DCS Newsletter discussion 9th September 2022 - A-1H Skyraider | Supercarrier progress | AI BFM

BIGNEWY

For anyone wondering about the map; it is indeed southern Guam. It's the Fena Valley Reservoir.

Excuse my beyond horrendous absolutely minimal settings on my work computer, but you can see it indeed matches up. So no, it's nothing new, and not the WWII version of the map either.

unknown.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I'm happy to hear about new stuff, but I admit to finding it a bit annoying when it's more "Look! New toys are coming... in, you know... a couple of years... maybe."

I enjoy the previews, I enjoy the hype, I enjoy talking about and hearing about new stuff, I enjoy pre-ordering modules, I enjoy the speculation, but it might be nice if ED had an understanding with the community that something that is being announced will be available in given (reasonable?) time frame. Once we're into "maybe Q4 2024" territory, it's almost at the why-bother stage. 

By the time we see the MB-339, the Kfir, the C-130, the Eurofighter, the A-7, the Kola map, the Aussie map, the... the... the...  I mean, that could be a long, looooong wait.

I don’t mind them announcing but your right. People need to manage expectations since this stuff is far away. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jester986 said:

I don’t mind them announcing but your right. People need to manage expectations since this stuff is far away. 

I suppose that's part of my point; should it be us managing expectations or should it be ED managing a reasonable time frame for announced modules? At this point someone could announce a B2 bomber and a complete map of Asia for Q3 2028. Everyone cheers, the forums light up, and then... what?

ED is building hype with these announcements, and I'm all for it. I love my DCS toys. But maybe a balance between our expectations and what they can reasonably deliver within say, two-years? 

• Like 6

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

A-1H is a presale buy for me for sure.  I don't need Vietnam to make that an enjoyable module (doesn't mean we can't get it, but what a fun COIN aircraft for fictional scenarios).  Best of the new announcements since the Kola map.  

3 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I suppose that's part of my point; should it be us managing expectations or should it be ED managing a reasonable time frame for announced modules? At this point someone could announce a B2 bomber and a complete map of Asia for Q3 2028. Everyone cheers, the forums light up, and then... what?

ED is building hype with these announcements, and I'm all for it. I love my DCS toys. But maybe a balance between our expectations and what they can reasonably deliver within say, two-years? 

I think this is fair.  So many announcements lately I can't believe all of them (or maybe most of them) are anywhere near ready for OB.  I'm in the minority, but I do prefer announcements made closer to when a module is near completion to avoid the overhype.  

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Jester986 said:

Yeah my issue is kind of the same.

They're showing off untextured models (Grinnellis Super Sabre), that we shouldn't be expecting for another what.. 3 years at minimum?

And we still have ZERO answers on what's going on with the base of DCS...

The hype train can only roll for so long when literally not a single timeline is in the eyes of the public.

"Normal" gaming companies hype things when they're within a few month's release... at most!

Meanwhile what we have here is ... literally no ETA.

We still have videos from last year showing off things unreleased to the public, and "no news" on them. And entire portions of maps from videos at the start of the year with no comment on those either. Same with the weather which has had broken aspects for a year and a half now, and still not a PEEP about multithreading.

There has to be news on literally any of this stuff.... It's mind blowing that there's nothing to talk about.

But they can talk about stuff well over a year out??????????

You're not making any sense ED.

• Like 7

• ED Team
33 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

"Normal" gaming companies hype things when they're within a few month's release... at most!

Meanwhile what we have here is ... literally no ETA.

In the past we generally waited until a 3rd party module was quite far along in development; however, this has resulted in duplicated efforts and inefficiencies. Instead, once a 3rd party module has a completed license agreement, we will now announce it to allow the 3rd party to “plant a flag” and avoid duplicated efforts. Once a 3rd party project is roughly six months away from release based on an internal evaluation, more news and updates will be made available.

Because we have several 3rd party projects in development, and the change in announcement policy, we have had a flurry of announcement activity.

We wish Crosstail studios all the best with their project. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, ThorBrasil said:

out of Context,
the 3rd Party Pick line was referring to Australia, Not Vietnam.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

17 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

In the past we generally waited until a 3rd party module was quite far along in development; however, this has resulted in duplicated efforts and inefficiencies. Instead, once a 3rd party module has a completed license agreement, we will now announce it to allow the 3rd party to “plant a flag” and avoid duplicated efforts. Once a 3rd party project is roughly six months away from release based on an internal evaluation, more news and updates will be made available.

Because we have several 3rd party projects in development, and the change in announcement policy, we have had a flurry of announcement activity.

We wish Crosstail studios all the best with their project. 

I hear ya, but would you agree that modules are being announced that we will not realistically see for at least two-years? As stated, I enjoy the announcements and the hype, I'm just not sure about announcements and hype several years before the product is available. Some of are in our 50's (and more) after all. Our days are numbered. 😉

To the issue of duplicate efforts; I would have imagined a series of private conversations between devs and ED so that two-companies were not building the same plane.

In any case, I hope you're having a good day. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I hear ya, but would you agree that modules are being announced that we will not realistically see for at least two-years? As stated, I enjoy the announcements and the hype, I'm just not sure about announcements and hype several years before the product is available. Some of are in our 50's (and more) after all. Our days are numbered. 😉

To the issue of duplicate efforts; I would have imagined a series of private conversations between devs and ED so that two-companies were not building the same plane.

I agree largely with the sentiment, however, how would a non-involved 3rd party be privy to information discussed between ED and another 3rd party if it were not publicly announced?

One could invest a lot of time and effort on a project to present to ED only to find that someone else is already further ahead.

• Like 3

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Projects take time, always have, always will, especially in a simulator as complex and deep as DCS.
We will share more news on each project during their final stages before a release. 

thank you for trying to be patient 🙂

• Like 7

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

18 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I'm 37, and I'm getting worried I'll die before I get my F4U Corsair (bus, asteroid,  planet of the swans scenario. Many ways to die)

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

• ED Team
10 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I'm 37, and I'm getting worried I'll die before I get my F4U Corsair (bus, asteroid,  planet of the swans scenario. Many ways to die)

wait until you are nearly 50 then you can start to worry. I wish I was 37 again, try to stay healthy and think positive thoughts, you will be fine. 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I'm 37, and I'm getting worried I'll die before I get my F4U Corsair

39 since a few days 😄 and think that possibility of enjoying as many of my favorite aircraft as possible in DCS is an ever diminishing goal 😄 but well, things take as long as they take, not any less 🙂

Looks like the number of 3rd parties is increasing exponentially these days, so hopefully we may get more and more frequent module releases in the coming years. But yeah... the Corsair is really taking its sweet time 🙂

I am happy to see a lot of the aircraft I've always been interested in being announced these days. And then, there are the new wave of almost full fidelity paid level free mods from community that plug some of the gaps pretty greatly.

A-1 Skyraider is one of those things I always wanted to see in a sim, so cool news for me 🙂

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

17 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I remember feeling like you do now. 
HB just announced their F14, I was just starting flight school and was anxious it would come out just when my dreams would have been shattered and I was out of a job and broke.

I was 😂

but in the end everything worked perfectly and I’m fine(and broke)

you will live to see so many more modules than just the F4U, I’m sure

Edited by Badger1-1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

wait until you are nearly 50 then you can start to worry. I wish I was 37 again, try to stay healthy and think positive thoughts, you will be fine. 

Healthy and positivity won't help when the swans come for us. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

lol. planet of the golden retriever puppies. don't let them take you to the ground because you will be a goner. 58 here. that is my fantasy of death.

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Has this thread become how old you are? 😎

I recall the case of Cyberpunk 2077 and yeah, they may have come out in "a few months" and then...well, put it this way, the rest is history.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 minute ago, silverdevil said:

lol. planet of the golden retriever puppies. don't let them take you to the ground because you will be a goner. 58 here. that is my fantasy of death.

I've survived 10 Siberian husky puppies. 

FB_IMG_1662751292213.jpg

FB_IMG_1662751295876.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Once a 3rd party project is roughly six months away from release based on an internal evaluation, more news and updates will be made available.

So, since there hasn't been any recent news or updates about the F4U I assume that it's more than six months away?

FYI, MB-339 for DCS submitted its first binary to ED Oct last year. It was in the newsletter back in Jan and my £££ is still waiting for it.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

41 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Projects take time, always have, always will, especially in a simulator as complex and deep as DCS.
We will share more news on each project during their final stages before a release. 

thank you for trying to be patient 🙂

Ever the diplomat. 😎

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, HeavyGun1450 said:

I wonder when the new Multi-Core and Vulkan module will be released? 🤣

Wont be a "module" and multi-threading is in early testing.

2 hours ago, XCNuse said:

We are not making normal games either, so there is that 😉 But I think @BIGNEWYsummed it up above.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png