Navy may be a lot of things these days, but we still practice safety and efficiency!

I just spent a little while trying to find footage on YT and I couldn’t so I’m mistaken. I don’t agree with your statement however about not doing flight ops if not being able to do them properly (I’m purely talking about DCS here and not real life before you jump to conclusions); we didn’t have flood lights for the past 4-5 years and everyone was able to ‘see’ the carrier at night without a problem. I think thats a bit like saying you shouldn’t fly if you can’t handle a bit of wake turbulence (an option that can be turned off for somer reason; was primarily suggested being able to do so would save CPU cycles). People are also asking for the ability to turn off the burble which I don’t understand (why offer the ability to turn something off that humans can’t control ie the burble yet not do so for something they can ie some lights.

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

12 hours ago, obious said:

I just spent a little while trying to find footage on YT and I couldn’t so I’m mistaken. I don’t agree with your statement however about not doing flight ops if not being able to do them properly (I’m purely talking about DCS here and not real life before you jump to conclusions); we didn’t have flood lights for the past 4-5 years and everyone was able to ‘see’ the carrier at night without a problem. I think thats a bit like saying you shouldn’t fly if you can’t handle a bit of wake turbulence (an option that can be turned off for somer reason; was primarily suggested being able to do so would save CPU cycles). People are also asking for the ability to turn off the burble which I don’t understand (why offer the ability to turn something off that humans can’t control ie the burble yet not do so for something they can ie some lights.

No worries. I was simply responding to your statement about RL NVG use on deck and if black outs are a thing. You are correct at saying that "This is DCS." You are free to play as you choose bro.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I fly with the Reverb G2 and Nvidia RTX 3080, FPS goes down to 30 on the SC at night (motion reprojection on), but it is still very enjoyable, since you do not have fast movements on the carrier deck anyway...you are supposed to taxi very slowly, especially at night. As soon as I reach the cat, fps goes up to usual 45 fps. I guess even with the RTX 4090 you will not get native 90 fps in DCS VR, you may crank up some graphic settings, but you will stay at 45 fps...

Intel Core i5-12600KF, 6x 3.60 GHz, 4xE, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, Windows 11. VR in Reverb G2 and Oculus Quest 2