New parking and taxi area textures

DragonRR

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.. very interesting. Hopefully something like that can be done as an add-on rather than being integral from the beginning. I can model and texture, but don't know poop about software. Thanks for the link.

Edited by VikVaughan

ASUS G74, Core i7-2670QM, 12GB DDR3, Geforce GTX 560M 3GB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

VV

I just can't seem to leave this alone!

V1.3

Removed the landing tyre marks. They are not realistic IMO. Should be further down the runway.

Fixed a cut issue I had missed on the runway start lines.

Minor tweaks to the parking area.

This isn't a replacement for V1.2 as such, it's more for people who don't like the tyre markings.. the other tweaks are very minor and you probably won't notice the changes.

http://www.xeos.co.uk/Runway_OLD_Concrete_V1.3_MODMAN.rar

Can we install V1.3 without use Modman ?

Yes - just unpack the folder and copy and paste the relevant folders in the relevant directory.

I'd however be negligent in not informing you that it is probably better to utilize Modman for the management of all mods - many an install has been FUBAR'd by manual installation/uninstallation of mods.

Not directed at you in particular - just had to be said is all :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

A few questions:

Although I am dubious about the demand for my original "New concrete" textures (Even I prefer my "Aged" textures) I am considering "Modmanning" my first texture set, there have been a fairly large number of downloaders. Does anyone think I really should "MODMAN" them?

With regard to the aged textures...

Although I'm reasonably happy with my 1.2 & 1.3 release there's always some room for improvement. SO.. and with the following in mind:

1. I can't really improve the connections between the textures.

2. The variation in colour between the parking/taxi and runway is deliberate.

3. I can't really put grass in! You know who you are :)

4. I can't insert landing zones into the runway or other areas (it isn't possible yet) (Thanks Necroscope)

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions?

With regard to the aged textures...

Although I'm reasonably happy with my 1.2 & 1.3 release there's always some room for improvement. SO.. and with the following in mind:

1. I can't really improve the connections between the textures.

2. The variation in colour between the parking/taxi and runway is deliberate.

3. I can't really put grass in! You know who you are :)

4. I can't insert landing zones into the runway or other areas (it isn't possible yet) (Thanks Necroscope)

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions?

I have a small one - may I suggest darkening the white lines a tiny amount. They are fairly bright against the otherwise old-looking surface. Keep up the nice work!

• Like 1

ASUS G74, Core i7-2670QM, 12GB DDR3, Geforce GTX 560M 3GB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

VV

I've redone the parking area and would like your opinions.

I've tried to get rid of the tiling which can be seen in my previous releases. IMHO it is less obvious now.

I've completely overhauled the white lining. This is new and based on this sat photo linked below. I can't quite make up my mind whether I prefer it to the original (more or less copied from ED's) or not. Note that in these shots you can't see all of it as the texture is cut off on this parking area. Each Runway has different cut off points! The irregularity of the lining is deliberate.. see the real photo.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=52.916252,103.571033&spn=0.06697,0.161018&t=k

I have still got to tune the brightness of the lining.. currently too bright imo and I still have to cut out a couple of sections where "repairs" have been done.

I should point out that I'm intending to do a final 1.4 release without the tyre scuffs on the runway.

ScreenShot_158.jpg

ScreenShot_159.jpg

ScreenShot_160.jpg

Edited by DragonRR

Brilliant!

I love that one, the white lines were always a bone of contention for me, these look like they should be there and haven't been cut and pasted.

Now for the love of god release a final and walk away! I have to check back everyday to keep up to date! :D

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The textures are tiling. The main reason is dirt I think.

I have to admit I haven't installed and played these yet (just going off the screen shots) but if anything there appears to be less tiling than before.

• Like 1

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have to admit I haven't installed and played these yet (just going off the screen shots) but if anything there appears to be less tiling than before.

You'd be doing well installing them.. unless you are hacking my PC! I haven't released 1.4 yet! ;)

There's a fine line between tiling and boring textures as I'm sure you are all aware. I either run all texturing in the direction of the tiling so that no tiling is apparent or I keep some variation but get "some" tiling when zoomed out. Obviously if I was able to use tarmac/asphalt I could reduce tiling to almost zero.. but I can't.. asphalt and tarmac is virtually non existant on Russian military airbases! The dirt is necessary imo. I've tried to make it

I feel that I've got the balance about right, it can't really be seen when flying unless you are flying very high above the runways.

Run off areas (the dirt roadways)

I've had a really good look at the run off areas. The problem is that whilst I could definitley improve them I don't think I can and come up with something suitable for all seasons and keep the realistic look which ED put in as stock. Basically unless someone can tell me how to make MODMAN able to insert the same texture name multiple times I am going to leave Run Offs alone.

From V1.4 Final:

Fixed the issue with horizontal lining, forgot to allow for the texture placement method.

And.. a few other fiddles..

ScreenShot_159-1.jpg

Edited by DragonRR
  • Like 1

Cover piccie for v1.4

Coverv14.jpg

When I see that runway I fear I'll have a very bumpy landing :P

Is really difficult to make those tiles match a littlee better? Nice Job, so far anyway

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Is really difficult to make those tiles match a littlee better? Nice Job, so far anyway

If you mean the joints then they are meant to be like that. See my "new" looking concrete if you want all joints in line.

Here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=36290

Edited by DragonRR

i dont have modman..so how can i install 1.4 Final in DCS?

I'd like to know the same thing too.

I've tried placing the 'Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL.cdds' in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\Bazar\World folder, and i've also entered the command line in graphics.cfg

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL.cdds";

but i don't appear to have any joy getting it working :huh:

I'd like to know the same thing too.

I've tried placing the 'Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL.cdds' in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\Bazar\World folder, and i've also entered the command line in graphics.cfg

but i don't appear to have any joy getting it working :huh:

I'm not too sure what you might be doing wrong although the placement of the text in your graphics.cfg file is important. It should look something like this:

----------

TextureCollections

{

highFolder = ".\\Bazar\\TempTextures\\";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Slovakia_Digital_Camo_1.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\LandTexturesBMP.cdds";

----------

The other thing you could do is extract the textures using a CDDS browser and place them in your TempTextures folder. You don't need to alter the graphics.cfg file if you use this method. The problem with this method is that the textures will use more memory. The workaround for this is to compress the textures into DDS format (You will need the DDS plugin for photoshop to do this) then rename them to bmp files and put them back into the TempTextures folder.

However.. Using Modman is by far the easiest method, it makes sure that one mod pack doesn't conflict with another, organises any mods you use and so on.