New parking and taxi area textures

DragonRR

I've had Necroscope's concrete textures installed for a week or two, without Modman.

I removed Necroscope's files and installed Modman and these textures but can't get this texture set to appear on anything but the parking areas. The runways and taxiways just show ED's textures. Any ideas?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had Necroscope's concrete textures installed for a week or two, without Modman.

I removed Necroscope's files and installed Modman and these textures but can't get this texture set to appear on anything but the parking areas. The runways and taxiways just show ED's textures. Any ideas?

Necroscope's textures overwrite onlay_vpp.sup. Did you put this back?

Cheers DragonRR!

ModMan was created for installing/removing mods. It's there to precisely get around these kind of problems. I have no idea why someone wouldn't be using it.

Anyway have fun all :D

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, as Dragon said - the reason is "Onlay" file. Here is original one form raw installation of BS.

And... I'm so sad that you betrayed me! :)

Onlay_VPP.rar

Всех убью, один останусь!

Just call me the texture tart :D

That VPP file seems very small (180kb) it doesn't seem to include any airbase textures? If I use that file then the airbase becomes a field. Installing Dragons textures over that using Mod man doesn't do anything, still the Ka50 sat in a field.

I have my original (618kb) and using that I get ED's blurry concrete. If I install Dragon's concrete textures using Modman then I get the large parking areas with the obviously sharper textures and the taxi and runways still have ED's texture.

Very odd.

Just call me the texture tart :D

That VPP file seems very small (180kb) it doesn't seem to include any airbase textures? If I use that file then the airbase becomes a field. Installing Dragons textures over that using Mod man doesn't do anything, still the Ka50 sat in a field.

I have my original (618kb) and using that I get ED's blurry concrete. If I install Dragon's concrete textures using Modman then I get the large parking areas with the obviously sharper textures and the taxi and runways still have ED's texture.

Very odd.

I get this in campaigns also. I get Dragons parking areas but the ED runway and taxiways(cant recall the airbase). If I load up the ME and just make a mission to start at Maykop , it works perfectly. Maybe there is a 2nd set of runway textures or something for different airports?

BTW it is a clean install and this is the only mod I have installed with modman, I'm using the "30year old" texture set

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

I'm not too sure what you might be doing wrong although the placement of the text in your graphics.cfg file is important. It should look something like this:

----------

TextureCollections

{

highFolder = ".\\Bazar\\TempTextures\\";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Slovakia_Digital_Camo_1.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\LandTexturesBMP.cdds";

----------

The other thing you could do is extract the textures using a CDDS browser and place them in your TempTextures folder. You don't need to alter the graphics.cfg file if you use this method. The problem with this method is that the textures will use more memory. The workaround for this is to compress the textures into DDS format (You will need the DDS plugin for photoshop to do this) then rename them to bmp files and put them back into the TempTextures folder.

However.. Using Modman is by far the easiest method, it makes sure that one mod pack doesn't conflict with another, organises any mods you use and so on.

dragon i dont have any of these tools an im lost when you said CDDS browser..

I get this in campaigns also. I get Dragons parking areas but the ED runway and taxiways(cant recall the airbase). If I load up the ME and just make a mission to start at Maykop , it works perfectly. Maybe there is a 2nd set of runway textures or something for different airports?

BTW it is a clean install and this is the only mod I have installed with modman, I'm using the "30year old" texture set

That's odd. The only possibility I can think of is that the campaign missions directly call the original textures (they are still there). I haven't yet played a campaign mission which has a runway in .. just FARPS so far!

It's the ED CDDS tool, search the forum, your looking for a page with about 3 or 4 different tools on it (an actual ED forum post), one of which is the CDDS tool.

can you point me ro that dirctions?

btw i do not have photoshop so how do i compress the files?

dragon i dont have any of these tools an im lost when you said CDDS browser..

Ok here's a NON MODMAN version :)

Note this uses the exploit I found along with my programmer friend where you can use DDS textures if you rename them to BMP. ED MIGHT remove this "feature".

http://www.xeos.co.uk/Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL.rar

NON-MODMAN VERSION

OK I have a workaround for this which involves getting the NON MODMAN version I put up a short while ago (see previous post). This works fine. I presume that the "TempTextures" folder overrides ALL textures whereas "common" textures don't in some cases. I'll try PMing Skypat about this. He might know a MODMAN fix.

EDIT:

Found a fix for the MODMAN version.

I *think* the problem is that ED call different CDDS files for spring and winter, the "common" texture doesn't override spring and winter calls.

Open your graphics.cfg file found here:

C:\(YOURPATH)\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50 English\Config\graphics.cfg

Open the file with notepad.exe

NOTE!! THERE IS NO SPACE BETWEEN "cdd" and "s"

Find this:

--------

TextureCollections

{

--------

Insert the following immediately below this line:

--------

spring = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL.cdds";

winter = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL.cdds";

autumn = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL.cdds";

--------

It should then look something like this:

--------

TextureCollections

{

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Slovakia_Digital_Camo_1.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\LandTexturesTGA.cdds";

--------

Save the file, run Blackshark.

Your campaign missions should now have the new runways etc.. I've tested this and it APPEARS to work fine.

EDIT2:

Thanks mogster for spotting I'd missed autumn!

Edited by DragonRR

I might have the version prior to 1.4 cause in my graphics.cfg is just :

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway.cdds";

I added

spring = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway.cdds";

winter = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway.cdds";

I created then a new mission in winter and no change... the parkings are drawn with the new texture but the taxies and main runway get the old texture.

Is something that should work only with 1.4? Where do I get 1.4?

edit.

now I see on the first page that the link to 1.4 actualy works after clicking again the link inside the page that opens :D...

I go check now.

edit 2

I checked it is working now with 1.4 ... I had 1.2.

thanx.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

For some reason Autum still doesn't work for me. I create missions in Summer, Spring, Winter the sharp runway textures appear but autumn loads up ED's blurry textures.

I've even added Autumn = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway.cdds";

Edit.....................

This is how my edited cgf looks.

TextureCollections

{

summer = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\LandTexturesTGA.cdds";

spring = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\LandTexturesSprBMP.cdds";

spring = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\LandTexturesSprTGA.cdds";

Edited by Mogster

For some reason Autum still doesn't work for me. I create missions in Summer, Spring, Winter the sharp runway textures appear but autumn loads up ED's blurry textures.

I've even added Autumn = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Dragon_OLD_Runway.cdds";

Mogster. I've just tried this. I forgot about Autumn lol. Well I added this line:

Below the winter line and tested it. It seems to work OK on mission I changed to Autumn. Silly question but your line doesn't quite match mine. Are you using 1.4? If you are have you changed the filename?

Ah you edited your post whilst I was typing. Well I don't understand at all then.. Try removing the summer line?

Edited by DragonRR

I'd added the line but I'd used a A for autum instead of an a ..... :music_whistling:

Working now in all missions, thanks for your help everyone.

These really are a big improvement, screenies of the heli on the airfield look so much better. I can't understan why ED didn't do it this way. An improved dirt texture for the unpaved parking areas would complete the look though :)

I'd added the line but I'd used a A for autum instead of an a ..... :music_whistling:

Working now in all missions, thanks for your help everyone.

These really are a big improvement, screenies of the heli on the airfield look so much better. I can't understan why ED didn't do it this way. An improved dirt texture for the unpaved parking areas would complete the look though :)

LOL.

Do you mean the small runoff areas going up to the bunkers.. etc.?

If you do mean that then it's awkward. If I "improve" say the summer one.. it will either just be displayed in summer.. or in all seasons with a summer texture. I can get away with that with my other textures because they don't have any grass in them (actually the runways have a thin grass border which I replaced with gravel) but the runoffs have a lot of grass around them. I could get rid of that but then (imo) they wouldn't look realistic anymore..

EDIT:

Well I've had a bit of a think about this.. I didn't know at first that the summer, winter, spring and autumn textures could be called independently. I might be able to do this afterall.

Edited by DragonRR

I've found a way to do this which I quite like. I don't *think* it will be Modman compliant tho. :( It exploits the ability to rename textures. Basically I can create some textures as DDS files with Alpha transparency. So.... I can do some nice paving with a very small edge and make the grass transparent to show the lansdcape texture beneath. This will then cover all seasons, hopefully without an issue.

Currently I'm looking at some sat photos to get some inspiration. Hopefully I'll get something done in the next few days. It shouldn't take too long. (famous last words!) :music_whistling:

TO DRAGONRR.

Hey dude. First I apologize for this request, but I have just been following this thread and for me it's a mess. I would like to install your very last version of this addon with new textures for runways, parking areas, taxi ways, etc, etc. I'm not sure wich is the good or the last one. Do you mind send me a private with the link? I´d appreciate a lot.

Cruz de San Andres

First learn to fly. Then learn to fight.

[sIGPIC]www.cruzdesanandres.com[/sIGPIC]

Well I've sent you a link.. this one:

http://www.xeos.co.uk/Dragon_OLD_Runway_V1.4_FINAL_MODMAN.rar

However you MIGHT mean my newly laid textures!?

These are on the very first post.

I have tried to make the first post reasonably clear.

I think the best thing I can do is create two new threads...

• Like 1

Thank you DragonRR, got this all working now, and i have to say the texturing looks amazing :thumbup:

Thanks Mustang :)

This is WORK IN PROGRESS for the runoff areas.

I've actually got the texture named incorrectly. The final will have small roads/paved areas to each bunker.

These areas probably aren't replaced very often at all.. so I have some ageing to do still and several other bits and bobs.

EDIT:

Struggling with further aging, doesn't blend well to the Taxi roads. Will probably age from front to back..

ScreenShot_166.jpg

Edited by DragonRR

wow, dragon - the run off areas are the salt in the soup. . . i like them very very much.

are they included in the last version u have ready for download or still wip?

if it is still neccessary i can send u some pics of those areas from former soviet airbases?!

regards

Edited by flanker1