Periodic Stutter in VR

seven10

Sorry if this has been reported before, but I couldn't find any previous reports of this.

I'm not sure why, but the Harrier when flying in VR will go through 5-10 sec of complete slide show stutter every 5 minutes or so. I have not experienced anything remotely similar in the ED or Heatblur modules, so I'm not sure what's going on or what to test.

My system specs are below and I'm currently using OpenXR with my G2 rather than SteamVR. I thought perhaps something was causing instability with my cpu and gpu overclocks, but even with those off I get the same behavior.

If anyone can let me know what else I should look at or report for this I'd be grateful.

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org

I'll have to try SteamVR again, the issue with that was I had to run quite a bit lower resolution with less graphical options turned up. I'm trying to get a good video and track of what's happening as well.

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro

I was able to capture a couple instances of the stutter on a basic training mission on NTTR with 10 enemy units.

I couldn't upload the trk file here, but I put in my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IDJbHdSD_njdFTpfBAgN1j6S_x_XMuao/view?usp=sharing

I also clipped two sections of video from the mission:

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you're right on that one, running the same mission and only using the velocity vector or dmt to acquire targets I never had any stutter like before. I'll have to do some more test and see if I can narrow down more when it happens.

• 3 weeks later...

At least on my system it does seem performance related with the use of the tpod after all and I can provide additional tracks if needed. If I run in on a target with the tpod displayed once I go to turn away I start getting the frame drop stutter around the point that masking begins. If I have the FLIR or DMT views up either designated or undesignated I do not ever get the stutter.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Exactly the same problem here, only with the harrier and using the TPOD. Reverb G2 user also.

EDIT: i do use openxr toolkit and open composite but that has never been an issue in other modules even in 4 hours long sessions day in day out, I've only seen it with the harrier.

I will update a track of the issue when happens again although normally is some minutes inside the mission after an attack run with the TPOD masked.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

I haven't been able to retest for the last few updates since I'm away from my simrig, but it was still happening in 2.8 even with an upgrade to a 5800X3D and RTX 4080. Hopefully with some engine updates and updates to the Harrier it can be fixed as the Harrier has become one of my favorite planes in DCS.

I haven't been able to retest for the last few updates since I'm away from my simrig, but it was still happening in 2.8 even with an upgrade to a 5800X3D and RTX 4080. Hopefully with some engine updates and updates to the Harrier it can be fixed as the Harrier has become one of my favorite planes in DCS.
same, it's a real pity if a bug like this doesn't get squashed up eventually.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have been able to fly and test this again on the updated rig and it's still happening, though maybe slightly less so. This is in single threaded since the lights for the Harrier are bugged in MT currently.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2023 at 4:39 AM, falcon_120 said:

normally is some minutes inside the mission after an attack run with the TPOD masked.

Yup this is my exact experience as well, I'm not in VR though this is 2d and it's not a cpu/gpu performance issue, I'm normally running 140+fps but typically right after a run on the target when the TPOD gets masked, I get a massive frame dump (frame time as well) from 140fps down to 20-30 fps. Sometimes lasts for a good 10 seconds or so. Really great for SA as you're getting shot at...  

Has this issue been acknowledged by anyone? It's killing the module for me, seems like it's been going on for quite some time.

3 hours ago, Boogdud said:

Yup this is my exact experience as well, I'm not in VR though this is 2d and it's not a cpu/gpu performance issue, I'm normally running 140+fps but typically right after a run on the target when the TPOD gets masked, I get a massive frame dump (frame time as well) from 140fps down to 20-30 fps. Sometimes lasts for a good 10 seconds or so. Really great for SA as you're getting shot at...  

Has this issue been acknowledged by anyone? It's killing the module for me, seems like it's been going on for quite some time.

Right, it's repeatable on my end at least in VR. I have not tried 2d, but I can give it a go as well and see.