Tank pressure

CBStu

For me that's usually a sign that I am overdue for the tanker stop.

I believe this happens when you empty external tanks. You can either isolate them, or drop them if refueling is not an option.

Also, pretty sure NATOPS says something about this, but... haven't read it yet.

• Thanks 1

I've seen 'Tank pres LO'  in DCS Hornet when above 20k feet and extending refueling probe. It clears itself when probe retracted. No need to rotate the bleed knob. I understand it also comes on when the gear or hook is dropped above 20k (for whatever reason).  There are other, more serious situations when this caution can pop up, from what I remember when I read NATOPS many moons ago. I haven't encountered these problems in our Hornets yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kang said:

Actually in DCS it seems to come up when climbing through roughly 20.000ft for a few seconds rather regardless of what you do or don't.

I don't see it, then again, I start 99% of my missions in the air or up and running in the parking area... could be something different when starting from cold. I'll do a cold start tonight, just to see if it makes any difference.

27 minutes ago, oldcrusty said:

I don't see it, then again, I start 99% of my missions in the air or up and running in the parking area... could be something different when starting from cold. I'll do a cold start tonight, just to see if it makes any difference.

I can also verify this one.  Same as what Kang said.  Not sure if it is weather related but it isn't anything about what I am doing in the pit as it is just flying at altitude.  I've never seen it cause any issues.  Almost like a glitch in the F/A-18 matrix so it is the boy who cried wolf for me and I just ignore it.  Doesn't always happen.

• 4 weeks later...

If the probe is extended, it's correct behavior. Probe extension stops the tank pressurization system, and the pressure is vented. Otherwise, it wouldn't be possible to refuel the tanks. Since the tanks are not pressurized, excessive maneuvering could hamper the engine fuel feed, hence the warning.

• Like 2